Wink of The Poet's Eye--Day Two

Go ahead. Talk about it.
Lightning Rod

Wink of The Poet's Eye--Day Two

Post by Lightning Rod » September 1st, 2004, 10:02 am

Night Two

This was touchy-feely night at the RNC. I don't know who wrote their jokes, but I thought Milton Berle was dead. What is it about Republicans and lame jokes? I thought it was especially rich to hear the Bush Twins say that they had been raised to honestly represent themselves just like their father does. And this coming from the mouths of the chicas who had been busted in Austin for using phony ID's to buy their margaritas.

Arnold the Governator gave a rousing speech on the joys of moving to America, becoming a movie star and making a hundred million dollars and then going into politics. Anybody can do it in the land of opportunity, yadda yadda yadda and it's all because of President Bush. Arnold, don't be a girlie-man and say whatever they want you to say. Oh, I forgot, you're an actor. You go by the script.

You can't help but like Laura Bush. She's a gracious and warm Southern lady. I'm sure she pees lemonade and sweats pure perrier water. Oh, excuse me, ladies don't sweat, they glow. And in our system a wife can't testify against her husband, so she told about his soul searching in the situation room after 9/11 and didn't mention about having to give him the Heimlich maneuver to dislodge the pretzel.

But Laura was warm and charming as usual. Did I mention gracious? Oh yes, gracious. But you could tell she was reading a speech that she didn't write. I'll bet that when they are alone, she orders him around like a little puppy. And he probably loves it.

Even the delegates seemed to be yawning on sensitivity night at the RNC, but the evening was not without it's excitement. A hooded protester invaded the Chris Mathews show in mid-interview to be tackled by a security guard. They hastily cut away to Cambell Brown on the convention floor.

And a 21-year-old Yale student, posing as a volunteer at the Republican National Convention, got within 10 feet of Vice President Dick Cheney and shouted anti-war statements before being dragged away. Imagine getting within 10 feet of Dick Cheney. The boy was obviously having a religious experience.

stay tuned.
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

Zlatko Waterman

Post by Zlatko Waterman » September 1st, 2004, 11:01 am

The last lines about "having a religious experience" are marvelous, LR.

When Richard Nixon was running for governor of California ( in 1962, unsuccessfully) I was a junior in highschool.

Going to hear the speech ( at the local college!), I waited in the reception line and shook his hand.

It wasn't as much of a religious experience as meeting Liberace in a shopping mall in Reno when I was teaching at UNR, Reno in 1971.

Good spiel, Meister.

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » September 1st, 2004, 11:13 am

Liberace!?

I would have gone down in a swoon.

He was the real King of Pop
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

hester_prynne

LRod....

Post by hester_prynne » September 1st, 2004, 4:49 pm

I agree with Zlatko...good spiel master.....
I am grateful to you for your review, being as I couldn't bear to watch. It made me sick to my stomach. :shock:
you are very brave and strong for having watched it, and I thank you for filling us in.
H :)

Return to “General Discussion”