this one
Check out The Obama Trilogy Here
Free Rice

"the lesson is... if you want it? keep a copy of it." Doreen Peri

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Re: Mortality

Post by Doreen Peri » January 21st, 2013, 5:19 pm

The Obama Trilogy site was one of Barry Gremillion's projects. Clay was designing the site for him. Barry probably decided not to proceed with the project.

The other links I posted should include a vast majority of his body of work.

Searching Studio8, also, should yield additional writings he may not have included on his websites.

zero_hero

Post by zero_hero » January 21st, 2013, 5:40 pm

Thank you Doreen.

I want to try and tell you how much Studio Eight means to me but I am afraid I would sound mawkish.

So I am going to put my money where my mouth is.
Free Rice

"the lesson is... if you want it? keep a copy of it." Doreen Peri

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » January 22nd, 2013, 5:09 pm

zero_hero wrote:Thank you Doreen.

I want to try and tell you how much Studio Eight means to me but I am afraid I would sound mawkish.

So I am going to put my money where my mouth is.
thank YOU so much for all you've given to S8 through the years, Jack. And many thanks for your kind, generous donation. Appreciated. It's only donations right now that help keep the site running since my income has plummeted. I'm working on correcting that.

To everyone... I have a problem with mortality. Even though I'm not afraid to die and actually sometimes wish I could just get on with it when times are rough, especially, I still have a hard time accepting the death of friends.

I lost a friend I knew 20 years ago only 3 weeks ago. I've remained close to him and his family through the years.

And now Clay is leaving us and though I thought I was prepared for it, I'm not. I'm working on it.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » January 23rd, 2013, 4:39 pm

It has been a while since a friend of mine died. I don't handle grief very well. After my father died I could not get to sleep without the thought of suicide in my mind. I would lay there and imagine my room mates rifle tucked up under my chin and my finger on the trigger and I would drop off into oblivion like Michael Jackson on Propofol™

But that was fifty one years ago. When I was a kid I used to pray that I would die before my siblings.

I don't have as much fear of death for myself as I do fear for those I love.

So many women poets in the fifties martyred on Freud's couch I hate to mention his name but he said
the artist is endowed with a creative personality and a ruthless passion that allows him to separate his own grief feelings of melancholia from his grief feelings of mourning (death/rebirth or creativity cycle). Longing for normalcy, the artist is constantly fought by his need for art, by his vision, by his inner life. Beset by melancholia, his ruthless passion for his inner life during his session (days, weeks, months) of producing an art work separates him from his neurosis. Grief is interpreted as mourning, not depression. Mourning, a positive process in life, leads the sufferer to change and growth, to a kind of rebirth, to a condition previously unknown.
Therefore, it is Joyce's language of grief, not of melancholy, which in Portrait (as well as in Ulysses and Finnegans Wake) surges and ebbs, exceeds traditional edges, is sometimes extinguished, but then is revived. This language is left in a new place, in a new form."

Return to “General Discussion”