What Would God Do?

Go ahead. Talk about it.
Nazz

Post by Nazz » August 20th, 2009, 2:02 pm

Maybe God is the yinyang circle of everything in opposition. Matter and anti-matter. God times God. Boom! Big bang. 42, maybe. All that and a bag of chips. And barbecue sauce. Is it lunch yet? I'm hungry.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » August 20th, 2009, 2:18 pm

Beats me Nazz. I don't know what G-d is. I used to think G-d was Jewish. I used to think Jews were the chosen people until I found out what they were chosen for.

I don't spend much time wondering what G-d is anymore. G-d is. That is about as far as I take it anymore. G-d is.

I don't feel the need to know what G-d is anymore. It is what it is.

A mystery to me.

Barry

Post by Barry » August 20th, 2009, 2:55 pm

Okay, truck. You got it. "God pouring God into God." Yeah, that's exactly what I've been trying to say, said by a much more articulate man than I.
I don't think of God as the Big Magnet. I think of God as the big magnetic FIELD...made by all the little magnets...namely, us. Any future human science of consciousness, I've not a doubt in my mind, will follow the theory of electromagnetism. Little magnets join to make a larger magnetic field than any of them can make on their own. God pouring God into God, as JD states so eloquently. And the God I mean is the only god with any possibility of proof of existence, which proof so many are in need of. It'll be a sad day when human science proves the existence of God. For then the mystery will be dispelled. Even so, God will not then cease to exist. He'll just be better understood. And perhaps better loved by all us individual discrete units of consciousness (little wandering pieces of God), all us little magnets floating in the big magnetic FIELD.
yinyang circle of everything in opposition
Opposition is such a loaded word in this day, so much baggage. I like pairs of opposites better. Everything in existence, no matter how you break it down, comes down to pairs of opposites. God and the devil...Love and hate...Peace and war...Good and bad...Dis and dat...and on and on and on. It's the western psyche that insists on seeing the light as good and the dark as bad. The Tao shows plainly that one cannot be without the other. I began to understand this about myself in 1992, that I was human, and that I was good, light, but that I have a dark side, too. Just like everyone. It's a long story, but let's just say it spun me off into oblivion for quite some time. And it's still debatable whether I made it back or not. Probably always will be. But that's life, right? :)

Peace,
Barry

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » August 20th, 2009, 6:43 pm

god... now there's that word again and again, but did this god tell someone his name once upon a time?

god: "hey, joseph, nice meeting you. my name is god and i made everything including my name. do you like it? i thought it was short and to the point... kinda unforgettable, you know?"

joseph: "yeah, it's an alright word.. like you said it's short and to the point but what language are you speaking here? why does your name have to have translations? can't everyone just settle for 'g-o-d'? i mean why these other words? why don't you tell everyone to call you god. now that would be easier wouldn't it? no confusion, no translation problems, no nothing but 'god'..?

god: "that's not my problem, if it is a problem. that's you guys doing. your the ones that are never satisfied with the way things are... always fucking around with this and that like this world i made was just some kinda playground for you all. i can't wait until your kind grow up... but that's my fault, i guess... i was on galactic time and not this earth time. whatcha gonna do..?"

Barry

Post by Barry » August 20th, 2009, 8:03 pm

I like that little bit of dialogue, Cecil. But didn't Moses ask God what His name was? And didn't God answer, "IAMTHATIAM,"? That always sounded to me like just what a god that was the God of universal consciousness would say. Very tricky and enigmatic, IT is.;)

Peace,
Barry
PS: Or maybe a spacealien trying to bring us backward human savages into the wider world of galactic culture? One from a species that has already proven God's existence scientifically? And knows we'll get there someday but wanted to help us along?

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » August 20th, 2009, 8:41 pm

"IAMTHATIAM," is not the word 'God', but it is in English. ;)

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » August 20th, 2009, 9:05 pm

mmm... do?, no idea! the word god sounds somehow funny, I like it! I can´t avoid to read it also in reverse way. But Dios sounds so catholic-like to me!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Barry

Post by Barry » August 21st, 2009, 12:19 pm

"I have walked with the Lord
I have ridden the dog
Been in league with them both
all my life."

From a poem I wrote long, long ago titled "Singing the Long Song."

I'm with you, Arcadia.

Peace,
Barry

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » August 22nd, 2009, 5:47 am

"but most of all
I have learned
to have compassion for the young"

Something I wrote to someone on Studio 8 a while back.

You wrote
I think it's fundamentally imperative that those who know talk, and that those who don't know listen. And I think that power is an ephemeral issue that really only matters to corporeal beings.
Speaking the Unspoken Thing is not a way to declare or maintain power.
Not speaking it is.

What I know is violence Barry. The beast within me. I have struggled with that since I was three feet tall.

You might remember November 22, 1963 as the day that a president was murdered. I remember it as the day I come close to suicide by matricide. I know what by the Grace of G-d means now. I had my hands around her throat and something stopped me. I don't know if it was the look on her face or what. But I still remember the feeling of her throat in my hands. Maybe that is what scares me so much about Obama getting killed. My own insanity. I pray constantly for his safety. I don't know what I pray to anymore. I don't try to imagine what G-d is anymore. I guess the closest I come to it is Nature., But when you said G-d is a pair bond like everything else that floored me. I don't think everything is a pair bond, I think duality is a function of our brains, I think it is wired in. I think the Buddhists, many of them, know that. The oneness that is beyond the event horizon of our thoughts.

I have spent a long night contemplating murder of a guy who I worked with on a trawler out of Astoria. Not a passing thought and no thought of getting away with it. If I had access to a gun he would be dead...that is when I decided to join the Quakers, I needed to make a stand about violence. I spent many nights after my fathers death falling asleep imagining a shot gun under my chin with my finger on the trigger. The day JFK was assassinated all that violence came boiling out of me directed towards my poor mother. (abreaction)
I tried to hang myself when I was eight years old
I am got dam mess
I can't hardly judge anyone anymore.
But being the ridiculous man that I am, I still judge.

"

I don't think science and religion are incompatible. I think true science is a passionate curiosity, and an ability to live with mystery. I am trying to find the bit you wrote about science finding out what G-d is, I have not found the exact wording yet. I don't think it will happen. Always will be a mystery.
We now have creationists on TV wearing white lab coats who can prove that Fred Flintstone rode a dinosaur to work.

We are a generation apart. I don't know what a difference twenty years make but I spent much time trying to think about G-d.

On the word refuse, the Jews have been treated like refuse. What gets me is how they have been used to justify end time scenarios. It is not my religion. It is a racial thing. Isn't that special. Christianity, Islam, and Judaism, three religions with an end time scenario, waiting for the Messiah to come. Some people think he will come in a UFO from outer space. Who knows?

“Our religion keeps reminding us that we aren't just will and thoughts. We're also sand and wind and thunder. Rain. The seasons. All those things. You learn to respect everything because you are everything. If you respect yourself, you respect all things.”
William Least Heat Moon quote
I am all too human
I accept myself
I despise myself
I respect myself
"I know / there is / perfection in the being / of my being, / that I am holy in amness / as stars or / paperclips

A. R. Ammons: "God Is the Sense the World Makes without God."
That is what I can speak to concerning G-d

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » August 22nd, 2009, 8:34 am

"Lord if you won't take care of us
won't you please please let us be"

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vEKuGcmW70I&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vEKuGcmW70I&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Barry

Post by Barry » August 22nd, 2009, 8:36 pm

Jacob

Post by Jacob » August 24th, 2009, 10:34 pm

Barry wrote:THe question was not, "What would a god do?" but "What would God do?"
Okay then. Then which god are you talking about? I stand by what I said in either case. ;)
Barry wrote:But as far as "God" the word, you know, the G-word everyone has such a problem with, that is the symbol of which I speak, like the flag is the symbol of our nation but not our nation. Burn the flag all you want. The nation still stands. Deny the existence of "God" all you want. God is still there. Or do you not have a mind? ;)
Symbols don't mean much, other than to identify, I'm in agreeance. Though if you have this mindset about a god, it won't matter much. What would a care care if we recognize them or not?
mtmynd wrote:god... now there's that word again and again, but did this god tell someone his name once upon a time?
Funny you should mention this. The movie Pi - Faith in Chaos tried to focus on this a bit. Fairly fascinating stuff, though I've failed to watch the movie yet. :cry:

Been reading what Barry has been saying, and it's not something too ridiculous if you think about it. We are all one creature scattered across this world, having broke free from the single entity. And while we are seperate, we are also still the same thing. One thing.

When did I first hear about this? In an anime titled Neon Genesis Evangelion. Check it out. See the world destroyed with pretty animatated colors and the like. :D

sooZen

Post by sooZen » August 26th, 2009, 8:37 am

God? Did someone mention God and bbq sauce?

My Daddy, a wise and humorous man of 84, was on his death bed, in and out of consciousness, and he imparted some wisdom to me about saviors. We had some great conversations, cosmic in fact. He believed he had an angel that was there for him, when needed, but I digress...

Dad: "What would you do if you meet a savior?"

Now I thought this question must have some import, as he was insistent..."WHAT would YOU DO if you meet a savior!!!?"

Me: (totally bamboozeled by this time as he knew my Zennist proclivities) "I am not sure Dad."

Dad with glazed eyes, clouded by approaching death and drugs: "Know what I would do?"

Me (thinking this was really, really important) "What would you do Dad?"

Dad (smiling now): "I would walk up to him, introduce myself and ask him if he would like to go eat some chile rellenos and have a beer..." He laughed and so my friends, did I.

God has more to do with bbq and chile rellenos and beer than most anything else...

As for belief, I will leave that to the believers. Still looking for that angel.
Freedom's just another word...

http://soozen.livejournal.com/

Barry

Post by Barry » August 26th, 2009, 7:34 pm

"I would walk up to him, introduce myself and ask him if he would like to go eat some chile rellenos and have a beer..."
What would a savior do when posed with such a question?

Accept, wholeheartedly, and love it the whole time, in my opinion.

In 2048 I will be 84. That is a ripe old age. This is when I intend to die, in the summertime, my favorite time of year, before my 85th birthday. I decided this almost four years ago, on my 42nd birthday, because that year I wasn't sure I would make it that far. When I did I decided, okay, halfway mark, on to 2048.
I wish to follow the example of your father, sooZen. He reads like a Great Man.

Peace,
Barry

sooZen

Post by sooZen » August 29th, 2009, 8:21 pm

Barry,

hummm, I am not sure I want to live to be that old (80's or beyond). I am not sure my body wants to live to be that old. It complains and screws up enough at 61. If I could be healthy and mobile, maybe a different story but alas, not to be.

My "dream" would be to just drop dead one day or die doing something I love to do, ala Dale Earnhardt on the last lap of the Daytona 500. Making jewelry doesn't hold much danger tho. :wink:

And yes, Dad was a remarkable man who made a mark for sure on me. Thank you.
Freedom's just another word...

http://soozen.livejournal.com/

Return to “General Discussion”