Immortality

Go ahead. Talk about it.
tinkerjack

Re: Immortality

Post by tinkerjack » January 17th, 2014, 1:02 pm

it's not like Buddhism, Zen or any other religion, or even any philosophy was created into words after the mind thought of them, eh?
Oh yeah :| "language is a bitch with an ice pick"lk

I pretty much agree everything you wrote except this:
"Jesus wasn't a Christian ... and after his enlightenment am pretty sure he was no longer a practicing Jew either."
:twisted:

you expressed my heretical faith so eloquently. But Quakers are also very careful with their religious opinions. I wish Joel or mingo or jimboloco was on this thread they know more about—the New Testament™ bible than I do. I have never read it myself. But I sat in on some online classes about it at Yale University Religious Studies
They are very scholarly about their sources.
The reason I say that is because I am wondering what is the source is of your opinion of " Jesus not being a practicing Jew"?

I know very little about the New Testament other than what I learned of the internet :wink:
on a personal note:
I have changed my religious affiliation to the Religious Society of Friends, but to the day the last maggot eats the last bit of this big sad ape body of mine, I will be a practicing Jew because I honor my mothers and fathers before me. I don't know why a doctor's office would want to know my religious affiliation? Maybe something to do with dying? :lol:

I would like to make some final preparations, I got some information from the Neptune Society about cremation maybe I should shift my affiliation to Pagan?
I never had much affiliation with Judaism either. Not even a Bar Mitzvah. Yep today I did not become a man :wink:

Have you ever read Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth? You can listen to the audio book for free on Youtube.
Have you ever read Nietzsche the Antichrist, sorry about the pop quiz just wondering :?

well I have wasted enough of your time and mine for now.
thank you for being a pen pal that I can forget about words with 8)

another spontaneous random text box in an infinite series of beat discussions
free rice

I used to be smart

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » January 17th, 2014, 4:46 pm

Re: "I pretty much agree everything you wrote except this.... The reason I say that is because I am wondering what is the source is of your opinion of " Jesus not being a practicing Jew"?"

Enlightenment is a transcendental experience that brings one into an alternative way of thinking, leaving the past indoctrinations behind for they no longer fit the new found way of knowing. I am unable to envision a Jesus who clung to his Jewish heritage simply because his teaching belonged to anyone and everyone, akin the Siddhartha's teachings after his enlightenment.

I did not intend to attack any theoretical idea that all Jews are always Jews like all American Indians are always American Indians. These are simply inherited systems of doing things but are not so engrained in some that being from a lineage of a certain cultural upbringing is immovable. If that were the case, hu'manity would never have evolved to the extent it has and will continue doing into the future.

The free choice given from the strength of love has the power to assimilate cultures into new mixes of profound change where those cultural pasts are no longer relevant to those who have followed their own path over those of prior generations. The U.S. is a perfect example of peoples from various cultures or different religious/national backgrounds having come together and created a people united in their belief of Freedom as the primary fundamental ideal of life.

I hope you understand what I'm attempting to say, amigo. I don't like the idea of getting you angry and resentful in any way.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » January 17th, 2014, 4:53 pm

BTW, Jack.., the book, Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth, by Reza Aslan, I got wind of in a recent tv conversation with the author and found the story intriguing. I put his book on my Amazon Wish List so if you'd like to gift me someday and that book is still up there, please feel free to indulge me. I'd remember for the remainder of my life! :lol: // :wink:

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » January 17th, 2014, 6:25 pm

I hope you understand what I'm attempting to say, amigo. I don't like the idea of getting you angry and resentful in any way.

Did I sound like I was angry. :? I sure was not angry dude. But maybe you have more knowledge of my emotional state than I do. Or are you just being passive aggressive :)

"Free your mind the rest will follow"
BTW:
If you click on that link above you can listen to the entire book on Youtube for free. The audiobook of it. You won't need no stinkin wish list :wink:
Here it is again

Well worth listening to, I thought, not a waste of time.

My remark about wasting your time had more to do with my careless prose than anger. Thank you for reading through it. Sincerely... it duz mean a lot to me your words and opinion. I am just staying most of what people think they know about Jesus is the result of the lies of the church fathers, who were the first public relations hacks who were spinning a new religion for the Holy Roman Empire. :twisted:
Nietzsche died for my sins. The good news is in his Antichrist. Or so it seems to me after only reading halfway through it. So far.

adios
As far as wasting my time, I have so much wood to chop and water to carry I need to stop posting for awhile and catch up.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » January 20th, 2014, 1:02 pm

Happy birthday Cecil, I lost track of your years, I hope you have started getting your social security. I don't know how you feel about that. But it makes me patriotic as hell 8)
Been a long time chattin with you on the net, 2000 or 2001, I guess.
Maybe you do know my emotional state better than me amigo, wireman asked what do you want from being a poet. for me if I was a poet it would be transparency with my friends. Friendship is practically a religion with me, even if I am an ignorant child about religion.

Maybe you do know my emotional state better than me, but if you saw anger it was not directed at you amigo. I am angry at myself and the religious lies I swallowed. I don't believe Jesus ever stopped practicing, I think you are confusing him with Paul.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » February 15th, 2014, 5:43 pm

another weird happening. this post, i.e. -
"by stilltrucking » January 20th, 2014, 1:02 pm
Happy birthday Cecil, I lost track of your years, I hope you have started getting your social security. I don't know how you feel about that..."
Only one hour ago was an email notification that this post of your was done...

Thanx for the birthday wish, JT... I finished my 60th decade and am now working on the 70th, come 4 weeks old now and counting...

jackofnightmares

Post by jackofnightmares » February 17th, 2014, 4:34 pm

I been working on staying alive too,
I'm trying to show more care for myself
not many of us old maiden uncles make it to eighty
I liked to beat the odds,

I been thinking about writing for a living
maybe getting an advertising agent
I could do some endorsements for good governance and dead presidents like them Roosevelt cousins. 8)

I am looking at my seventies as if it is my eighth decade.
I am really looking forward to eighty, after that no more colonoscopies I have heard. :D

Long time since I read sidd, like Hesse a lot, read another novel by him too, read it when I was still too young to understand

what it is to be a man child in the promised land with the ...
Bakhtiarian Steppenwolfe metafiscal homelessness blues
"Skepticism is the chastity of the intellect" Santayana The Idea of Christ in the Gospels

Return to “General Discussion”