religious faith

Go ahead. Talk about it.
stilltrucking

Re: religious faith

Post by stilltrucking » May 6th, 2013, 5:53 pm

Experience? Who has time enough for that? :wink:

"Merely a Certainty grant me, ye Gods, is the Prayer of Parmenides, and let there be over the sea of ignorance one small plank, just wide enough to lie on! Everything that becomes, that is voluptuous, damask, blossoming, deceiving, alluring and seductive, all that is full of life, all this you can have; only give me just one single, poor, empty certainty!
http://studioeight.tv/phpbb/viewtopic.p ... he#p113830

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » May 7th, 2013, 4:39 pm

certainly certainty is always out of reach but to ascertain the moment is most certainly the most certain of any other certainty.

stilltrucking

Religious Faith and Certainty

Post by stilltrucking » May 10th, 2013, 4:07 am

certainly certainty is always out of reach but to ascertain the moment is most certainly the most certain of any other certainty.
ah maestro you got a way with words 8)

I wonder if it was your Jesuit education :wink:

Speaking of Jesuits there is an audio book called A Canticle for Liebowitz. Kind of a classic . Why have so many of my favorite authors suicides I wonder. Even Kerouac too, but he was too good a Catholic and bad a buddhist to do it, so he drank himself to death. Me? I am still smoking :(

PS
I am not as certain as the guy who quoted Nietzsche here

My favorite Nietzsche quote might be ...
"Rather like one who, delighting in a divine distraction, or sunken in the seas of his own soul, in whose ear the clock has just thundered with all its force its twelve strokes of noon, suddenly wakes up, and asks himself, "What has in point of fact just struck?" so do we at times rub after-wards, as it were, our puzzled ears, and ask in complete astonishment and complete embarrassment, "Through what have we in point of fact just lived?" further, "Who are we in point of fact?" and count, after they have struck, as I have explained, all the twelve throbbing beats of the clock of our experience, of our life, of our being—ah!—and count wrong in the endeavour. Of necessity we remain strangers to ourselves, we understand ourselves not, in ourselves we are bound to be mistaken, for of us holds good to all eternity the motto, "Each one is the farthest away from himself"—as far as ourselves are concerned we are not "knowers."
Religious Faith and Certainty

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » July 6th, 2013, 7:20 pm

Religion is not, will not and shall never be the keeper of the flame of Truth
for that which is Truth is not a doctrine nor a subject for discussion but rather
a path for those who are searching for the greatest of life's questions to follow as truthfully as their own nature will allow.

Return to “General Discussion”