On the Road movie

Go ahead. Talk about it.
stilltrucking

Re: On the Road movie

Post by stilltrucking » May 11th, 2013, 1:30 pm

I want to make a chick movie out of on the road, call it on the road with jack and sylvia, I write the songs to make the young girls cry :|
By Johnson’s lights, Kerouac discovered his “voice” on November 23, 1951, following an uproarious Thanksgiving Beat reunion

The Voice Is All: The Lonely Victory of Jack Kerouac, By Joyce Johnson
I guess I will have to watch the movie just to see what they did with it. U got a link or a quote from Levi about it?

mnaz

Post by mnaz » July 29th, 2013, 8:43 pm

i'm amazed that the book wasn't published until 1957. i finally finished the book this weekend, though there's still a middle portion i've yet to read ... the ending kind of leaves me a little flat (though i dig the "pooh bear" ramble), but that's kind of how "life" is. the road one day just ends, and you and Dean are just in one place, often separated by many miles. "the wander" and "life" are a compatible groove for only so long, but what a ride ... dug the mexico journey at the end ...

tarbaby
Location: Oz, or someplace like Kansas, but mostly stilltrucking's vanity

Post by tarbaby » October 1st, 2013, 11:41 am

Not a life changer for me like for mark, but a life changer in a derivative sense, I mean litkicks was a life changer for me and litkicks was the house that jack built.

i liked the ending it being so ironic that he died at the tender age of 47. :|
maybe I just liked the book because I never read Winnie the Pooh as a child :wink:
please pardon the ramble but

my jack rap langston hughes homage to the road, my road and jack's road

I backed up more miles than Neal ever drove. The road was not a crystal staircase to adventure for me, it was my home, my refuge my life for a million miles. back when I was on the run from Nietzsche and LSD under conviction for sin with nightmares of spiders and true love.

that is what litkicks was like for me when I was at my wits end ten years ago when I lost my life on the road. it was as if I was back on the road, but instead of staring through a windshield I was travelling through a computer screen, on the road with people i admired and now here at dr doom's online truck stop and tea parlor that is Doreen's studio eight for me.
.>>>>>>>>>>>>second thoughts after first and third thoughts
i am editing the hell out of this but it will never be up to snuff...prepositions going to be the death of me. Always get nervous about the stuff I post to you mr. mnaz. Now I got to go look up derivative and see if it means what I think it does.
“Where is that man who has forgotten words that I may have a word with him?”

one of those jerks

Post by one of those jerks » October 1st, 2013, 2:51 pm

Yes that's the difference between me and Dean, I was always backing up and he never backed down.

dang me they oughta take a rope and hang me
and my vanity
She is twice the man I am.

mnaz

Post by mnaz » October 2nd, 2013, 5:18 pm

dean was a mess. but he "knew time" . . . (and "god," apparently... george shearer was god) ....

that was one hell of a book .... inspired me to jam in a few last-minute descriptions of the old litkicks into my (brief) new mexico / el paso chapter. not sure why litkicks hadn't made it into the story yet--- that place actually inspired and drove some of my "zig-zags" back 8, 9 years ago during my travelin' days, my long, long road journey. going to meet various "kickers" .... those were some amazing days .... here's what i wrote:
But who is Ned? And why did he suddenly appear in your desert reverie? You and Ned must go way back, right? Well, no . . . And that's the odd thing about this wander you hit upon. You're meeting not only silent rock, but also a few poets who happen to live on its shape, as it looks at this moment of forever-sculpted stardust. Old poet souls. You met Ned due to his poems on a screen, of all things. True story. The rock is wired now.

You stumbled onto a crazy poet site, a place that took up Kerouac's torch after all the years-- where poetry twists and tangles around itself, and long strings of poems wring themselves inside out and punch each other in the head, bathe in torrents of radiance and swim muddy rivers of rage, wander all over canyons of mind and back deserts of creation. Sometimes the poets fall out and argue for days-- long, sprawling threads about the nature of "reality," but they always come back to paint the sky new colors of breath. It's one hell of a long, mind-bending bash onscreen.

The Screen. It's everywhere, and everyone peers into glowing boxes. And though you detest the idea of it, the Screen shows real potential at times (whatever "real" means). And it's the oddest thing. Poetry floods cyberspace. Everyone's a poet, with screen names like "Whitebird," or "AxDeath," typing anything imaginable in a text box, from lines of simple, mundane glory to wild freakout, A to Z, it all comes out in the wash. And lots of adolescent gushing too-- "my tears are raindrops on your dusty moon." A billion screams into a soulless metal machine. We won't be denied!

And that's how you met Ned . . . and others. A great zig-zag. Like when you zagged into the dark June mists of coastal Oregon to meet a long-time hippie jazz singer, her screen words too immediate and images too rich to ignore, and her voice golden as playful truth-- "the truth shall set you free." She sang into the mic for a live show put on by the local radio station, some comical cowboy hit-the-dusty-trail number, and little kids danced merrily in circles in the studio, little Buddhas in light. And for a few minutes there was no needless brutality in the world.

The great zig-zag . . . You met a professor named Mark, who lived near the dreemy orange salt breezes and slender palms of Santa Barbara's coast. He looked like Mark Twain, with bushy white hair and mustache, and was a published poet-- was
paid for poems. Hard to believe in this heavy metal age of anti-art. His tract house was lined with oil paintings, about half his own. He played guitar and a few other instruments, and penned scenes of back road Americana, colorful, tragic figures passing through, and he had a thing for the French Impressionists. He used to teach at the University of Nevada at Reno and was drawn to your screen scribblings on the Nevada desert, scattershot as they are. A crude attempt at rock art. He was humble and generous, and insisted that you keep going.
one could write much more than a few paragraphs on that site and that scene (especially if one was into the n.y. poetry scene), but ultimately that wasn't the nature of my wander through silence . . . . at least not the primary nature of it . . . .

WIREMAN

Post by WIREMAN » October 2nd, 2013, 9:52 pm

Naz-a-factly
U sum it up so cool
Litkicks the bomb, the jewel
Here in the midst of a solid jazz night
Litkicks the bomb
Interaction
Pure and simple
We was blessed
Tonight Levi launched the new Action Poetry
I b part of the o say cant u see
Give it s chance naz
Lets dance words
I do miss those runnin down the page
Whatever the program was it should b ressurected, saved.....
me I feel like I'm becoming some kinda Kung fu t.v. Priest.....

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » October 3rd, 2013, 2:58 pm

(and "god," apparently... george shearer was god) ....
Yes, he got that right.
I have no doubt about george shearer being god.The creators among us.
Seems to me musicians are gods even more than writers. They have such great power over my state of being.

mnaz the bomb. why can't I write like that?
Writing Is Easy; You Just Open a Vein and Bleed
the quote investigator
Neal knew time and motion.
'like a wheel rolling free out of his own center'

Return to “General Discussion”