Read my poetry in front of people...yikes

Go ahead. Talk about it.
sonofthesun

Read my poetry in front of people...yikes

Post by sonofthesun » January 23rd, 2014, 9:03 pm

Hello whoever reads this, was wondering if any of you could help me out. I have never spoken my poetry to a live audience before and a friend of mine has asked me to do it tomorrow...Not sure if any of you have a recollection of any of my poems, but I was hoping for something that you may remember that was worthy of being spoken. Kind of silly asking when I don't remember anything I have written, but I figured I should try. Thanks in advance for if nothing else than reading this, Marcus

oh and if you have any pointers that may help me from feeling a nervous fool when I stand up there, that would be greatly appreciated also. So far all I have is chugging some whiskey. smiles, thanks
There is no empty space

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Re: Read my poetry in front of people...yikes

Post by Doreen Peri » January 23rd, 2014, 9:40 pm

That's great! Several short pieces is probably better than one long one because an audience has a short attention span for poetry. Do you have anything humorous? Live audiences tend to enjoy a laugh. Sorry, I can't select your poetry off the top of my head but I will say I like it a lot and it should go over well at a reading!

Nothing to be nervous about but I understand. Actually, a little bit of nervousness is a good thing because it can help make your performance more dynamic. Here are a couple tips.... pretend you're sitting in a room with a couple of your friends, not reading in front of an audience at an event. That should make you more comfortable if you envision a couple of your closest friends listening.

Select the poetry you want to read in advance and practice reading it aloud a few times at home before you go. When you get there, you might want to indulge in an adult beverage to help take the edge off. Just ONE. No more than one is necessary and more than one might not be a good idea. *smile*

Relax... it's FUN! Think of it as something FUN to do... because it IS fun! You'll get applause and everything.

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » January 24th, 2014, 12:17 am

read your poetry out loud to yourself.
Which make sense to you?
If you believe in your words, the audience will pick up your energy

A wonderful experience
Enjoy!

post photos!

WIREMAN

Post by WIREMAN » January 24th, 2014, 6:58 pm

Just remember everyone out there is pulling for you to succeed
me I feel like I'm becoming some kinda Kung fu t.v. Priest.....

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » January 24th, 2014, 8:14 pm

Probably a dumb question but do you have a prop, I mean a stool or something? I don't know if I could do it with out something, I get so anxious in front of people. For some reason I am thinking about Spalding Gray and his desk or George Carlin with his stool. Not the same but I think I would like to do a stand up comedy act sometime.

please pardon the ramble.

I hope this is helpful...

You have so many good poems posted this month, short ones like Doreen was talking about, they are so good they will speak for themselves don't worry.

btw Are you a happy drunk? If not skip the booze unless you can kick ass like Bukowski.

break a leg :wink:

sonofthesun

Post by sonofthesun » January 31st, 2014, 3:01 am

Thanks to all of you for your responses. They were all helpful. I ended up not reading but it got me much closer to it. I actually went back and started going through some poems and editing them. Something I have never done before.
So all together a positive thing. Smiles. I will repost the new drafts and see how they go. Sincere thanks, Marcus

P.s. I am a happy drunk, laughs. Probably the only way for me to get up there to share, the first couple times atleast.
There is no empty space

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » January 31st, 2014, 7:48 am

now that the idea's in your mind, the opportunities will show up and you'll be there to say 'yes'

Return to “General Discussion”