What would Hemingway have been like on the Internet?

Go ahead. Talk about it.
WIREMAN

Re: What would Hemingway have been like on the Internet?

Post by WIREMAN » September 15th, 2014, 5:33 pm

how did this happen?
Attachments
image.jpg
screen shot of somebody elses reply box that showed on my ipad...ugh
me I feel like I'm becoming some kinda Kung fu t.v. Priest.....

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » September 15th, 2014, 5:39 pm

Beats me why people think I'm going somewhere. The conversation changed somewhat when I started talking about sexism in literature and then I said I might get a man to operate the site. I was just funning with Mark Naz.

Why did people think I was leaving? I don't know.

Sorry, to veer the conversation to discuss sexism in literature. I guess it was bothering me last night. Sometimes sexism raises its ugly head in my mind because it's so prevalent in my life. At least I didn't mention ageism. I could have ranted about that for hours. Haha!

But I veered the conversation BACK to Hemingway when I mentioned the Woody Allen movie in my last post. Have you seen it?

WIREMAN

Post by WIREMAN » September 15th, 2014, 5:49 pm

i saw it...i own it....chk out the picasso gang, its even better i think.....about the early 1900s theft of the mona lisa and picassos role in it....somewhat fictitious account but an awesome french flick.....and yes u sure did get going last night D....and just who are the pib people you pissed off? :lol:

WIREMAN

Post by WIREMAN » September 15th, 2014, 5:52 pm

going to nola, b back later.....did u see my post about somebody elses reply box showing up when i hit this thread?....thats never, ever happened before....

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » September 15th, 2014, 5:55 pm

I found it! Midnight in Paris. Great film directed by Woody Allen.

Young aspiring writer gets to meet Hemingway and FScot and Cole Porter and Salvador Dali and Gertrude Stein and Picasso other luminaries in person... he gets into a cab and it takes him back in time to a pub where he meets all these greats! You'll really love it.

In the movie, he didn't ask Hemingway how he would have handled the internet, though, unfortunately.

But you can watch it here for free! I'm going to watch it. Watch it with me if you want.

http://www.putlocker.tw/watch-midnight- ... ocker.html

________

Whoops! We were posting at the same time. I'll look for "The Picasso Gang" .. never heard of that one. Thanks!

Who did I piss of at PIB when I posted as Jon Stall? Well, Dino for one didn't like it. He and Bardmaster and several of the other regular members thought I was being deceitful when all I was doing was proving a point ... the point being that my work got read and praised MUCH more when I used a male name. I proved it was true. heh ... What can I say? It's true!

My plan for the novel I'm going to write is to publish it under a male name.

:)

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » September 15th, 2014, 5:57 pm

WIREMAN wrote:going to nola, b back later.....did u see my post about somebody elses reply box showing up when i hit this thread?....thats never, ever happened before....
Ohh.. that's what you were asking. My guess is you hit the quote button by accident. When you reply and hit the quote button, the quote of the other person appears in your reply window inside quote code.

Sorry, I went off last night. I was just having fun... I had a lot of energy and there's nobody here to talk to so I was talking up a storm online.

Enjoy Nola! Send my regards to whoever I know over there. ;)

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » September 15th, 2014, 7:28 pm

I guess nobody thinks you are leaving, Doreen..., don´t worry...! :lol: :wink:

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » September 15th, 2014, 7:36 pm

Wireman ... no idea...!: my odontologist used to be male but I changed him two years ago because he had bad timing with the anestesia ... :lol:

mnaz

Post by mnaz » September 16th, 2014, 3:37 am

You were on a roll, Doreen! And you got me thinking-- almost always a good thing.

Maybe I should post a few things under a female name and note the reaction-- or the subtle(?) changes in reaction. An interesting experiment actually.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » September 16th, 2014, 11:29 am

mnaz wrote:You were on a roll, Doreen! And you got me thinking-- almost always a good thing.

Maybe I should post a few things under a female name and note the reaction-- or the subtle(?) changes in reaction. An interesting experiment actually.
Good idea! It would be a great experiment.

Glad to hear I got you thinking. Sexism in literature is a real thing. I'm happy to know I got a man to think about it.

PS - I could start an entirely new topic for this and maybe I will later but for now, search google for "Sexism in literature" and read some of the myriad of articles about it. Sexism has always been huge in the literary arena and nothing as changed. It's just as prevalent as it's always been. Female writers aren't at all happy about it. Many still change their names to publish their works.

mnaz

Post by mnaz » September 17th, 2014, 3:53 am

It would be a good topic. There is no shortage of sexism and racism and religionism and whatever izzzm you could ever imagine in this exploding post-something world we inhabit, and I always thought it would clearer by now, and maybe it's getting there, but can it get here fast enough? I think so, but not entirely sure.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » September 24th, 2014, 11:57 pm

Mark, I saw this and thought of this thread. Thought it would be a good addition to the original topic. :)
being_a_good_writer.jpg

mnaz

Post by mnaz » September 25th, 2014, 2:43 am

Much truth in that.

It's kind of strange for me-- an interesting 10+ years. If I hadn't been on the internet in 2003 googling Kerouac and ending up on Levi's site, I might never have started writing in the first place!

But yes, past a certain point it can be a HUGE distraction at times . . . I've experienced it firsthand, no doubt.

WIREMAN

Post by WIREMAN » September 25th, 2014, 7:24 pm

oh ernest would be way different in these times, his boxing, bullfights, safaris.....but he was from a way different time, thankfully the times have changed and so would he have changed if he lived in our times....so yes i feel he'd a loved a puter as buk did at the end when he said it allowed his writing to fly....

Artguy

Post by Artguy » September 28th, 2014, 5:07 pm

Hemingway was the guy when I was a young lad...A Moveable Feast moved me in many ways...The Sun Also Rises...and all the others I read...I can't see Papa sitting still for very long unless there was a fishing rod or a good stiff drink in his hand...I don't think he would have much patience for the time spent at a computer surfing for what he could experience out in the world...besides Underwood doesn't make computers.

Return to “General Discussion”