Insidious new facebook virus thing. Beware

Go ahead. Talk about it.
judih
Site Admin

Insidious new facebook virus thing. Beware

Post by judih » May 10th, 2016, 2:00 pm

I fell into the trap. A well-respected proponent of the latest apps 'tagged' me in a clip he posted on Facebook.
I didn't click. Then a second well-respected colleague posted and tagged and I clicked. Woe.
Don't do it. Don't click.

It asks to add an attachment to your computer in order to view the clip. Don't add.
Don't go near the thing.
Save yourselves.

As of now, facebook won't let me in to my account. (not necessarily a bad thing).
But, heed the warning

judih

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Re: Insidious new facebook virus thing. Beware

Post by Doreen Peri » May 12th, 2016, 3:36 pm

These hackers are getting more and more sophisticated! It's crazy! You'd think a huge site like FB would have better security features to stop this type of thing! Bummer that this happened.

Are you still locked out?

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » May 12th, 2016, 10:59 pm

i avoided the site. Then asked the first well-respected colleague how he tackled it. He recommended using the methods that facebook itself has set up - a download of a malware cleaner. So, i did. It didn't find any malware in my machine, and then let me back in. It took 20 hours or so of downtime.

Let's see if there's a postscript sometime.

sasha

Post by sasha » May 15th, 2016, 2:11 pm

Whoa. I moderate a local bulletin board on Yahoo Groups that went AWOL a while back. I found an 800 number purporting to be Yahoo support - boy, was I wrong. Against my better judgement I let this insect take remote control of my computer, whence he uninstalled & deleted Norton, & replaced it with an outdated unsupported product, never addressing the original problem, all to the tune of $400. I contested the charges, which Chase Bank ultimately forgave, but just because a site uses the same fonts and phone number as a reputable one (different exchange), assume NOTHING. These assholes don't play nice.
"Falsehood flies, the Truth comes limping after it." - Jonathan Swift, ca. 1710

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » May 15th, 2016, 10:29 pm

dominoes- we go down

but unlike dominoes, we get back up!

yay, us. May we learn this lesson so that we can go on to learn another fine lesson

Return to “General Discussion”