Judih — please check in!!!

Go ahead. Talk about it.
Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Re: Judih — please check in!!!

Post by Doreen Peri » October 11th, 2023, 6:18 pm

Thx for posting the link, Kurt! This is much more information than we’ve had. 😢 Sasha, here is a copy of the article.

'
True Soulmates' Shot by Hamas on a Field Near Gaza – and Their Family Scrambles for Answers

Judith Weinstein Haggai phoned in that she and her husband had both been shot near their Kibbutz on Saturday morning. What happened next is unclear – and their children have been begging the authorities for help
Share in Twitter

Save article to reading list
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Open gallery view
Judith Weinstein Haggai and Gad Haggai, who remained "idealistic '60s kids," their daughter says.Credit: Courtesy Iris Haggai Liniado
Allison Kaplan Sommer
Oct 11, 2023 11:19 pm IDT
Get email notification for articles from Allison Kaplan Sommer
Follow

Like thousands of other relatives of Israelis missing from Gaza border communities brutally attacked by Hamas, Iris Haggai Liniado feels alone.

While the army's bureaucracy has proved reasonably organized when a soldier is killed, wounded or missing, the government has been utterly unprepared to cope with so many civilians dead and missing.

Neither Haggai Liniado, 38, nor her three younger siblings have been contacted by a military or government authority about the fate of their parents. Judith Weinstein Haggai and Gad Haggai, both in their early 70s, disappeared in the fields surrounding Kibbutz Nir Oz early Saturday.

- Advertisment -

And so Haggai Liniado and her siblings, like so many others across Israel, have been forced to search for clues and make countless phone calls to anyone who might be able to help. As they scramble for information, they're posting photos wherever they can on social media.

Israel At War: Get a daily summary direct to your inbox
In Haggai Liniado’s case, all this is taking place from half a world away, in Singapore, where she lives with her husband, who works there. She takes care of their three young daughters and was working on launching a new business. But this plan is now on hold.

“We feel abandoned,” she says. “And it isn’t just me and my family who don’t know what happened. I have friends who know for a fact that their family is kidnapped but nobody has confirmed it officially.

“Nobody’s talking to them. I feel like I’m in a bad dream – a nightmare and I’m waiting for somebody to wake me up. I honestly can't believe how unimportant I feel to this government. It’s crazy – crazy that it’s been four days since this happened and nobody has spoken to us.”

Open gallery view
The couple and their four children, including Iris Haggai Liniado, third from right.Credit: Courtesy the family
Like members of the other families, Haggai Liniado wants her parents known to the world as more than a news headline. She describes them as idealistic '60s kids who lived and loved each other as “true soulmates” for 40 years.

Her mother, Judy, is a citizen of Israel, Canada and the United States. Judy was born in New York and her family moved to Canada when she was 3. She grew up in Toronto and came to Israel in a twist of fate at 19 after planning a trip to Greece; her travel partner suggested they go to Israel instead and volunteer on a kibbutz.

‘It was me and 3 or 4 of my men against dozens of Hamas fighters at every encounter’
Bodies piled up in the Israeli border town of Sderot, with rocket fire as a soundtrack
The Israeli town of Ofakim has been cleared of terrorists but the blood and shock remain
Judy found herself on Kibbutz Ein Hashofet in the north, where she met Gad, a young kibbutz member launching a music career. Actually, romance didn't bloom between them there; Judy married a different Israeli but kept tabs on Gad’s music career and attended his concerts.

- Advertisment -

Their paths diverged when he moved to the United States and later married as well, while Judy returned to Canada with her Israeli husband. Time passed, both couples divorced, and, separately, Judy and Gad returned to Israel and the kibbutz to restart their lives – and found each other.

It gives me comfort that they might have been together when they died because they loved each other so much.
Iris Haggai Liniado
They left Ein Hashofet and moved to central Israel, where Gad continued to play music professionally and Judy taught English and pursued her passion for puppeteering, leading puppet-making workshops for children. According to Haggai Liniado, her father eventually “realized that being a musician wouldn’t pay the bills” for a growing family, so he went to culinary school, studied to be a chef and went to work at Tel Aviv’s Dan Hotel.

- Advertisment -

When she was 10, her parents decided they wanted a less stressful life. They craved the kind of environment where they met, so in the '90s they went south and ended up at Kibbutz Nir Oz on the Gaza border.

Open gallery view
A destroyed house at Kibbutz Nir Oz after Hamas' onslaught on Saturday.Credit: Adi Negev
Throughout her childhood, “my father woke up every morning at 4 to cook; he was passionate about doing the job well. It had to be perfect; he still played music in his free time and read a lot,” Haggai Liniado says.

Breaking news and analyses delivered to your inbox
Click Here
“Both he and my mom never stopped studying and learning – they were into mindfulness and all kinds of things. After he retired, and after his brother died, my father decided his new motto was 'Be the healthiest I can be.'”

He began following a whole-food vegan diet and would wake early to run, ride his bicycle or walk with his wife in the fields outside the kibbutz after their morning coffee. That's where they were when terror struck Nir Oz; Haggai Liniado believes they may have been Hamas’ first victims at the kibbutz.

When in Singapore she learned that sirens were blaring in Israel at 6:50 A.M. – nothing unusual in the Gaza region – she posted in the family text group, asking her parents to check in.

Her mother texted back that she and her husband had been on their morning walk, the siren sounded, and they were now lying on the ground to protect themselves. They saw hundreds of rockets flying overhead.

Their daughter asked how far they were from the kibbutz – they estimated it was about 2 kilometers (1.2 miles), so she told her mother to let them know when they made it home. “After that, all contact with them was lost. I couldn’t get them to answer my calls – nothing. We were left with nothing.”

Open gallery view
Iris Haggai Liniado, right, and her sister, Zohar, with their father.Credit: Courtesy Iris Haggai Liniado
Contacting her childhood friends on the kibbutz, Haggai Liniado learned by 7:30 A.M. Israel time that the kibbutz had been “flooded with terrorists,” as one friend put it. It wasn't clear if the couple had made it back to the community.

“We started to believe that my parents met them along the way, that they were the first people the terrorists encountered. Everyone was in pure hell, nobody knew anything.”

Haggai Liniado spent Saturday in tears on the phone with her relatives in Israel. Eventually she learned that seven hours had passed before any troops arrived. Amid the chaos, it was impossible to find out what had happened to her parents.

"It feels very crazy to me that the Israelis who are hurt and broken right now are doing all the work," Haggai Liniado says.
By Monday, two days later, her surviving kibbutz friends had been evacuated to the resort town of Eilat far to the southeast. About the people of Nir Oz, she heard that “their houses were set on fire, their children were kidnapped.” All sorts of horrible stories were coming in on TikTok.

She heard that searches for bodies had taken place inside the kibbutz, but it seemed highly likely that her parents would have encountered the Hamas terrorists while still on their walk. “No one has looked in the fields outside yet to see if there are bodies there,” Haggai Liniado says.

There were rumors that her father’s body had been found in the house. At one point, a neighbor said he had security-camera footage of what he thought was a Hamas man taking her mother from the couple's house on a motorbike.

After “begging and speaking to a million people,” she received the stills from the security footage. The woman being kidnapped wasn't her mother, so she passed on the photos to a neighbor of a man from Mexico who had made contact. It turned out that the abducted woman was his sister.

Open gallery view
CCTV footage showing a Hamas gunman entering Kibbutz Be'eri on Saturday as mortally wounded Israelis sit in their car behind.Credit: South First Responders via Telegram/Reuters
Ultimately, “it was brought to my attention that the kibbutz paramedic was taking the bodies out of the houses – I needed to know if there was a body in my house,” Haggai Liniado says.

After she located the wife of the kibbutz paramedic and “begged,” the couple revealed the kind of information they had been instructed not to tell. Around 7 A.M. Saturday – shortly after the Haggai Liniado family's flurry of texts – Judy called the paramedic station and reported that she and Gad were still in the fields. They had both been shot and her husband “wasn’t doing well.”

The paramedic was heading to his ambulance to go to them when he learned that the ambulance had been hit by a rocket – and the gunmen were attacking the kibbutz.

“I highly doubt my father survived,” Haggai Liniado says. “I don’t think they would kidnap him if he was severely wounded. It sounds like my mother was also wounded but not as badly – so either they shot her again, she killed herself somehow because she wouldn’t want to go on without my father, or she was kidnapped.”

Haggai Liniado says she isn’t sure which fate she should be wishing for her mother. “At first I thought the best scenario was that she was kidnapped. But now, it gives me comfort that they might have been together when they died because they loved each other so much,” she says.

“They lived their best life, they lived every day like it was their last and did everything they could to make the world peaceful and better. They were so true to who they were and didn’t care what other people thought. What keeps me going is knowing they were happy while they were alive.”

That strength is needed, Haggai Liniado says, as she and her family continue to hunt for answers on their own. “It feels very crazy to me that the Israelis who are hurt and broken right now are doing all the work. I don't mind doing it – they're my parents, after all – but I'd like some support from the government.

“We all gave to this country. We all served in the army, we all pay a crazy amount of taxes, and we live in our country where our paychecks don’t support the cost of living. The only thing we believed that our government was good for was keeping us safe and helping us when we were in distress. But even that wasn't true.”

sasha

Post by sasha » October 11th, 2023, 6:31 pm

Thanks Doreen - I suppose knowing the worst is better than fearing it.
"Falsehood flies, the Truth comes limping after it." - Jonathan Swift, ca. 1710

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » October 11th, 2023, 7:05 pm

Well there’s no certain closure, yet, but this is very sad… and it doesn’t look good.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » October 11th, 2023, 9:07 pm

I am sooo sad.

the mingo

Post by the mingo » October 11th, 2023, 9:10 pm

I found this article under Epoch Times by using judih's full name & location. A snippet from another article said judih had texted a neighbor saying her & her husband had been shot.

Ms. Raemer is particularly distraught over a friend who was out for her daily early morning walk through the fields. Judy Weinstein Haggai, 70, and her husband were outdoors at 6:30 a.m. when the rockets started flying overhead.
"She took a picture of a rocket in the sky," Ms. Raemer said. "That was the last contact we had with her."

Later, she learned that Ms. Haggai and her husband were among the missing.

"She was an English teacher, like me," Ms. Raemer said. "She works with special education students especially. She taught English through puppetry. She taught mindfulness. This is the sweetest, kindest, funniest soul you ever want to meet. She was certainly the first one who would want to sit down with people and make peace and make people happy.

"These animals took her."
Doll, you may have found a place of rest but I'm still on the trail.

saw

Post by saw » October 12th, 2023, 8:29 am

this is just so tragic, I can't really express my sorrow in words.....it's nearly inconceivable that two peaceful, loving, creators could get shot on their morning walk.....it's heartbreaking....and shocking beyond imagination.....I'm devastated, but my heart goes out to her family.....
If you do not change your direction
you may end up where you are heading

Artguy

Post by Artguy » October 12th, 2023, 9:14 am

A lot of tears have been shed. A lot of haiku have been read, and a few laughs too. How can humans be so cruel. We're the only species on earth that get pleasure from killing. :oops: :oops: :oops:

sasha

Post by sasha » October 12th, 2023, 9:28 am

Doreen Peri wrote:
October 11th, 2023, 9:07 pm
I am sooo sad.
Me too. Also disbelieving - angry - disgusted - despairing - bewildered - shamed, knowing I don't have the courage to live like she has. I see her byline everywhere, here & at AC, a constant reminder that her life-force has powered these sites. I feel like we're her family once removed.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » October 12th, 2023, 1:59 pm

the mingo wrote:
October 11th, 2023, 9:10 pm
I found this article under Epoch Times by using judih's full name & location. A snippet from another article said judih had texted a neighbor saying her & her husband had been shot.

Ms. Raemer is particularly distraught over a friend who was out for her daily early morning walk through the fields. Judy Weinstein Haggai, 70, and her husband were outdoors at 6:30 a.m. when the rockets started flying overhead.
"She took a picture of a rocket in the sky," Ms. Raemer said. "That was the last contact we had with her."

Later, she learned that Ms. Haggai and her husband were among the missing.

"She was an English teacher, like me," Ms. Raemer said. "She works with special education students especially. She taught English through puppetry. She taught mindfulness. This is the sweetest, kindest, funniest soul you ever want to meet. She was certainly the first one who would want to sit down with people and make peace and make people happy.

"These animals took her."
I know Adele Raemer on Facebook. Judih introduced me to her. She’s been having her share of extremely difficult struggles during this ordeal with the terrorists and has been interviewed by several news sources. She was the one judih contacted to tell her they had been shot. That’s my understanding that both of them were shot, though her husband’s wound was much more serious.

I’m thinking it’s conjecture that she says “These animals took her” because previously she said a photo of a rocket was her last contact with her. But, yes, I guess it’s possible she’s been abducted and could still be alive.

It’s a horrible thing to think about, either way.

Thanks for posting this, mingo!

Thanks to ALL of you for your thoughts and being here together. It’s somehow comforting to have us all together — we all love her so much!

We’ve been online since 2004. 19 years. Judih has helped me as an administrator almost the entire time, plus has helped organize Word Jams and kept the creativity on the site going. I’m truly shocked by the turn of events, despite knowing that she lived in a dangerous part of the world— this all is a nightmare. I never even fathomed something so horrific happening there.

My heart goes out to her 4 children and her entire family and friends.

Artguy

Post by Artguy » October 12th, 2023, 3:28 pm

Her and a couple of others here gave me the strength to take writing to the next level.

saw

Post by saw » October 12th, 2023, 3:41 pm

If you do not change your direction
you may end up where you are heading

sasha

Post by sasha » October 12th, 2023, 4:44 pm

It was suggested that I share the parallel conversation at AC with our tribe here, so as a member of both tribes, here's what's going on at Arcanum Cafe:
https://arcanumcafe.boards.net/thread/9 ... ollTo=5548

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » October 12th, 2023, 5:12 pm

Steve — thanks very much for the link to the interview with Adele Raemer! Much appreciated!!

Sasha — looking forward to a link to the NYT article referenced on AC. Wish I could open up memberships here so people from there could post here but I can’t— oh, I am able to but we will get slammed by spam bots again.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » October 12th, 2023, 5:50 pm

Here’s the link to a NYT article which a member of Arcanum Cafe posted which might be pertinent.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... eline.html

I don’t have a NYT membership anymore. I’ll have to re-subscribe.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » October 12th, 2023, 6:04 pm

Here’s a paragraph from the NYT article that was thought to be possibly about Judih
7:04 a.m.
As Hamas gunmen swept through multiple towns, Arie Itzik, a retired nurse who was sheltering in Nir Oz, received a call for help from a woman who had gone out for a walk. Militants had shot her and her husband, she told him. She was wounded and thought her husband was dead. She would later be kidnapped, Mr. Itzik said.

Mr. Itzik would shelter for at least eight more hours before soldiers arrived to rescue him.

“The army wasn’t in the area, not even one soldier.” He added: “We were all by ourselves. It was terrifying.”
I don’t think it’s about her bc she called Adele Raemer who is a teacher not a retired nurse. But then again maybe she called two people??? I’m going to look up the name, Arie Itzik

Return to “General Discussion”