Tom Friedman's Latest Declaration of War

What in the world is going on?
gypsyjoker

Tom Friedman's Latest Declaration of War

Post by gypsyjoker » June 5th, 2008, 5:26 pm

Yesterday was a very exciting day in America. Our nation's most serious foreign policy expert, the "brilliant" Thomas Friedman of The New York Times, declared our latest new war:

The next American president will inherit many foreign policy challenges, but surely one of the biggest will be the cold war. Yes, the next president is going to be a cold-war president -- but this cold war is with Iran.
So congratulations to us.

After years of desperately searching, we've finally found our new Soviet Union
Iran is a country whose defense spending is less than 1% of our own; spends less on its military than countries such as the Netherlands and Sweden; has never invaded another country in modern history, and could not possibly threaten us, but those are just small details. Iran is our new implacable foe in
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/glenn-gre ... 01956.html
Free Rice
Avatar Courtesy of the Baron de Hirsch Fund

'Blessed is he who was not born, Or he, who having been born, has died. But as for us who live, woe unto us, Because we see the afflictions of Zion, And what has befallen Jerusalem." Pseudepigrapha

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » June 5th, 2008, 11:42 pm

Yuur 2nd quote:
Iran is a country whose defense spending is less than 1% of our own; spends less on its military than countries such as the Netherlands and Sweden; has never invaded another country in modern history, and could not possibly threaten us, but those are just small details. Iran is our new implacable foe...
The country that spends the most on defense can easily use their arms for offense.

gypsyjoker

Post by gypsyjoker » June 6th, 2008, 1:05 am

Most of the KIA's I read about in Iraq are caused by those roadside so called improvised explosive devices. which I understand are not so improvised anymore
now they are imported from Iran and very sophisticated.

I guess what I am saying is how do they come up with those figures for the Iranian military budget? Do you trust any intelligence we have? I don't know. How much of their money goes to things like IED's in Iraq or rockets to Palestine?

Did you read this bit
Then again, perhaps even more illustrative is this video clip of Friedman from the Charlie Rose Show in 2003 -- one of the most revealing (and most repellent) three minutes of commentary one can find. Friedman spent months before the invasion of Iraq continuously supporting and cheering it on based on righteous appeals to the transformational values of freedom and democracy. But once the invasion was complete, he unmasked himself, telling Rose that it the Iraq invasion was "unquestionably worth doing" because what we needed was to invade some Muslim country -- Iraq was just one of many that would have sufficed -- in order, using his words, to "take out a very big stick" and say: "Suck. On. This."

Here is the video. Nice turtle neck he is wearing, I never could stand wearing a turtle neck.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HOF6ZeUvgXs&hl ... ram><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HOF6ZeUvgXs&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Free Rice

'Blessed is he who was not born, Or he, who having been born, has died. But as for us who live, woe unto us, Because we see the afflictions of Zion, And what has befallen Jerusalem." Pseudepigrapha

e_dog

Post by e_dog » June 7th, 2008, 1:05 am

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lgq5suMXCV8&hl ... ram><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lgq5suMXCV8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
I don't think 'Therefore, I am.' Therefore, I am.

mnaz

Post by mnaz » June 7th, 2008, 1:06 pm

*** blink ***

Oh Lord, where to start with this?
Shit.... never mind.

War is good for the economy.

hester_prynne

Post by hester_prynne » June 7th, 2008, 3:21 pm

Wow. The biggest bubble of all speaks, the bubble of bullshit itself.
When will we pop that one?

H 8)
"I am a victim of society, and, an entertainer"........DW

mnaz

Post by mnaz » June 7th, 2008, 5:24 pm

It's all just too far gone now... Just let it go.

I signed up for an Optimism class today.
Man, that entry fee keeps getting steeper and steeper.
I had to get a loan.

gypsyjoker

Post by gypsyjoker » June 9th, 2008, 8:48 am

I thought his hand gestures were interesting the way he rubbed his hands together before he answered and then he put the tips of his fingers together. He had to umm and umm and hem and haw before he could get the lying words out of his mouth. Maybe I am just envious because I can't wear turtlenecks. Not since I almost hung myself when I was eight years old. I can't stand anything around my throat. So you know I am crazzy, certified by selective service so don't mind me mnaz.

I used to like tom friedman

I used to think he was smart

Hell I used to think I was smart.

Image Source

I am plenty optimistic that these are the good old days. Reminds me of the Weimar Republic for some reason. Germany went through a "rough patch" but now they are OK. Someday the US will be okay again too.

Comments from youtube about the video

I like this comment about Germany.

An interesting comment. I agree the US is acting immorally on several fronts, but the same is true of Israel, Russia, China and certainly Iran too, so it's possibly only Germany who comes anywhere near moral action and Germany remains very concerned about Iran's nuclear intentions.
If as many people suspect, the U.S is acting immorally on an international level at the current time; Then I think Russia Germany and the East should help protect Iran if they need it.
This movie is NOT about US policy on Israel, but the risk of nuclear apocalypse from utopian fantasies on all sides. The Iranians claim that Israel blew up the twin towers on 9-11, something al_Qaeda's Ayman al-Zawahiri has taken strong exception to, as an intentional lie. You need to look carefully at my YouTube movie Jihad Song. People watching in many parts of the world saw 9-11 as chickens coming home to roost for US world hubris and delusion. It's not just Barack Obama's preacher here!
dhusharaYT (2 months ago) Show Hide
I have had to moderate all comments and disable the ratings because of ignorant, partisan and violent actions and threats made against both Israel and Iran and not least against the message bearer. The song is not to take sides but to understand the schism dividing our futures and the utopian aims causing it. The song is a blessing to those who heed its message of peace and tolerance, but an unending curse to any who would incite or respond with violence, no matter how high their position.
more about the singer and his website here
http://www.dhushara.com/nino.htm
Free Rice

mnaz

Post by mnaz » June 9th, 2008, 11:33 am

Just another large-brained 'in-a-perfect-(flat)-world' asshole. Are these people even human?

Fuck it. I'm going to say something un-intelligent.

Friedman can kiss my ass!

There. I did it!!

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » June 9th, 2008, 11:35 am

You made me very happy this morning
thank you 8)

e_dog

Post by e_dog » June 9th, 2008, 2:04 pm

all New York tinmes are warhawks.

Invad I-ran. e

gypsyjoker

Post by gypsyjoker » June 9th, 2008, 7:31 pm

Freidman's a creep. I can't believe I used to read him.

Throw a dart at the map pick an Arab country at random and invade it to teach the ragheads a lesson.

"I think it should be a capital offense to hold one's hands together with the fingertips touching like that." (paraphrase of Douglas Adams)
Free Rice

e_dog

Post by e_dog » June 11th, 2008, 12:05 am

Iraqis deserve the freedom we give them

deliver us from EVO.

bohonato

Post by bohonato » June 12th, 2008, 1:24 pm

Last semester I took an anthropology course on the Middle East and Central Asia. At the end our professor said, 'Congratulations. You now know more about this than anyone in Washington, D.C.'.

When I heard Scott Ritter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Ritter) speak in 2006, he talked about going to Iran, and how there was a fair number of people who were looking to the U.S. to intervene and remove the government. Once they saw how we operated in Afghanistan and Iraq, they prefer to keep the government and have nothing to do with us.

Whatever happened to being isolationists? Even our humanitarian aid is forced upon others at gunpoint.

Mushroom clouds scare me, and it wasn't Iran who opened that Pandora's box.
take all your overgrown infants away somewhere
and build them a home a little place of their own
the fletcher memorial
home for incurable tyrants and kings
and they can appear to themselves every day
on closed circuit t.v.
to make sure they're still real
it's the only connection they feel
. . .
did they expect us to treat them with any respect
they can polish their medals and sharpen their
smiles, and amuse themselves playing games for a while
boom boom, bang bang, lie down you're dead
- Pink Floyd
1 in 20 Americans are sociopaths, and they're all running this country.

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » June 12th, 2008, 5:05 pm

The nuclear arms race started during WWII and kept on going through the Cold War and even into the post Cold War. It's time to yank out the dragon's teeth permanently!!!!

Return to “Culture, Politics, Philosophy”