Milgram's Experiments on Obedience

What in the world is going on?
perezoso

Post by perezoso » January 25th, 2005, 2:59 pm

While I object to Bush's iraqi policy pretty much in toto, I think Milgram's study and the Stanford experiments may be just as relevant in regard to say Stalinist and communist tyranny as well. Leftist sentimentality--which sees the US as the Great Satan and equivalent to fascism--is a bit hyperbolic. The US may be an imperialist power to some degree, but nowhere near the level of malevolence of the nazis or Stalinist russia or pol pot. The "vilifying" and villainizing that the bourgeois left does is sort of nauseating.

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » January 25th, 2005, 4:23 pm

true - the fact that we can sit around our computers and complain is the glory of democracy.

But the experiments prove that we all have it in us. The controlling regime is irrelevant - we contain components that can sprout horns or wings - we, human beings have it all within.

murderers, sadists, altruists, saints - we are a conglomerate of every facet possible.

simple biology.

What we do with these components is another story.

surfermike

Post by surfermike » January 25th, 2005, 7:30 pm

o.k. then, does a dreamer/surfer
fit into the saint catagory? Perhaps
not, but we try....

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » January 25th, 2005, 10:38 pm

Stalinist and communist tyranny as well
true - the fact that we can sit around our computers and complain is the glory of democracy
murderers, sadists, altruists, saints - we are a conglomerate of every facet possible.

simple biology
o.k. then, does a dreamer/surfer
fit into the saint catagory? Perhaps
not, but we try....
that one percent patch that those claifornia bikers wear on their jackets. If I get a motorcycle I am going to put a big bell curve on the back of my jacket

we all want to be in that number when those saints go marching in,
but I think I would rather surf than march.

Return to “Culture, Politics, Philosophy”