new corporatism in politics and "grass roots"

What in the world is going on?
mnaz

new corporatism in politics and "grass roots"

Post by mnaz » May 23rd, 2011, 5:27 pm

(from 5/3/10):

http://www.newpol.org/node/298
. . . the major political parties, both Republicans and Democrats, are creating new foundations and non-governmental organizations to expand the base of the parties and attract new voters. Those party think-tanks and NGOs in turn create what could be called pseudo-social movements, often describing themselves as "grassroots," though, in fact, they are created and controlled from above by inside-the-beltway D.C. organizations. . . . we're witnessing the development of a new corporatism in American politics.
The ultimate goal of the Republican and Democratic Party neo-corporatism is to prevent the development of independent political parties which might disrupt the regular rotation to power of the two capitalist parties.
some (partial) background poli-sci:
More recently, the Republican Party's economic conservatives, still representing the interests of finance, industry, and oil, also both helped to create the evangelical religious right which acted to draw lower middle class and working class white voters into the party's fold. Perhaps the starting point of the neo-corporatist organization of politics was with Jerry Falwell's Moral Majority, established in 1979. . . .

Similarly, with the rise of the civil rights movement of the 1960s, the Democratic Party succeeded in drawing in and subordinating the NAACP . . . The organized women's movement too succumbed. The workers movement of the 1930s, the civil rights organizations in the 1960s, and the women's groups in the 1970s had all been tumultuous movements, but once gathered into the Democratic fold they ossified. . . . .When these groups pressed hard enough, the Democrats would take up their cause, and often even a token effort proved to be enough to continue winning the votes of workers, African Americans, Latinos and women. . . .
for years i thought of corporatism in politics as strictly right-wing stuff. but as the following examples show, the left side of the aisle has had some success with corporate-driven, or top-down "grass roots."
MoveOn.org provided the prototype of the a group created and commanded by Democratic party loyalists who wished to use the organization to both create and contain a social movement, a movement which might otherwise have found its way into other more independent channels . . .

After the election of Barack Obama, the same core group that had created CCIR founded a new group, Reform Immigration for America (RIFA) . . . Genuine grassroots immigrant groups and their allies will have little if any voice in the political process of passing some sort of immigration reform, which will remain in the hand of the Democratic Party. The Democrats will subordinate RIFA to their aims
By January 2009 the Tea Party had been born -- and while the proliferation of Tea Party websites, organizations, political programs, and ideological orientations gave the impression of a genuine grassroots movement, in fact the Republican Party and its most conservative think-tanks backed by the corporations had quickly taken command of the group.
. . . at this point most independent anti-war activists are working to build a new independent anti-war coalition of some sort. Certainly the continuing war in Iraq, the expansion of the war in Afghanistan, and the shameful drone attacks on Pakistan which have killed civilians demand that we build a new anti-war movement, and MoveOn.org, with its commitment to the President and the Democrats cannot and will not provide leadership. Ultimately, for those of us who work in the grassroots, the point is this: We need no condescending gardeners.

stilltrucking

Re: new corporatism in politics and "grass roots"

Post by stilltrucking » June 10th, 2011, 8:37 am

I got a copy on all that.

I got disillusioned with the Vietnam war anti-war movement, I was such an idiot about money.

Maybe the movement had changed by the time I got involved in the early seventies.

I was in the New Mobe which was like a second generation protest movement. I suppose the old mobe would be the 1964-65 mobilization.

I think the moveon group sounds a lot like "the new mobe" Nothing wrong with that. Yes I voted moveon dot org. Even after I noticed my fearless candidate had feet of clay.

I will probably vote for Obama again. or I maynot vote next time.
I love american politics, it keeps me amused
Attachments
bokobama.jpg
Last edited by stilltrucking on June 10th, 2011, 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » June 10th, 2011, 8:47 am

The challenge of modernity is to live without illusions and without becoming disillusioned.”

Antonio Gramsci

one of those jerks

Post by one of those jerks » June 10th, 2011, 10:14 am

I don't even care about Bin Laden anymore. It is all the talk about being on the right side of history. I hope he gets a second term even so. I am thinking more like an Aztec here among the things of new spain. Got to keep spilling blood to grease the wheels of civilization.

I wonder how the money thing is working out, a billion dollars for the campaign, I hope it will be enough to counter the Kochsuckers.
She is twice the man I am.

mnaz

Post by mnaz » June 10th, 2011, 1:53 pm

on another discussion board someone posted about a conversation he had with a friend who lives in china, who said something like, "you vote and change leaders every four years and nothing changes, so we don't bother" . . .

that said, i'll most likely stick with "cool hand barack" g-d help me. he's gotta be better than whatever nut case psycho the repubs foist on us, right?

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » June 10th, 2011, 5:08 pm

I can't think of a Republican I could vote for. But I may change my voter registration from democrat to repuplican just so I can vote for Gingrich or Palin in the republican primary. Just to make sure the best man wins.

Second term conventional wisdom is or was that a President can do more in the second term because he is free from political distractions.
Perhaps in a second term he can lay back from the bizness of politics, the constant campaigning, fund raising, triangulations, leave that all behind and maybe get something done.

All this configuring about what to do, what we must do to wind up on the right side of history is depressing to me. What does that even mean? We won World War One and still wound up on the wrong side of history.

In the meantime we are turning into the poorest powerful country on earth. It does not comfort me like it used to that we have such a powerful military.

I don't know if I will ever vote again. I may just take my Nobel Peace Prize and move to China.

Return to “Culture, Politics, Philosophy”