Where Have All the Girls Gone?

What in the world is going on?
stilltrucking

Where Have All the Girls Gone?

Post by stilltrucking » July 1st, 2011, 7:37 am

It's true: Western money and advice really did help fuel the explosion of sex selection in Asia

How did more than 160 million women go missing from Asia? The simple answer is sex selection -- typically, an ultrasound scan followed by an abortion if the fetus turns out to be female -- but beyond that, the reasons for a gap half the size of the U.S. population are not widely understood. And when I started researching a book on the topic, I didn't understand them myself.

Four decades ago, Western advocacy of sex selection yielded tragic results. But if we continue to ignore that legacy and remain paralyzed by heated U.S. abortion politics, we're compounding that mistake. Indian public health activist George, indeed, says waiting to act is no longer an option: If the world does "not see ten years ahead to where we're headed, we're lost."

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2 ... e?page=0,0

sooZen

Re: Where Have All the Girls Gone?

Post by sooZen » July 3rd, 2011, 7:53 am

Well, I think there are too many peoples in this world and not enough of everything else. I think we are lost if we don't get a handle on our procreation. (globally, I mean.) This is not a popular or widely held belief because of our human centric attitudes but it is mine. And I do see us being "lost" if we don't stop ourselves from overrunning the earth and using up all its resources and killing everything that gets in our path. So selection of men children in asia doesn't bother me so much, in fact, not at all. And maybe the scarcity of women will make them more valuable eventually in what is now a male dominated culture.

And I shouldn't even get started on abortion and a woman's right to choose. So I will be quiet now... :)
Freedom's just another word...

http://soozen.livejournal.com/

stilltrucking

Re: Where Have All the Girls Gone?

Post by stilltrucking » July 3rd, 2011, 8:27 pm

Women should not worry their pretty little heads about over population, we men will take care of it. :) :wink:

It beats me, I just thought it was an interesting article, unintended consequences and the road to hell.

On the plus side we have Atrazine© and phthalates in our municipal water systems. So we will have more girly men.

I likes science fiction a lot

In the meantime the universe is evolving on time on schedule/

Have we not become as gods, human evolution has not stopped. We tinker with our genome in such a haphazard manner. All those meds I am taking, how much of it passes through my body into the water supply
Phthalate warning: Medications contain chemicals that "feminize ...
http://www.naturalnews.com/027514_phtha ... ation.html - Cached
Nov 17, 2009 – If expectant mothers are taking more antidepressants coated with phthalates that cause the feminization of boys, we are going to be looking ...
Pesticide atrazine can turn male frogs into females
www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/03/100301151927.htm - Cached
Mar 1, 2010 – The herbicide atrazine, one of the world's most widely used pesticides, wreaks havoc with the sex lives of adult male frogs, ...
thanks for taking the time to reply
Attachments
200px-TheHandmaidsTale(1stEd).jpg
200px-TheHandmaidsTale(1stEd).jpg (21.3 KiB) Viewed 865 times

Return to “Culture, Politics, Philosophy”