bradley manning, scapegoat?

What in the world is going on?
mnaz

bradley manning, scapegoat?

Post by mnaz » January 20th, 2012, 8:55 pm

sorry for all the unpleasant topics the last few months / years, but there's a lot going on out there in the big, bad world. i'd like to get some reactions / thoughts on this article, if anyone cares to.

"How Scapegoating Bradley Manning Avoids the Truth About the American Military" (by Chase Madar, 1 / 19 / 12):

http://www.alternet.org/world/153817/ho ... _military/

the article's author denounces the vilification of whistleblower bradley manning, who is facing a courtmarshal for leaking "classified" data to wikileaks, and also the hypocrisy and culpability of our military and political class over the last decade.
Washington elites squabble over some things, but as for foreigners killed by our wars, our Beltway crew adheres to a sullen code of omertà. Club rules do, however, permit one loophole: Washington officials may bemoan the nightmare of civilian casualties — but only if they can be pinned on a 24-year-old Army private first class named Bradley Manning. Pfc. Manning, you will remember, is the young soldier who is soon to be court-martialed for passing some 750,000 military and diplomatic documents, a large chunk of them classified, to the website WikiLeaks. Among those leaks, there was indeed some serious stuff about how Americans dealt with civilians in invaded countries.
... the documents revealed that the U.S. military did little or nothing to prevent Iraqi authorities from torturing prisoners in a variety of gruesome ways, sometimes to death. Then there was that gun-sight video — unclassified but buried in classified material — of an American Apache helicopter opening fire on a crowd on a Baghdad street, gunning down a dozen men, including two Reuters employees, and injuring more, including children. There were also those field reports about how jumpy American soldiers repeatedly shot down civilians at roadsidecheckpoints; about night raids gone wrong both in Iraq and Afghanistan; and a count of thousands of dead Iraqi civilians, a tally whose existence the U.S. military had previously denied possessing.
“WikiLeaks might already have on their hands the blood of some young soldier or that of an Afghan family,” said Admiral Mike Mullen, then Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, on the release of the Afghan War Logs in July 2010--- the same Admiral Mullen who had endorsed a major escalation of the war in Afghanistan, which would lead to a tremendous “surge” in casualties among civilians and soldiers alike. Who, then, has blood on his hands, Pfc. Manning — or Admiral Mullen? Secretary of Defense Robert Gates also spoke sternly of Manning’s leaks, accusing him of “moral culpability.” The same Robert Gates who pushed for escalation in Afghanistan in 2009 and, in March 2011, flew to the Kingdom of Bahrain to offer his personal “reassurance of support” to a ruling monarchy already busy shooting and torturing nonviolent civilian protesters.
Politicians too. As a senator, Hillary Clinton supported the invasion of Iraq in flagrant contravention of the U.N. Charter, and she was a leading hawk on escalating and expanding the Afghan War, and is now responsible for disbursing an annual $1.3 billion in military aid to Egypt’s ruling junta whose forces have repeatedly opened fire on nonviolent civilian protesters. . . . . And among the “secrets” contained in various documents are the facts that the Strait of Gibraltar is a vital shipping lane and that the Democratic Republic of the Congo is rich in minerals. Have we become so infantilized that factoids of basic geography must be considered state secrets? . . . . the “threat” of this document’s release has since been roundly debunked by various military intellectuals.
Liza Goitein, a lawyer at the liberal Brennan Center at NYU Law School, accused Manning of “criminal recklessness” for putting civilians named in the Afghan War logs in peril. Until she made this charge, not a single report or press release issued by the Brennan Center has ever so much as uttered a mention of civilian casualties caused by the U.S. military.. This program’s 2011 report “Rethinking Radicalization,” which explored ways to prevent American Muslims from turning terrorist, makes not a single reference to the tens of thousands of documented civilian casualties caused by the American military in the Muslim world. The report does not even contain the words “Iraq,” “Afghanistan,” “drone strike,” “Pakistan” or “civilian casualties"-- incredible, since terrorists have confessed that what motivated their acts of violence has been the damage done by foreign military occupation back home or in the Muslim world. Asked why he tried to blow up Times Square with a car bomb in May 2010, Pakistani-American Faisal Shahzad said he was motivated by the civilian carnage the U.S. had caused in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan.
in the author's opinion, manning essentially did the right thing-- much of the information leaked needed to come to light. and he compares manning with other whistleblowers such as infantryman ron ridenhour, (my lai massacre, vietnam) and the sailors and marines who, in 1777, reported the torture of British captives by their politically connected commanding officer, all of whom were vilified in their time.

any thoughts on this?

Steve Plonk

Re: bradley manning, scapegoat?

Post by Steve Plonk » January 25th, 2012, 3:18 pm

Bradley Manning, if guilty, should be "thrown under the jailhouse".
Scapegoat? Eh? This was NOT the "Pentagon Papers".
You don't reveal ongoing military sources when you are IN the military.
The word "treason" comes up and quite rightly. It is a shame, but we
are still at war...I think giving stuff to online publishers is worse than giving
to the print media. He was a smart person and had plenty going for him.
Too bad. :(

mnaz

Post by mnaz » January 25th, 2012, 8:56 pm

Steve Plonk wrote:You don't reveal ongoing military sources when you are IN the military.
i'm not sure exactly what you mean by this, but the article claims that "military intellectuals" have reviewed the leaks and concluded that they were not of a nature as to directly compromise the specifics of combat operations--- and as such, did not directly endanger lives.

and the article also points out the trend in washington of "over-classifying" things, especially pertaining to sensitive or controversial policy.

so if these two claims are correct as written (admittedly it would be hard for any of us to verify on our own), then i see manning's actions in a different light, and i agree with the author's general idea--- that more of the onus and questioning should fall on the policy-makers and military leaders.

was it wrong that the apache helicopter attack in iraq came to light? or do we have a right to know what our military is perpetrating in our name? a question not so easy to dismiss i.m.o. and jeez, when even things such as mineral data in various countries are "classified," then what does the term really mean?
The word "treason" comes up and quite rightly.
again, if he endangered lives-- yes. but if he did little more than cut through a number of shameful cover-ups, i don't think it's so cut-and-dried. what about treasonous leaders and policy-makers? when do they go on trial?
I think giving stuff to online publishers is worse than giving
to the print media.
yes, but if you give it to mainstream corporate media, it's likely to never see the light of day....

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » January 25th, 2012, 10:41 pm

I don´t know... the term "scapegoat" itself requires a lot of attention... :roll: :shock:

Sure you as locals know a lot about it than myself: I read that his prison conditions are very extreme and cruel.... is it necessary?? :( Hey, he´s only 24 years old and from my point of view he was just sensitive enough to not bear the information sorrounding him. Is it a crime? I don´t think so!, but maybe the case (most of all) became a huge narcissistic herida for the USA Military (in capital letters)... also difficult to bear being in their shoes, I guess...

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » January 26th, 2012, 12:37 pm

a related note, in a different scenario and with more visible consecuences...

http://www.pagina12.com.ar/diario/contr ... 01-26.html

Steve Plonk

Post by Steve Plonk » January 26th, 2012, 6:38 pm

Mnaz, some of your points are well-taken...Tell me more...

Arcadia, I highly respect Juan Gelman, for his poetry, and am very glad he found his niece back in 2000. I know that your article was about him, but I'll need my daughter for an English translation.

According to my English readings, Gelman's views on Israel and the United States are not positive and some folks up here think that his "extreme anti-semitic" views are getting in the way of his popularity in some other places.
I read that Gelman currently lives in Mexico & is a famous ex-patriate Argentinian...He's one of the most respected Spanish speaking poets in the
world...

Israel is surrounded by arab countries and many of them are hostile to their government & people. I really am pleased that the United States is determined to help Israel any way they can. It is suprising to me that Gelman is so anti-Israel given that his grandparents were of the Hebrew faith. :?

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » January 26th, 2012, 9:05 pm

Steve: Gelman was not talking (at least directly) about Israel in this article... :) I linked the article as a reference about the twisted dialectics of war... and about labels I guess Gelman would label himself more as a "antisionista" than an "antisemitic" but I don´t know, I´m just not Gelman!. Plus I don´t know if he wants to label himself! ... :lol:

It is suprising to me that Gelman is so anti-Israel given that his grandparents were of the Hebrew faith. well, it´s not at all surprising to me. :)

mnaz

Post by mnaz » January 27th, 2012, 10:31 pm

arcadia, i haven't had time yet to respond to your comments, but i plan on it . . .

here's another article from a few weeks ago:

"History will remember Bradley Manning better" (by Amy Goodman, 12 / 21 / 11)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... s-uprising
In April 2010, the whistle-blower website WikiLeaks released a video called Collateral Murder. It was a classified US military video from July 2007, from an Apache attack helicopter over Baghdad. The video shows a group of men walking, then the systematic killing of them in a barrage of high-powered automatic fire from the helicopter. Soldiers' radio transmissions narrate the carnage, varying from cold and methodical to cruel and enthusiastic. Two of those killed were employees of the international news agency Reuters: Namir Noor-Eldeen, a photojournalist, and Saeed Chmagh, his driver.

Renowned whistle-blower Daniel Ellsberg, who released the Pentagon Papers that helped end the war in Vietnam and who himself is a marine veteran who trained soldiers on the laws of war, told me: "Helicopter gunners hunting down and shooting an unarmed man in civilian clothes, clearly wounded ... that shooting was murder. It was a war crime.
Another recently revealed Cablegate release exposed details of an alleged 2006 massacre by US troops in the Iraqi town of Ishaqi, north of Baghdad. Eleven people were killed, and the cable described eyewitness accounts in which the group, including five children and four women, was handcuffed, then executed with bullets to the head. The US military then bombed the house, allegedly to cover up the incident. Citing attacks like these, the Iraqi government said it would no longer grant immunity to US soldiers in Iraq. President Barack Obama responded by announcing he would pull the troops out of Iraq. Like a modern-day Ellsberg, if Manning is guilty of what the Pentagon claims, he helped end the war in Iraq.
good point, even if somewhat speculative. the immunity issue was a sore spot even before 2010 due to various incidents, such as the haditha murders. but it gave al maliki more hard evidence to back up his firm stance.

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » January 28th, 2012, 10:49 am

good that Amy wrote about Manning, I hope that also helps him now, somehow! :)

e_dog

Post by e_dog » July 5th, 2012, 11:50 pm

he ain't no scapegoat.

he a saint, yo.

was jesus a scapegoat
?

bradley is a god, demigod least.
I don't think 'Therefore, I am.' Therefore, I am.

Return to “Culture, Politics, Philosophy”