What's that got to do with the price of pot?

What in the world is going on?
Lightning Rod

What's that got to do with the price of pot?

Post by Lightning Rod » September 22nd, 2004, 8:35 am

Kitty Kelly, in her book on the Bush family, relates that Laura Bush was a dope dealing co-ed at SMU.

Speaking of Mrs. Bush, Ms. Kelley writes: "She graduated from Southern Methodist University in 1968 and had been known in her college days as a go-to girl for dime bags of marijuana. 'She not only smoked dope,' said Robert Nash, an Austin friend of many in Laura's S.M.U. class, 'but she sold dope.' "

Mr Nash has since been bought off and is denying ever talking to Kitty Kelly (even though she has tapes from three separate interviews with him) but this passage started me thinking.

I can remember in 1968 that the going price for reefer in the Dallas area was $10 per ounce.

The last ounce of pot that I bought cost me $250.

What does that tell you about our economy?
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » September 22nd, 2004, 8:44 pm

Our economy has gone to pot, Clay.. or is that Clay pot...? whichever. I too, remember those great "4 finger lids" for 10 bucks... "those were the days, my friend..."

Sometime in the early 70's (if I remember correctly...), I was living in SF and the house I was at, a dealer came over to make a sale. He pulled out four different baggies and proceeded to talk about each one.. "this is Michoacan", "this is Panamanian", "this is Ohaxan"(sp?)... saving the best for last, he continued "and this! this is Brand X!!"

Needless to say that perked up the imagination somewhat. I proceed to tell him, "Let's sample that Brand X." It was a very smooth smoke, hitting gently within 30 seconds or so... a high that kept rising each passing half minute .. until it tapered off to a nice, friendly high, not a knock out party crashin' stone, but a happy Jack-type of buzz that made the idea of any other sample irrelevant. The house mates chipped in to buy Brand X, a worthy purchase.

But this was also the downfall (for me) of "dime bags"... never mind the origin, it was all before that time a dime. Seems as tho the dealer got smart and began labeling the shit... different names meant different prices. A trend which has not ceased to this day, as you are well aware. For me "Brand X" was the end of $10 'o-zee's'... Shit!

mnaz

Post by mnaz » September 22nd, 2004, 8:53 pm

Yes. But did she inhale?

Actually, wouldn't it be great if more Methodists
smoked pot?

Return to “Culture, Politics, Philosophy”