YESSSSSSSS! i love my country.

What in the world is going on?
Glorious Amok

YESSSSSSSS! i love my country.

Post by Glorious Amok » September 24th, 2004, 10:58 am

Nova Scotia has just become the sixth jurisdiction in Canada to allow gay couples to marry.

The Nova Scotia Supreme Court ruled Friday (today) that banning such marriages is unconstitutional and ordered the province to recognize same sex unions.

Justice Heather Robertson's decision effectively changes the definition of marriage in Nova Scotia to "the lawful union of two persons, to the exclusion of all others.''

The decision was not opposed by either the province or the government of Canada.

The case in Nova Scotia began back in August, when three couples asked the court to rule that banning same-sex marriages is unconstitutional. The couples also argued same-sex couples who have married outside the province should have their status recognized in Nova Scotia.

Already, Ontario, British Columbia, Quebec, Manitoba and the Yukon have legalized gay and lesbian unions.

Lawyer Sean Foreman said ahead of the ruling that he was fairly confident it would be allowed.

"I don't want to make it seem like it's a foregone conclusion, but that's what I expect,'' Foreman said Thursday.

"For all of us, it's a done deal. The issue was extensively dealt with and every single one of those judges all found unanimously it violated the Constitution to deny same-sex marriage, and it couldn't be justified.''

On Thursday, Premier John Hamm declined to say whether or not he supports same-sex marriages, but said he would abide by the court's decision.

One of the three couples in this case were married in Toronto when Ontario legalized same-sex unions in 2003, but are now fighting to have their marriage recognized at home.

Another couple is seeking to have their union legally recognized. And the third couple joined the case because they hope to marry this year to mark their 20th year together.

The Supreme Court of Canada will begin holding hearings on the federal government's draft legislation to legalize same-sex marriage across the country.
"YOUR way is your only way." - jack kerouac

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » September 24th, 2004, 11:07 am

I read an article the other day
in Canada they are even recognizing
same sex divorces
oh well, every coin has two sides
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

Glorious Amok

Post by Glorious Amok » September 24th, 2004, 11:12 am

yep, we're just like grown-ups now, all these big important choices to make!

'to be, or not to be, that is the question.'
- Wm. Shakespeare

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » September 24th, 2004, 11:28 am

to be, or not to be, that is the question.'
- Wm. Shakespeare
and then there is "for better or worse"

The Poet's Eye

Glorious Amok

Post by Glorious Amok » September 24th, 2004, 12:36 pm

true that! marriage is such a risky decision. and some people enjoy a good risk - go figure!

but you know, in spite of having the way out thru divorce, and even thru separation, the whole phenomenon of having a marriage performed still speaks volumes about the relationship itself. or at least that's what it's there for. it's up to the individual to choose whether they've made the right decision or not.

the point is, that now we ALL have that choice to make!

some people are anti-gay marriage, but L-Rod, you're just anti-marriage.

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » September 24th, 2004, 3:16 pm

it's not that I am against marriage as an institution
it's just that I try, whenever possible, to avoid getting the State involved in my personal life.

The Poet's Eye

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » September 24th, 2004, 3:31 pm

LR- hmmm.... i guess i'll chalk up all those proposals to inebriation and forget about 'em entirely.... just when i was seriously considering it, too...oh well

oGloriousOne- nice country you live in.. too bad it's so damn cold... i was considering moving there one day until i realized the climate wouldn't be comfortable for me...... oh well

Zlatko Waterman

Post by Zlatko Waterman » September 24th, 2004, 3:48 pm

In spite of total inebriation and other madnesses, I would never have considered matrimony in my non-alcoholic clarity circa 1968.

Now after three marriages and my last ( 3rd) which has endured for twenty years this October with a fiber ( or fibre) of madness and sensitivity and what e.e. cummings correctly assesses

"love is the thing
that's holding the stars together . ."

past ambrosial sex, past youth and yearning, past dashed hopes and very real fears ( cancer, heart attack), there's only one conclusion:

It works if you find the right person, otherwise,

fark it-- the whole proposition . . .

Glorious congrats, Glorious!

---Z

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » September 24th, 2004, 4:13 pm

Zlatko - congrats on the success and longevity.... love is what it takes, yep.

Glorious - i'm so happy for you! (and your dude is a fox!... plus saw the pic of your new friend..... wonderful!)

As far as marriage for me, well, I've experienced two.... the first one ended after I found a woman hiding in my closet. This, only a month or so after filing a missing person's report with the police because he disappeared for 3 days. I hated that cop for telling me, "Sorry to tell you, ma'am, but usually missing person reports aren't filed for actual missing persons. He's probably not missing at all. He knows exactly where he is." – The second one ended after 9 miserable years for both of us and the kids. We didn't like each other very much. A match not made in heaven.

I never thought I'd consider marriage again but LR's proposals were starting to sound enticing. Who knows what he means by them when he says those words? Maybe he thinks by asking me to spend the rest of my life with him, he's only committing to a year or two anyway. LOL!!! I've always believed in commitment. After what I've been through, I should be committed!

But it's good to have a Sugar Daddy, anyway. He took me out to brunch today and bought me some flowers and bought the family groceries.

Glorious Amok

Post by Glorious Amok » September 24th, 2004, 5:51 pm

hey doreen, it's not cold in canada yet, it's 27 degrees outside today, too beautiful to stay indoors.

besides, it's the political-social climate in canada that's really comfortable!

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » September 24th, 2004, 6:01 pm

glorious, to me? if it's below 60, it's cold. well, i can hang when it gets down to 50, i suppose, but any colder than that? frrrrrrrigggid! :) It's 78 degrees here right now. Perfect climate.... (though not as comfortable socio-politically.... we're fixin' to change all that, though) :D

mnaz

Post by mnaz » September 24th, 2004, 7:25 pm

hey Glorious...

That's 27 degrees Celsius, right?

Glorious Amok

Post by Glorious Amok » September 25th, 2004, 11:17 am

mnaz, you are absolutely correct. what's that worth in american degrees?

it's another gorgeous day here again, socially, politically, and meterologically speaking!

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » September 25th, 2004, 1:22 pm

I watched a documentry on the Sundance Channel that just might pertain to this post. Just wondering GA if you have seen it????

PROM FIGHT: THE MARC HALL STORY

directed by Larry Peloso

YEAR

58 MINS, Color

Marc Hall, a 17-year-old high school student from suburban Canada, was looking forward to attending the prom with his date. However, an international media frenzy resulted when he informed his Catholic school that his date was named Jean-Paul. Larry Peloso's documentary sensitively presents the story of a brave teenager, who, without shame or apology, challenged his school's principal, the Durham Catholic District School Board and, finally, his community in a battle for respect and tolerance. TV14 (AC) Stereo/Letterbox

Now if only this country would do the same as well!!!! After all aren't we the "Land Of The Free."
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 2nd, 2009, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

knip

Post by knip » September 25th, 2004, 1:24 pm

27 Celcius = 81 Fahrenheit

heard about nova scotia granting the same-sex marriage thingy yesterday...apropos considering glorious, trout and i were discussing that very thing just last wednesday night

and the first gay divorce came a week ago, i think...personally, i am all for divorce, if that's what's needed...most divorces a good thing, i think...the divorce isn't wrong, but the marriage might have been

Return to “Culture, Politics, Philosophy”