The Great Debate

What in the world is going on?
Lightning Rod

The Great Debate

Post by Lightning Rod » September 27th, 2004, 9:56 pm

SPRINGFIELD, Ohio (Reuters) - President Bush on Monday mocked his Democratic rival John Kerry for shifting his positions on Iraq so many times he could "debate himself" in this week's face-off between the two candidates.

Don't Show Up Then, George.

as per my prediction, the debates are strictly formatted so as not to allow the candidates to interact with one another and making fools of themselves.

There are 32 pages of legal regulations describing what the contenders can say or do. I say give them sixteen ounce gloves and let them slug it out. These won't be debates, they will be tandem stump speeches. A debate is where the participants actually engage each other in argument. You won't see debates. You will see a dog and pony show.
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

e_dog

Post by e_dog » September 29th, 2004, 6:44 pm

of course, of course it will all be a show. even tho i won't be voting for him, i'd rather have ole Ralph Nader in the debates to spice it up, so someone can tell it like it is. for once.

there has been so much darn commentary on television about the debates, it is more than the superbowl pregame reporting. all the political commentators of the mainstrean press do is discuss, often with campaign strategists, what are the best methods the candidate can use to dupe and deceive and pander to the voters. it is almost explicitly the theme, and yet it still works! what a great democracy this is!
I don't think 'Therefore, I am.' Therefore, I am.

mnaz

Post by mnaz » September 30th, 2004, 10:39 pm

I'm depressed. I should have known better than to watch this debate. I just witnessed Kerry kick Bush's ass six ways to Sunday on just about every question, but I doubt if it will make a difference. I have this vision of people talking about how "sincere" Bush looked.... how they'd "rather have a beer with him", etc. etc. It's unbelievable to me.

BLLAAAHHH!!!!

----Ok, Rant Over----

knip

Post by knip » September 30th, 2004, 10:43 pm

on the contrary, i think georgie is in a world of hurt...he looked like little boy lost out there and i think it will ring out clear and true

and i am one of the most politically cautious guys around

mnaz

Post by mnaz » September 30th, 2004, 10:53 pm

Well knip....

I hope your right.

btw...
I just saw a poll on whether the debate changed anyone's
opinion.... almost dead-zero change.

I'm not as confident about the US electorate as you.

They were interviewing some Republican spokeswoman who played the tired, tired "flip flop" card... "Kerry said the war was a big mistake.... but he voted for the war, etc., etc."..... Never mind that Kerry set the record straight in the debate....namely that he voted to authorize force as a last resort, etc...

Ah, to hell with it...

TV off!!!

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » September 30th, 2004, 11:05 pm

I'm singularly unimpressed with both candidates.

The coverage is like coverage for a sports event

it was as ritualized as the Super Bowl

all I missed was the excitement

where was Janet Jackson's titty?

now the spin starts
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

mnaz

Post by mnaz » October 1st, 2004, 3:17 am

The "spin" started somewhere after the invention and proliferation of the electromagnetic media.... television in particular Well, it goes back further than that, I guess...... it flares up and dies down, like herpes or glory or the fakery of the stock market.

None of the above has anything to do with the fact that George W. Bush and his complicit band of lying thieves have no right to continue to "lead" the United States of America. That's the point here. The candidates are uninspiring? Well, pick the one who hasn't screwed us over already.

I try to keep my focus on this, though I admit cannot see everything.

hester_prynne

Indeed

Post by hester_prynne » October 1st, 2004, 7:57 pm

the debate about the debate.
I for one, felt incredible rushes of relief listening to Kerry. At least HE is telling it like it is. Bless his heart.

I am amazed at the stupidity and shallowness that has such power over this country, not to mention the power of the apathy of those of us who just let it continue.

WAKE UP FOLKS!
Even mother nature is calling for us all to quit pushing down our magma and let it surface.....let it blow, run that bastard off the top of the mountain!
Criminy!
We've let these criminals and creeps run things for too long and they have taken us all down with them. We are left with nothing...holding their garbage bag.

I can't help but think of pride and prejudice, a book written in puritan times that still describes the way it is right now, everybody silent while heinous crimes and injustices have been and are being committed.

I for one, would love to see someone go into the oval office, grab that little boyman by the scruff of his collar and kick him out the door into the street. Eighty-sixed from the white house forever! And in Shame!
H

(He could get up and dust himself off and go to his favorite bar and have a bud.....yeah, he'd be fine......)

Return to “Culture, Politics, Philosophy”