Zlatko Waterman

OPINIONS ON BUSH'S VICTORY FROM SAN FRANCISCO

Post by Zlatko Waterman » November 4th, 2004, 12:46 pm

TWO CENTS
On the election
What does Bush's victory mean for you?

Thursday, November 4, 2004

All:

The San Francisco Chronicle gathered these comments from residents around the Bay Area. So here are the views of some citizens from Allen Ginsberg's "cosmic power base" and the spawning ground for other beat activities:

--Z

Charles Stone, Capitola

I hope it does not mean suicide. I am on disability.Today's news on Social Security privatization include cutting benefits to current recipients. I'm already at poverty level. How can I live on less? "Compassionate conservatism" is a cruel oxymoron.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Albert Goodwyn, Oakland
For me, it means increased security and increasing affluence. For all of us, it means a more stable society. There is also a minor gloat factor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Adrienne Fodor, San Francisco
It means a rise in illnesses caused by environmental pollutants, unaffordable insurance, compromised freedoms, unprecedented mismanagement of our schools, a likely terrorist attack that may steal those I love from me. As a patriot, I shudder to realize our country is now inhabited by those who do not uphold American values. I feel isolated and angry in a way I cannot explain.

Nancy Kato, San Francisco
My plans haven't changed. I'll be out in the streets fighting for justice, peace, an end to the Iraq war, a return of our civil liberties. It's evident that working people need to take leadership in our own name.

Ernest Crownover, Santa Rosa
It means that traditional values have won; that the people are aware of the dangers of Islam and intend to confront terrorism; that the people demand a responsible government by patriots; that we are aware of the dangers of excessive liberalism; that we are a nation of believers in the good things, not cynics; and that we want to go forward in the world and world welfare; not retreat.

Holvis Delgadillo, Richmond
For me it means preparedness. The next four years are going to be the basis for the future of this country. Internal and external policy will change for the worst or the best -- depending on ideology. The irony is that the future for the young generation was chosen by an older generation. Only 10 percent of the young voters between ages 18 and 29 voted. It's a shame my future was decided by the old school.

Dan Yee, San Francisco
It surprised me. It will mean more young men to die in Iraq. It will mean that the rich will get richer and the middle class will struggle to meet make ends meet. His victory will insure that conservative judges will be appointed to the Supreme Court. I am not looking forward to the next four years.

Debbie Fischer, Daly City
The deciding factor for me in this election was homeland security, so I feel our country will be safer with George Bush in the White House.

George Mena, Fremont
Bush's victory means that those who supported Saddam's attempt at getting the U.N. sanctions lifted without having to comply with them will now have a lot of explaining to do. It also means that when France and Germany start sending troops to Iraq, we can send that many more of our troops to Afghanistan to hunt down Osama bin Laden. France and Germany can comply or be disowned by the USA.

Joe Maionchi, Vallejo
It means four more years of heartache over what this administration is doing to our country, the environment and the world.

Michael Dortch, Santa Rosa
The only thing Bush's victory might mean for me is the possibility that he might be around long enough to experience at close range the likely terrible effects of his efforts to mortgage the country's future. Between his tax cuts and his war, he all but guarantees a bleak near-term future for many, maybe even some of those he purports to care about.

Ted Mavrakos, Concord
I won't have to figure out what country I could move to to be free.

Jed Holtzman, San Francisco
I better get that Valium prescription posthaste! Dazed apathy sounds like sweet music compared to watching our country's environment, tolerance and international credibility go down the toilet.

Iren Jenny, Orinda
That unlike an automotive icon commercial, the Bay Area is not the heartbeat of America!

Margaret Chau, San Francisco
Fear and wonder. Not fear of terrorism, as Bush wants, but of the further erosion of civil rights,compassion and intelligence. And wonder at how the internationally most hated U.S. president can win this election?

Jason Mark, San Francisco
First, a few hours in the fetal position. Next, some self-medication with generous amounts of whiskey. Then getting back to the business of building a progressive majority that recognizes real "family values" means health care for all, a living wage, environmental sanity and a humane foreign policy.

Jim Evans, Fairfield
It means that instead of being deluded by "Bush-Lite" (John Kerry) as president, a candidate who supported the invasion of Iraq and the Patriot Act, we'll have four more years of "Bush-Regular," who supported the invasion of Iraq and supported the Patriot Act.

Marisa Fuentes, Oakland
Even darker political times. More pre-emptive strikes, more bloodshed, more deception, a rollback in women's reproductive rights and everyone's civil rights, even less international support, bigger pockets for Cheney & Co. and harder struggles for the average American. We're doomed.

Teresa Espana, Fresno
Initially it signals depression. I think what depresses me most is that the Democrats couldn't beat a lame president. Almost half those who voted for Kerry only did so because they were against Bush, not for Kerry. Unbelievable. Ultimately it means that I continue working within the progressive community to stop the social injustice that comes at the hands of Bush and Co.

Dick Steinbach, Novato
Continuity. A chance for Bush to become a statesman and reach out to heal some of the divides within and outside the country. I've already e-mailed him with my requests: heal the divisions, reduce the deficit, work on jobs, health care and lifting up the disenfranchised, resolve Iraq, beat down the terrorists.

Sandra Varner, Oakland
A commitment to expand my efforts to strengthen the platform of the progressive views within the Democratic party as well as expand the voice of liberal Christians.

Joy Brewer, Carmichael
What it means for me is that more than likely by the first of the year -- like many other good people -- I will be looking for a job. Can't get any happier than that about his stolen victory, can we now?

Jannie Saefong, Oakland
Bush's victory means another four years of misery and unhappiness for me. I am terribly upset with the results and horribly frustrated because the number of votes were so close. I hope future voters will think long and hard on what they are voting for next time.

Marietta Crane, San Francisco
It means that Iraq will not revert back to being ruled by a brutal dictator who has aggressive intentions towards other countries in the Middle East.

Ric Lobosco, San Rafael
Can't see any immediate personal direct impact. Plenty of long-term indirect impact: large scale Middle East war will suck more resources; misguided terror, economic, diplomatic, personal rights and other policies will expose everyone to degrading conditions. Our way of life can easily go to hell in the next four years.

Adam Lauppe, Merced
President Bush's victory scares the heck out of me. I cannot imagine the state of this nation after another four years of George W. Bush. I just hope I can make it through college without having to feel any of the effects of a Bush-lead economy.

Guy Smith, Alameda
For me, a bit of hope on the high court. For all his other deficits, Bush claims he will nominate only "strict constructionist" to the bench. For those of us that hold the constitution sacred, strict constructionists are essential for the maintenance of the republic.

Leutisha Stills, Hayward
It means four more years of the same old BS - as well as keeping everyone in abject fear while he finishes destroying this country. I'm sticking around to pick up the pieces and assist in restoring democracy if it's not too late.

Bridget Rivero, San Francisco
Bush's victory depresses me, because it indicates that lots of people continue to support this administration even though it's proven to be corrupt and inefficient. It's sad to think that so many Americans can't or won't study the facts and vote accordingly. On the other hand, Bush and Cheney are loads of fun to mock.

Philip Ha, Oakland
Bush's victory means four years of destruction, four years of idiotic decisions and four more years of a futile leader.

Nancy Tran, Oakland
Another four years of hell. I can't believe he won. As if there weren't enough deaths already in the U.S., let's send Americans to a foreign country so they can get killed over there.

MaryAnn Wofford, Fremont
The contract of Social Security is all but gone. I recall President Bush saying he would do no nation building in his first election bid and here we are occupying Iraq. Social Security will be the first campaign promise he will turn his back on in the second administration.

Sally Mecham, Bethel Island
Directly, probably very little. However, I am a lifelong capitalist Republican and hope to see more business and "hard worker" friendly leadership -- leadership that appreciates hard work, saving and worker loyalty rather than "gimme, gimme, gimme."

Kat Amano, San Francisco
It means I'm leaving the country for four years. At least after Jan. 20, 2005, when I'm planning on being in D.C. to pelt tomatoes at his motorcade.

Darren Ooyman, San Francisco
A Bush victory means four more years of poor decisions based on arbitrary justifications, universal ambivalence, and the continuation of the Bush administration's tendency to fight for the very rich before fighting for very poor. I believe we will be heading in the wrong direction now that Bush has been re-elected, because he does a good job in dividing the nation when he means to do the opposite. Americans, for the next four years, will be bombarded with new Orwellian doublespeak terms that confuse our citizens.

Kent Woo, San Francisco
For my wife and me, it means four more years of frustration. For her, a teacher, it means a continuation of "No Child Left Behind", which confounds schools in minority communities. For me, a social worker, it means a continued decimation of health and social programs for the needy.

Al Sartor, Walnut Creek
It reaffirms my faith in America. On a much lessor scale, it means payback time. Thanks in part to a young ambitious Kerry, soldiers were reviled for serving their country in Vietnam. Thanks in part to the Swiftboaters, this has now been avenged. It is fitting that retribution came so close to Veteran's Day.

Tom Platner, Danville
President Bush's victory demonstrates to me that our country, excluding the island known as the Bay Area, showed how well our Democracy works. We have chosen a leader with a solid foundation and beliefs. The USA was built on the principles President Bush supports: personal responsibility, faith in God and love of country.

John Hurabiell, San Francisco
The wisdom of the electorate means that the war on terror will be properly and aggressively managed. It also means that the positive economic climate that this administration has created will be grown and enhanced to the benefit of us all. It also means that morality will prevail over expediency.

Charles Barragan, San Francisco
Bush's victory in both the Electoral College and popular vote gives him the credibility I felt Dubya lacked from his s/election in 2000. I hope that we Democrats can move on from bitching about his anointment four years ago to focus on challenging the legitimacy of his policies and values.

Ruben Orosco, Livermore
I'm reflecting on what the results have revealed about our country. A country divided by morals and values that view the world in clearly black and white terms with no room for the middle. Positions on policy and the intricacies of an issue were lost in the tidal wave of one's faith.

Christopher Toy, Pacifica
To the best of my knowledge, Bush's victory will mean that I can be somewhat at peace with a man or moral character in charge of the most successful government in history. He has a standard that he lives by and that I can see. When one lives without standard, anything goes. (coughcough flipflop)

Stu Woo, San Francisco
I'm taking Kerry's loss optimistically: This means that Barack Obama can get to the White House four years sooner.

Blair Calhoun, Half Moon Bay
President Bush's re-election proves the rule: we seldom elect the statesman we need, but we always get the politician we deserve. To those distressed by the election results, remember there was a time when the majority of folks thought the world was flat.

Julia Chan, Oakland
Another four years of living under the ever-changing colors of the terror alert system and constant criticism from the people of the United States that allowed Bush to have another four years.

Yvonne Holt, Merced
It means we have four more years to straighten out the huge mess created by what's-his-name, oh yeah, Clinton. It means we still have time to repair the huge financial damage caused by each local government and school system's officials caught stealing from the government pot before more Democrats spend it on useless social reforms that don't work.

David Leong, San Francisco
A lessened esteem of the American voting public and a reminder that the price of freedom is eternal vigilance, not just to guard against external enemies, but also domestic ineptitude.

Billy Jeffrey, San Francisco
For me it means excitement, contentment, and relief. I am so happy that Bush won. Now I don't have to worry that the leader of the free world will wimp-out against terrorism. I'm happy that Osama bin Laden can't bully our people, and that our enemies and allies alike know that we are a strong country that is willing to stand up for liberty and freedom everywhere. And I'm relieved the campaign is over.

Diana Sinclair, Danville
As I said to a co-worker this morning, "Now I don't have to dig out my veil or learn Arabic." I feel a little safer in my own country and in my own home, I feel that my wallet, my earnings, are a little more my own for the next four years, and somewhat protected from runaway taxation and runaway spending by the Feds, because George W. Bush has been re-elected.

Joseph Baylock, Burlingame
It should mean an end to Dan Rather's use of CBS News as his personal rumor mill. Putting an end to Memogate, HDXgate and "reporting" on the Internet hoaxes about reinstitution of the draft will mean I don't have to correct as many panicky e-mails from uninformed friends.

Irene Nexica, Oakland
I worked in New Mexico through Nov. 2 with mostly poor Latino voters. Disrespect for the importance of allowing everyone to vote is currently a determinant in the results of the election, either directly through intimidation or harassment at the polls or indirectly by discouraging those without much social power from believing that their votes are as precious as everyone else's.

Lawrence Wong, San Francisco
Four more years of the same. Less jobs, increased health care costs, record federal deficits, no Social Security or Medicare, more right-wing Supreme Court justices to roll back our civil rights, more U.S. casualties in Iraq, a draft, and another 9/11 terrorist attack on Bush's watch. Americans, are you insane?

Nora Barrows-Friedman, Albany
It means: War. Death. Fascism. Silence. Faith-based repression. Occupation. Destruction. Manipulation. Frustration. Racism. The terrorists (in the White House) have won, again.

Peter Woodke, San Francisco
For me it means four more years of character assassination by the likes of Michael Moore and possibly a few interesting Supreme Court nomination battles. Maybe a decrease in Bay Area housing prices if enough people migrate to Canada and France.

Nashwa Emam, Oakland
Genocide in the Middle East, being broke because of college loans, and continued racism against the Arab/Muslim community.

Fran Chan, San Francisco
If he won it fairly, shame on the voters. I am glad I do not live in their state. If he did it through clever shenanigans, shame on us. All in all, the whole system needs overhauling and we need to have it done sooner than later so that it would truly reflect better representation of voters

Jaime San Felippo, San Francisco
As a gay man, Bush's victory means I will not be able to marry legally any time soon. It means I have to live by laws based on his Christian values and morals, which many people based their vote on. It means there is no separation of church and state, and we will all be victims of that in the coming four years.

Heather Lynd, Rohnert Park
Bush's victory means that the democratic party needs to re-evaluate their campaigning strategy. What are the concerns of the American people? War on terrorism is a concern but so is our declining economy. It seemed to me that Bush was constantly defending his decisions with the war in Iraq that Kerry was forced to focus on cleaning up his mess. But ideally, Kerry should have addressed the war on terror but also focused on the needs of the American people. I also feel that Bush's religious values had a lot to do with his win. Many conservatives have strong religious beliefs and fancy Bush's faith in God. Maybe the Democratic party needs to express their love for God more. Let's just hope the next four years are better than the last.

JoMay Schleicher, Moraga
It means that northern California should secede. That, or women must embrace the true meaning of feminism in order to change the direction of this country.

Ryan Panlilio, Santa Cruz
It means four more years of close-minded thinking, i.e. -- Iraq is partly responsible for 9/11, destroying the environment, and bans on abortion and gay marriage.

Daniel Kerrigan, Colma
What President Bush's victory means for me is that our country is on the right track for four more years, that the war on terror will continue to be pursued in a competent and aggressive manner, and that we will not have to get permission from France to defend ourselves.

Cecilia Wu, San Francisco
I'm so happy that Bush won. I'm all for him.

Edward Bell, San Francisco
Not much. During the last three years of Bush's presidency the economy has remained stagnant, and we started a war with no end in sight. It's difficult to believe that Kerry could not convince people that he could do better. At least we won't be subjected to more campaign ads.

Dan Dobleman, Daly City
It means there is a God, and all's well that ends well.

Two Cents is a pool of Bay Area residents we tap for comments and anecdotes. Columns are a representative sampling of responses to questions we pose via e-mail. To join the pool, e-mail us at twocents@sfchronicle.com.

Page Z - 144

Return to “Culture, Politics, Philosophy”