Hello My name is John Kerry and I am a fucking idiot

Creative complaints & humor.
stilltrucking

Hello My name is John Kerry and I am a fucking idiot

Post by stilltrucking » March 9th, 2014, 10:21 am

Steve Plonk

Re: Hello My name is John Kerry and I am a fucking idiot

Post by Steve Plonk » March 9th, 2014, 2:41 pm

John Kerry doesn't make policy, Obama does. I, too, think they're barking up the wrong tree in Crimea. See below... 8)
For more information on Crimea, et al, see my thread in my Column:
http://studioeight.tv/phpbb/viewtopic.p ... 92#p172792

stilltrucking

Re: Hello My name is John Kerry and I am a fucking idiot

Post by stilltrucking » March 10th, 2014, 10:25 pm

Cut and paste from the NYTIMES
http://studioeight.tv/phpbb/viewtopic.p ... 51#p172851
There has been a shift in Americans’ understanding of the role of the U.S. and the nature of power, with complex and...

We’re in the middle of a remarkable shift in how Americans see the world and their own country’s role in the world. For the first time in half a century, a majority of Americans say that the U.S. should be less engaged in world affairs, according to the most recent Pew Research Center survey. For the first time in recorded history, a majority of Americans believe that their country has a declining influence on what’s happening around the globe. A slight majority of Americans now say that their country is doing too much to help solve the world’s problems.

At first blush, this looks like isolationism. After the exhaustion from Iraq and Afghanistan, and amid the lingering economic stagnation, Americans are turning inward.

But if you actually look at the data, you see that this is not the case. America is not turning inward economically. More than three-quarters of Americans believe the U.S. should get more economically integrated with the world, according to Pew.

What’s happening can be more accurately described this way: Americans have lost faith in the high politics of global affairs. They have lost faith in the idea that American political and military institutions can do much to shape the world. American opinion is marked by an amazing sense of limitation — that there are severe restrictions on what political and military efforts can do.

This sense of limits is shared equally among Democrats and Republicans, polls show. There has been surprisingly little outcry against the proposed defense cuts, which would reduce the size of the U.S. Army to its lowest levels since 1940. That’s because people are no longer sure military might gets you very much.

These shifts are not just a result of post-Iraq disillusionment, or anything the Obama administration has done. The shift in foreign policy values is a byproduct of a deeper and broader cultural shift.

The veterans of World War II returned to civilian life with a basic faith in big units — big armies, corporations and unions. They tended to embrace a hierarchical leadership style.

The Cold War was a competition between clearly defined nation-states.

Commanding American leaders created a liberal international order. They preserved that order with fleets that roamed the seas, armies stationed around the world and diplomatic skill.

Over the ensuing decades, that faith in big units has eroded — in all spheres of life. Management hierarchies have been flattened. Today people are more likely to believe that history is driven by people gathering in the squares and not from the top down. The liberal order is not a single system organized and defended by American military strength; it’s a spontaneous network of direct people-to-people contacts, flowing along the arteries of the Internet.

The real power in the world is not military or political. It is the power of individuals to withdraw their consent. In an age of global markets and global media, the power of the state and the tank, it is thought, can pale before the power of the swarms of individuals.

Return to “Rant, Rage & Laugh”