ranting as a phishing mechanism

Creative complaints & humor.
sweetwater

ranting as a phishing mechanism

Post by sweetwater » February 2nd, 2015, 11:20 am

Phishing is attempting to acquire information (and sometimes, indirectly, money) such as usernames, passwords, and credit card details by masquerading as a trustworthy entity in an electronic communication. Communications purporting to be from popular social web sites, auction sites, online payment processors or IT administrators are commonly used to lure the unsuspecting public. Phishing emails may contain links to websites that are infected with malware.[1] Phishing is typically carried out by e-mail spoofing[2] or instant messaging,[3] and it often directs users to enter details at a fake website whose look and feel are almost identical to the legitimate one. Phishing is an example of social engineering techniques used to deceive users,[4] and exploits the poor usability of current web security technologies.[5] Attempts to deal with the growing number of reported phishing incidents include legislation, user training, public awareness, and technical security measures.
A phishing technique was described in detail in 1987, and (according to its creator) the first recorded use of the term "phishing" was made in 1995. The term is a variant of fishing,[6] probably influenced by phreaking,[7][8] and alludes to "baits" used in hopes that the potential victim will "bite" by clicking a malicious link or opening a malicious attachment, in which case their financial information and passwords may then be stolen.
https://www.authy.com/what-is-phishing

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Re: ranting as a phishing mechanism

Post by Doreen Peri » February 3rd, 2015, 10:47 pm

Sweetwater, I added quotation code plus the link to the source of this material. Please use quotation code and link to the source or people will think you wrote the material yourself, and you didn't. You need to protect yourself from copyright infringement

In addition, the site has a rule about quoting the material other people wrote. It's imperative that you use the quote code, credit the author, and link to the source of the material.

I've seen quite a few posts you've made within the past few days which are simply copying and pasting from other websites. The material you are posting is copyrighted, so this is not allowed.

Considering Fair Use Copyright Laws, you may post an excerpt from the material someone else wrote as long as you use the quote code, link to the source, and credit the author.

All that said, if the author or copyright owner ever contacts Studio8 and doesn't want the material on this site, I will have to delete it.

Please know I tried to send you private messages the other day but you don't read them or reply. That's why I'm posting this here. Thank you!

Return to “Rant, Rage & Laugh”