So Sue Me

Honoring Clay January (Lightning Rod) RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
Lightning Rod

So Sue Me

Post by Lightning Rod » August 14th, 2005, 12:46 am

So Sue Me
for release 08-15-05
Washington D.C.

It's no secret that the internet has turned the whole concept of copyright on it's ear. People are copying and pasting and posting and downloading and forwarding copyrighted material every minute of the day. Anybody that can reach the Enter key is a publisher these days. The technology makes this possible, not the law.

Laws are many times sedimentary. They represent a response to situations that existed in the past and many times they stay on the books long beyond their usefulness or applicability. There are still municipalities in Texas that have laws stating that you can't drive an automobile into town unless you have a horse leading with a red flag or a lantern. Even though we no longer live in a world where ladies and horses can be startled by an automobile, some of those laws are still on the books.

Similarly, we no longer live in a world where books are made of paper and records are made of vinyl. Technology has, as usual, trumped tradition and law. Books and recordings and movies used to be physical objects. The publishers were selling you paper and the record companies were selling an object that could be played on a machine and the movie makers were selling a comfortable seat in a theater. But that's not the world we live in today. Now anyone with a broadband connection can access practically anything that has been printed anywhere in the last decade and listen to any song that was recorded in the last half century or see any movie or grab any piece of software for free.

This puts a strain on the folks who have been getting fat by selling you entertainment and enlightenment and how-to books and bubble-gum records and blockbuster movies. It's like what the oil companies would feel like if all of a sudden you could just drive up to a gas pump and fill your tank without paying, or if the supermarkets just removed the checkers and let everyone take whatever they wanted.

There is a saying in the subculture of thieves. "Locks are for honest people." My partner insists on buying all our software. Her son has no compunction about downloading it for free. Regardless of legal niceties, the world has changed. Even the mega record companies and RIAA don't have the resources or the inclination to sue every college kid who downloads an Eminem record.

The technology will evolve further. Wherever there is a highway, somebody will figure out a way to make a toll road out of it. Already the technology exists to pay an artist a nickel per click when someone listens to their music or reads their words or watches their flash movie creation or video. This is a good thing. This means that we can cut out the middle man. Of course the middle man is not going to be too happy about it.

I'm listening to Eva Cassidy right now. My partner, who won't crack a piece of software, had no trouble with the idea of downloading a live version of Eva doing Bridge Over Troubled Waters. She didn't offer to pay Paul Simon or Eva Cassidy's estate for the privilege of listening to it, no, not anymore than she would send them a check if she heard the tune on the radio.

Eva Cassidy never 'made it' during her lifetime. She was dead before she got discovered. It doesn't matter to her. But I love listening to her music. It tears my heart out. Who should I pay? Her record company? I don't think so, not if I can get it for free. I would gladly pay Eva, though.

Now Google is about to digitally transcribe the contents of some of the world's major libraries. That means that every one of us can have access to the collected writings of our civilization. This is a good thing. But Google has put the project on hold because of copyright issues. When are these people going to move into the twenty-first century?

The Poet's Eye has always glanced askance at the notion that you can own an idea.

Right or wrong,
I'm gonna steal your song
So, Sue--ooo-ooo me
Yea or nay the judge will say,
'get out your copyright
we're having fun tonight
who wrote scrambled eggs?'
---lrod, So, Sue Me
click to listen to the mp3
Last edited by Lightning Rod on August 14th, 2005, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » August 14th, 2005, 12:59 am

China is doing a pretty good job of policing the Internet for subversives. They watch everything. How long before corporate america borrows a page from their book.

K&D

Post by K&D » August 14th, 2005, 11:46 am

i've debated the issue...i hate people who download films...not just one or two, but at my college people download hundreds of them for nothing. granit (as i say it...don't know whether its grant it or whata but i've been saying and spelling granit granit for the logest time and i will continue to do so out of spite) these films are Major Motion Pictures...big ass companies, but on occasion you'll see smaller independent films ripped off and that really pisses me off. i use to download music illegally, just because it was assumed that thats what you did with the people i hung out with, in the begining it wasan't something you questioned too much...but i've slowed down on that just because technically speaking i think it is an enfringement on their intelectual property...but as far as laws go, its probably one of the ones i value least.

boy, do my friends give me shit about the fact that i don't download everyting i want for free though.

Return to “Lightning Rod”