Einstein wrote to FDR:
powers of Uranium

and how it could be harnessed:
nuclear chain reaction.
well I write music review so I do:
http://www.elevationstation.net

mnaz

Post by mnaz » January 20th, 2005, 1:49 pm

We should have never gone down that road.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » January 20th, 2005, 5:07 pm

We should have never gone down that road.
"When we arm ourselves we arm our enemies."
The Human Use Of Human Beings

Bennie I thought this one was going to be a poem,

something about that year 1939, Auden?

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » January 22nd, 2005, 4:05 am

When I saw the date this is what I thought of
rivers and secret salt piles for the soliers
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.litkicks.com/BeatPages/messa ... &parent=-1

bennie

Post by bennie » January 22nd, 2005, 8:03 am

halo stilltrucking,

how's it hanging?

I forgot about that poem. I forget about a lot of them. they get boring after a while. I don't have a copy of that one on my hard drive. i do now.

Man, i used to be a pretty good poet.
well I write music review so I do:
http://www.elevationstation.net

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » January 23rd, 2005, 1:33 am

It stayed with me, I am pretty stupid about poetry and music, just sometimes I hear something that stays with me but
just because I like your stuff don't mean you owe me anything.
"anybody who calls himself a poet is probably not"

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » June 10th, 2007, 2:36 am

Should I say Duh
"When we arm ourselves we arm our enemies."
The Human Use Of Human Beings

Bennie I thought this one was going to be a poem,

something about that year 1939, Auden?
you see I have not lost my touch
"always one step in back of and sadly in search of a poet" paraphrase of waylon jennings song
I don't know how I can get it sometimes when I am not getting it.

bennie said
Man, i used to be a pretty good poet.
a lot of your stuff comes to mind
I can't say much about poetry but sometimes a poem will leave a trace feeling even if I can not remember the words

A lot of what I remember about your poems are just phrases. I don't hardly ever remember a whole poem. I did that a long time ago in High School. I get bored with wrote memoration. I suppose I am lazy.

well anyway...
I was trashing around here the back lot of studio eight and I found this...
Einstein wrote to FDR:
powers of Uranium

and how it could be harnessed:
nuclear chain reaction.
I was thinking about Kayla's expected date of sometime in August and I found that one. Her baby is due in august and I was surfing around to see if she was going to have a Studio Eight Twin, nothing to do with your post and august is still months away. But I Naturally got to thinking about Japan on a clear day in August.

The last thing Einstein wrote, they found it on his death bed. He was writing a Letter to Israel commemorating Israel's seventh independence day. In

I believe these are his last written words,
"Politics are for the moment. An equation is for eternity"AE
I lost the link but I have the quote.
But to me our equations are far more important, for politics are only a matter of present concern. A mathematical equation stands forever." [/quot]
cold comfort
Again I am reminded of the Human Use of Human Beings, Like the end of easy rider, Einstein blew it. but I can understand why, it is H*tler's saddest legacy, the survivors, the children of the survivors and refugees.
I wish I could find the link, it was from a book about Einstein I think. or a blog maybe???
The author seemed to think that einstein realized how his efforts towards peace had so little influence. I don't know if you have read Cat's Craddle.

So there it is another ramble :roll:

joel

Post by joel » June 16th, 2007, 11:53 pm

I learn more from your rants and their conversational contexts than from so many....
"Every genuinely religious person is a heretic, and therefore a revolutionary" -- GBShaw

mnaz

Post by mnaz » June 17th, 2007, 1:03 am

Einstein blew it?

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » June 17th, 2007, 10:50 am

I have not found the url I was looking for. It is about the letter he was writing at the time of his death. He seemed to acknowledge that his efforts for peace had little impact on popular opinion. It was found on his death bed where it had fallen from his hands.
You are not thinking. You are merely being logical. - Neils Bohr to Albert Einstein
http://faculty.headroyce.org/~ssarkar/Quotes.htm
From now until his death, and despite poor health, Einstein gave all the energies not spent on his scientific work to campaigns for peace.
http://www.ppu.org.uk/learn/infodocs/pe ... tein4.html
Einstein's Leap of Faith

"My awareness of the essential nature of Judaism resists the idea of a Jewish state with borders, an army, and a measure of temporal power, no matter how modest. I am afraid of the inner damage Judaism will sustain -- especially from the development of a narrow nationalism within our own ranks, against which we have already had to fight strongly, even without a Jewish state."
Albert Einstein
http://www.beliefnet.com/story/178/story_17857_3.html
http://www.counterpunch.org/chuckman04042003.html

einsteins legacy
http://archive.peacemagazine.org/v19n4p06.htm

mnaz

Post by mnaz » June 17th, 2007, 2:06 pm

If anything, Einstein did about everything in his power to counsel humankind against blowing it... or so it would seem.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » June 17th, 2007, 4:17 pm

What was that line you had about Mother Teresa's regret that she could have done more.
Einstein -- despite his equation E = MC squared that provided the theoretical basis for turning atomic mass into energy -- had little interest in fission. But he grasped the nature of the Nazi menace. He ended up signing the letter to FDR, and later claimed it among his greatest regrets.

http://www.capitalcentury.com/1944.html

mnaz

Post by mnaz » June 17th, 2007, 5:55 pm

I think that was Stupid Bob, maybe... not sure... it was that joke about standing in line at the Pearly Gates and hearing St. Peter tell Mother Theresa, "you could have done more".... or something like that...

Einstein supported the integration of all nations into one world community and conduct of national affairs consistent with international rule of law and cooperation. He was dismayed by any trends toward fascism or corporate militarism and aggression, even to the point of urging civil disobedience and enduring possible jail time in support of those convictions. Einstein always seemed like some kind of prophet to me... a divine sort of cosmological insight, in general.

He may have had regrets about his part in helping to usher in the nuclear era; that's an understandable human reaction. But it's not as if he could have prevented it. The 20th Century gave us not only a drastic population explosion, but a more realistic and terrifying capacity for humankind to exterminate itself via weapons of mass destruction; thus nationalistic fervor and aggressive war in general should be quickly abandoned as obsolete paradigms for the survival of various interests, in the interest of survival of the species in general. Seems about right to me.

The 20th Century was a sort of "quantum" leap for humankind in terms of technology... thus, an incredible onus to find spiritual evolution to match... hence, my trademark, "the 20th Century was fair warning" sprinkled throughout my various rants.

Anyway, that's my basic take on Einstein, and life in general...

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » June 17th, 2007, 7:45 pm

Anyway, that's my basic take on Einstein, and life in general...
okay

I think Einstein blew it because I am a pacifist.

And that is why he thought an equation was forever and politics for the moment. imo

there was another minor jew probhet in the twentieth century, by the name of simong fraud.

mnaz

Post by mnaz » June 17th, 2007, 8:19 pm

Well, maybe I'm missing something here (probably), but it seems Einstein's letters to FDR, while somewhat ambiguous in motive, amounted more to "heads up" warnings more than anything else, I thought. Do you perhaps read them as advocating the use of fission to make bombs, or not speaking out strongly enough against that?

Einstein's later views seem to cover his general anti-nationalist, anti-war approach and stance pretty well in general, I think. Are you saying that he regrets not including these views in his letter(s) to FDR?

As far as the "equation is forever/politics of the moment" statement... one could read it as saying nature's awesome power, as described by science in equation form perhaps, is a permanent force to be reckoned with and worthy of our respect, and not to be hijacked by corrupt politics of the moment, at great peril to humanity overall. That's how I took it.

And yes... I suppose "prophet" is a word I toss around carelessly at times... just the cosmic insight/intuition thing in general, that's all....

Anywho...

Return to “Poetry”