pericope adulteræ

Post your poetry, any style.
joel

pericope adulteræ

Post by joel » February 4th, 2011, 2:41 pm

John 8:1-11, pericope adulteræ
an original translation in English verse from the Greek
(Nestle-Aland Novum Testamentum Græce 27)
[glosses not found in the Greek manuscripts in italics]
1But Jesus went against the olives’ mount,
2yet— earliest of mornings— turned again:
he came against the sanctuary mount
and all the people came to him and, in
the dust
, he sat and taught them. 3And they brought—
(the experts and the leaders did—) some wife
whose active infidelity’d been caught
and stood her in their midst to stand for life.
4They said to him, “O Teacher! This one here—
this woman— this we caught surprisingly
while wrapped in her adultery; 5and we’re
ordained to reign as rock on such as she—
by Moses, in the law— to stone to death.
So what are you ordaining with your breath?”

6And this they said attempting to indict
him, that their hands might hold him. But he turned
one finger down, upon the ground to write
7and— as they kept persisting, as they spurned
him for response— he rose aright, replied
to them, “Your sinless one is one to throw
a stone on her,”— 8and, turning down, applied
again to underwrite the earth. 9And so
accused, they all were fading— each in flight
behind his elder. Jesus— left alone
before the woman— 10rose aright, replied,
“Where are they, ma’am? Has no one thrown a stone?”
11She answered, “No one, sir.”— and Jesus, “Nor
do I condemn you; suffer sin no more.”
"Every genuinely religious person is a heretic, and therefore a revolutionary" -- GBShaw

stilltrucking

Re: pericope adulteræ

Post by stilltrucking » February 4th, 2011, 3:01 pm

"everybody must get stoned"

good story Joel
good poem

joel

Post by joel » February 4th, 2011, 3:05 pm

stilltrucking wrote:"everybody must get stoned"
touche, and well called...but someone else's stoning is no benefit to me. :wink:
that only works with the freedom to take up the cause for one's self.

peace!
"Every genuinely religious person is a heretic, and therefore a revolutionary" -- GBShaw

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » February 4th, 2011, 3:14 pm

I watched a woman with fresh burns on her hands give an interview to BBC on Departure Friday downtown Cairo. She was proud to be an Egyptian and for some reason I felt sad when I thought about Sharia Law and just how much difference there was between it and that old time religion of the Hebrew chidren

Yes Jesus Christ, what a man.

Peace indeed 8)

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » February 6th, 2011, 7:28 pm

Jesus Christ What A Man

I was quoting a song

Did Jesus save any man taken in adultery I wonder?

Hollweg

Post by Hollweg » February 6th, 2011, 7:45 pm

Abe said to God -- Where do you want this killin' done?
God said -- Out on Highway 61.

still.trucking

Post by still.trucking » February 6th, 2011, 8:44 pm

sorry if I hijacked your post.

I answered my own question about the man taken in adultery. I am such a heathen, I had to Google it.

Every time I drive by the Lutheran church in La Vernia I think of you. The sign out front says "We may all be in the same garden but we are not all eating t he same food"
"Natural selection, as it has operated in human history, favors not only the clever but the murderous." Barbara Ehrenreich

Free Rice

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » February 7th, 2011, 9:22 pm

This is why God gave you the gift of poetry and also the calling to be a minister.

Beautifully stunning writing!

I read it aloud in my head.

Hollweg

Post by Hollweg » February 8th, 2011, 1:14 am

Joel—

My earlier entry was flippant, and not worthy. I have an ambiguous relationship with God, to say the least. That said, I am a student of scripture. John, in my opinion, is the greatest of the gospels and, of course, the most unique of the four. And IMHO chapter 8 is the most intriguing and powerful of the book.

It is obviously an imposing task to translate scripture directly from the Greek (and must be wonderful to read it in the Greek). Translation is always difficult, particularly poetry, and I think scripture is poetry or, in the case of Paul’s letters, rhetoric. The translator has difficult choices as to how to capture the idiom of the source language. All the same, when paraphasing, there is something that is lost.

One of the intriguing aspects of your translation, then, is the appearance of words not seen in my standard reference for the Bible, the King James version (I don’t think any modern translation is nearly as beautiful), for example that he sat down “in the dust” and what Jesus is ordaining “with his breath.” “With his breath” looks to be a metaphrasing of the Greek, but we also see the origin of the idiom in a phrase like this. It is a fresh way to look at the act of speaking and therefore a fresh way to approach the meaning.

Where King James uses “Master,” you use “Teacher.” Master is one of those words with many shades, and it certainly includes the sense of teacher, such as a school-master. I would love to know the all the meanings of the original Greek word, and it is also no doubt influenced by context.

Much might be said about your work here. I always appreciate the opportunity to look at scripture in a new way, and I have a great appreciation for your post.
Last edited by Hollweg on February 9th, 2011, 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

still.trucking

Post by still.trucking » February 8th, 2011, 11:21 pm

Doreen wrote:
This is why God gave you the gift of poetry and also the calling to be a minister.

Beautifully stunning writing!

I read it aloud in my head.
My faith may be heretical, and my theology ironic but Joel brings poetry to the Christian Bible for me. I would be a hell of a lot more cynical than I am if not for his poetry.
'
"Natural selection, as it has operated in human history, favors not only the clever but the murderous." Barbara Ehrenreich

Free Rice

creativesoul

Post by creativesoul » February 9th, 2011, 3:36 am

jesus is just alright with me- doobie brothers
reason is over rated, as is logic and common sense-i much prefer the passions of a crazy old woman, cats and dogs and jungle foliage- tropic rain-and a defined sense of who brings the stars up at night and the sun up in the morning---

joel

Post by joel » February 9th, 2011, 4:39 pm

Hollweg wrote: One of the intriguing aspects of your translation, then, is the appearance of words not seen in my standard reference for the Bible, the King James version (I don’t think any modern translation is nearly as beautiful), for example that he sat down “in the dust” and what Jesus is ordaining “with his breath.” “With his breath” looks to be a metaphrasing of the Greek, but we also see the origin of the idiom in a phrase like this.
In seeking a poetically literal translation, I have certainly taken liberties and added words...but I've tried to only add that which is tucked into the text, sleeping hidden under the language and ink and pages. Thanks...it's been a fun excercise...might try more....

And to everyone else, thanks...very much, thanks.

Peace!

creativesoul

Post by creativesoul » February 9th, 2011, 10:00 pm

i think you are really gifted- latin is also a lovely language-
reason is over rated, as is logic and common sense-i much prefer the passions of a crazy old woman, cats and dogs and jungle foliage- tropic rain-and a defined sense of who brings the stars up at night and the sun up in the morning---

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » February 9th, 2011, 11:29 pm

a lesson on flexibility..! gracias for share it!!!!!!!! :)

creativesoul

Post by creativesoul » February 10th, 2011, 2:36 am

one of the things that is so mysterious about language is how many cultures had oral traditions and why? because I have seen it happen, someone will come to a sun dance, or sweat lodge- and pray about something and not get what they wanted, how they wanted etc- and became jr darth vaders-
so my heart tells me the subities of language require a bit of attention, in order to see them,the beautiful light filled spiritual side manned by Creator and many angels, we float between extremes-

Return to “Poetry”