Please Comment on the Works of Others

Post your poetry, any style.
Michael

Re: Commenting on the work of others

Post by Michael » June 23rd, 2012, 12:13 pm

I appreciate everybody's input concerning the feedback portion of my question.

j., I'll take your advice and let the chips fall where they may.

Ron, I appreciate your extended and in depth explanation of what different sites accept.

I started with Arcanum Café and, when people from AC broke off to start their own message boards, attempted to visit those as well. I write music and poetry, as many of you do, I’m an assistant editor and contributor at OpEdNews, I signed up with My Space and now Twitter and Facebook have hit the scene. I’m also married, have two dogs, four grown, out of the house kids and six grandchildren, the latest born on June 15, 2012. I don’t understand just sitting all day at a keyboard posting poetry and music at a couple of message boards, helping move the article queue along at OEN and writing articles for OEN, which I then share with other sites and a mailing list. I also eat and sleep, by the way (I know Doreen doesn’t always sleep - she’s younger than I am). I think I just described a 39 hour day.

Yet, when I write new songs or new poetry or an article, I don’t want them to remain in a vacuum. I like to publish them to know if I’m even in the ballpark as far as touching people with what I write. This is what leads to publishing my stuff but not commenting on the work of others.

And you’re right, j. When I comment on poetry or music, I like to let the authors know that I notice their poetic abilities as well as the subject matter of the piece. I’ve noticed people go way out of their way to use poetic tools and receive comments like, “Yeah, seeing a dead frog makes me sad, too.”

The other part of my question: Does everything written at Studio 8 have to be centered on the page? I’m not really new to formatting at sites like this, I know BB Code from AC and here and I know some HTML and I can’t find a way to, say, justify what I write left or right. Can someone help with that?

To friendship,
Michael

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » June 23rd, 2012, 9:55 pm

i've never centered anything at studio 8 so it can't be the default. strange that you're being formatted against your will.

no need for code unless you're asking for the 'full editor' version of a reply. right now i'm simply typing into the 'quick reply' box - no fancy stuff and no sudden centering.

strange

Michael

Post by Michael » June 24th, 2012, 10:46 am

Are you saying that I'm the only person who's seeing everything centered? Everything I look at at Studio8 is centered.

I see a "center" tool to the right of the "font colour" tool, but I've not clicked on it. Everything that is written at Studio8 is centered. Even the FAQs.

I'd say it was a setting on my computer except Studio 8 is the only place where this is happening.

Michael

Post by Michael » June 24th, 2012, 10:47 am

OK, here's the quick reply. I'll see if this, too, is centered.

Michael

Post by Michael » June 24th, 2012, 10:48 am

Yep, even the quick reply is centered for me. Is there some control here at Studio 8 that I'm not aware of?

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » June 24th, 2012, 12:02 pm

well, maybe we are just very centered people, who knows! :wink: (the centering thing bothered me at first, now it makes me wonder about the possibility of seeing poetry in everything...! :lol:). Bienvenido, Michael! :D

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » March 5th, 2013, 2:05 am

Michael wrote:Are you saying that I'm the only person who's seeing everything centered? Everything I look at at Studio8 is centered.

I see a "center" tool to the right of the "font colour" tool, but I've not clicked on it. Everything that is written at Studio8 is centered. Even the FAQs.

I'd say it was a setting on my computer except Studio 8 is the only place where this is happening.
The site text being "centered" was because you were using Internet Explorer, an obsolete web browser and a very dangerous one.

Our tech expert "fixed" it so the text is no longer centered for users who use Internet Explorer, however, I still strongly suggest you never use that browser again on any site on the internet.

IE invites malware to your computer, it isn't upgraded regularly by the web developers, and you are most likely viewing MANY other sites not as they were intentionally designed due to the inadequate web developers who don't give a crap about keeping IE up-to-date with current web protocols.

To read more about it, click this link where you will find several links with additional professional information about why using IE is NOT a wise idea. You will also find links to install other SAFE and RELIABLE browsers which will work well for you and which are FREE, all of which will never render sites differently then they were originally designed and will not invite malware and viruses into your computer like Internet Explorer will.

CLICK THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
http://studioeight.tv/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=25281

NEVER USE INTERNET EXPLORER ON ANY SITE ON THE INTERNET TO BE SAFE.

Thank you.

RonPrice

Post by RonPrice » May 6th, 2013, 4:00 am

This thread has come into my inbox several times now. I think I'll comment on the subject matter of "commenting on the work of others" from a different perspective. I'll post a link to an essay I wrote on: "feedback I've received in relation to my writing from 1953 to 2013."

Go to this link if you have the interest: http://www.shadowedrealm.com/medieval-f ... ices-blog/
married for 46 years, a teacher for 35, a writer and editor for 14 and a Baha'i for 54(as of 2013)

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » May 6th, 2013, 9:52 pm

RonPrice wrote:This thread has come into my inbox several times now. I think I'll comment on the subject matter of "commenting on the work of others" from a different perspective. I'll post a link to an essay I wrote on: "feedback I've received in relation to my writing from 1953 to 2013."

Go to this link if you have the interest: http://www.shadowedrealm.com/medieval-f ... ices-blog/
If the "thread has come into your inbox" it's because you're subscribed to it. If you'd like the email notifications to stop, UNclick the "Notify me when a reply is posted" box below the comment box when you comment.

Thanks for the link.

RonPrice

Post by RonPrice » May 6th, 2013, 10:14 pm

Thanks, Doreen, for your response. I get some 200 emails every day, but the ones from this site I am happy not to delete. The photography of your site is something I have grown to appreciate, as well as some of the discussion over the years. So, for now, I'm happy to have threads from this site "to come into my inbox" as they have been doing for some years now.
married for 46 years, a teacher for 35, a writer and editor for 14 and a Baha'i for 54(as of 2013)

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » May 6th, 2013, 11:12 pm

Ok, terrific! Sounds like you're subscribed to all the threads you've posted in site-wide. Just an FYI ... if you ever want to change that... log-in then go to the User Control Panel at the top left of the page. Click on Edit Posting Defaults, left column. Then click NO for "Notify me upon replies by default".

Glad you like the artwork and photography and conversations! Thanks for being here and for your participation!

:)

creativesoul

Re: Please Comment on the Works of Others

Post by creativesoul » June 4th, 2015, 11:56 am

Good day mates- oh did you hear the clunk
Of my heart- cashew milk and coffee
Trying to work it all out before I die
The tears
The whole thing
I saw it all in lodge
reason is over rated, as is logic and common sense-i much prefer the passions of a crazy old woman, cats and dogs and jungle foliage- tropic rain-and a defined sense of who brings the stars up at night and the sun up in the morning---

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » November 23rd, 2015, 2:16 pm

I hope the message doesn't get lost. Thanks to all who are participating by replying to the works of others. If you aren't participating, please start replying to others more often. That's what makes a community. Appreciated. :)

WIREMAN

Post by WIREMAN » November 23rd, 2015, 6:36 pm

I second that thought Doreen....sure does make for some interesting conversations :D
me I feel like I'm becoming some kinda Kung fu t.v. Priest.....

justwalt
Location: location infers reality... reality is still a theory

Post by justwalt » November 23rd, 2015, 9:05 pm

oh great, what's next... commenting on the comenter's comment?
smile
many is a word

Return to “Poetry”