Dancing With the Stars--The Presidential Debates

Commentary by Lightning Rod - RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » October 23rd, 2007, 4:55 pm

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F_MDGGXoadA&re ... ram><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F_MDGGXoadA&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

for release 10-23-07
Washington DC
by Lightning Rod

I would like to tell you that The Poet's Eye hasn't been commenting on the ongoing and interminable presidential debates because I am 'above the fray.' But that wouldn't be true. I have suspended comment on this subject because it's such a crashing bore.

Dancing with the Stars is much better reality TV than watching the presidential debates where a dozen suits stand behind podiums to answer inane questions and deliver what they hope will turn into sound bites. It's pathetic, really, that our political process has been reduced to this.

The Lincoln-Douglas debates held in 1858 were the prototype of public political debates in this country.

Contrasted to the Lincoln-Douglas debate, the cable news version of a political debate is almost laughable. No, it IS laughable. In our modern debates, each contender has a few minutes at most to present not only him/her self, but also to present their political ideas.

In the Lincoln-Douglas debates, this was the format: one candidate spoke for an hour, then the other candidate spoke for an hour and a half, and then the first candidate was allowed a half hour rejoinder. The candidates alternated speaking first. People brought picnic lunches to listen to these debates. It was an all day affair to listen to a potential leader expressing his ideas. But we live in the age of sound bites, not sound ideas.

Last election I proposed that the American Idol model would be a better way to handle our elections. It would neutralize all of that hanging chad and voting machine fraud nonsense. Let the people vote by text message as many times as they are willing to pay. Eliminate one candidate per week.

But I think that the Dancing With the Stars model would be much more apropos to this election. We have progressed culturally and politically in four years. The reality shows are better. The political Special Forces units like Swift Boat and MoveOn have gotten more sophisticated. It's a different world in politics and reality TV.

The concept of Dancing With the Stars is brilliant. We should write it into the Constitution. You pair one professional dancer (like someone who actually knows what they are doing) with a billionaire or an aging actress or a country singer or a model who is already famous or rich. Why hasn't the tired world of politics snapped to this politically provocative format?

The Poet's Eye can just see it now. First you get an inconsequential but bombastic host like Tucker Carlson or Glenn Beck. Then you pair the famous faces with the real political pros like lobbyists and call girls and Karl Rove.

I can see Karl Rove dancing cheek to cheek with John McCain, or Heidi Fleiss doing a Rhumba with Mike Huckabee. We're talking real entertainment here, folks.

Of course Hilliary already has her partner who is such a pro that he can talk his way out of an Oval Office blow job and still be standing in line behind Al Gore for a Nobel Prize. Now, that's dancing!

Can we picture Ann Coulter doing the Tango with Fred Thompson? How about Arianna Huffington cutting the rug with Mitt Romney? Oprah hip-hopping with Obama? I'll bet Valerie Plame could make Jonathan Edwards look good. How much more entertaining would that be than the stiffs behind lecterns that we are having to endure?

If the ordeal of these debates and the subsequent primaries followed by the (yawn) conventions, is to go on for months, it might as well be entertaining. I say, 'Let's Dance.'

You can dance around the issues, give 'em the old song and dance or do the chicken dance. You can do the square dance or the party line dance. But it's all a dance.

The Poet's Eye envisions guest performances. Like one by Sen. Craig and Alberto Gonzales. It's a tap dance. Or you could call it an entrapment dance. The set consists of two toilet stalls. They do the old soft shoe tapping each other under the stall to the tune of Tea For Two. The finale is two toilets flushing and the handcuffs snapping on.

If the political processes which address the real questions that we face in our lives, such as peace and healthcare and survival are to be melded with the world of entertainment, then let's do it right. Let's Dance!

I want my arms about you
That (those) charm(s) about you
Will carry me through...
(right up) to heaven, I’m in heaven
And my heart beats so that I can hardly speak
And I seem to find the happiness I seek
When we’re out together dancing, out together dancing (swinging)
Out together dancing cheek to cheek
--Ella Fitzgerald version
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » October 25th, 2007, 8:11 am

Let's do it
Let's dance

:) :D

good eye clay
thank you

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » October 25th, 2007, 10:19 am

Damn me
I got to say it
that bit about
a dozen suits
One of the democratic debates
they had one shot of candidates from a camera in back of them.
They were all wearing suits, well one of them was wearing a pant suit

They say a voter's final decision is based on a first impression, the first second or two.

I think I know who I am going to vote for
the one with the best tush.

Let the people vote by text message as many times as they are willing to pay.
I always liked the H L Hunt model for elections
The more taxes you pay the more votes you get
Kind of like the system we have now

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » October 25th, 2007, 9:59 pm

HL Hunt was one of the world's first billionaires
he used to take his lunch to work in a paper bag--peanut butter and jelly
he was thrifty. And his politics....well, they were his politics.

I used to score smack not 200 yards from his mansion on White Rock Lake in Dallas. It seems that Texas has a tradition of very rich eccentrics (eccentrics are what you call people with money. If they don't have any money, they are just nuts)--Hunt, Ross Perot, the Bass brothers, Howard Hughes and Mark Cuban to name a few (oh yeah there's Anna Nicole and her geriatric husband too, both from Texas)
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » October 28th, 2007, 6:18 am

We are accelarating too fast these days when it come to politics!!!! Let's ease off on the gas pedal and slow down a bit!!!!

Return to “The Poet's Eye by Lightning Rod”