Where Do You Draw the Line?

Commentary by Lightning Rod - RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » January 31st, 2007, 3:14 pm

for release 01-31-07
Washington DC

As many of you know, my pet cause as a poet is the issue of Body Sovereignty. This subject touches many more subjects--reproductive rights, abortion, drugs and substances, urine and DNA testing, stem cell research, organ donation (or sale), right to die, healthcare, imprisonment, military service etc. Body Sovereignty is also concerned with rape. I don't know if rape is the most egregious example of assault on Body Sovereignty, but I know that it is a symbolic and significant one.

Most rapes don't happen when some wild-eyed, sex-crazed maniac jumps out of the bushes in a ski mask and puts a knife to the throat of his victim. No, most rapes are much more intimate affairs. Most rapes are committed by acquaintances of the victim. In nearly seventy percent of rapes the victim knew the rapist. Nearly a third of victims are raped by their husbands or boyfriends.

Where does mutual attraction become seduction? When does seduction become persuasion? When does persuasion become coercion? When does coercion become brute force? When does yes become maybe and maybe become NO? There are some very blurry lines here. Rape has many meanings. That's why it's so hard to litigate rape cases. What's the difference between force and implied force or threatened force? Does size matter?

The two recent examples that come to mind are the Kobe Bryant and the Duke University Lacrosse Team rape cases. Both were glamorous because they involved bimbos and athletes whose testosterone level is well advertised. I wasn't at either event, so I don't know the absolute facts, but from the copious news coverage of both cases, these are my observations. In both the Bryant and the Duke cases, young women, seeking monetary gain, consented to place their bodies in a situation where it looked like they were inviting sex. I don't know if sex occurred in either case, that's a matter of conjecture. I don't know who was pinned down at the critical moment or who was too trashed to resist or even remember what happened. The definition of rape is a subtle affair.

I've been raped several times. Luckily it's never been by a man. Yes, rape can work both ways. What does rape mean? It means that you are being made to perform sex against your will. That's why you can't rape the willing. Usually when a woman rapes a man, the coercion or the brute force is of a more intricate nature than when a man rapes a woman. A woman can exert brute force on a man without lifting a finger. In fact, she can exert more brute force when she DOESN'T lift a finger. She just lets her lawyers do it.

Rape is all around us. Every time you drive by the gas pump you get raped, every time you swipe that credit card you get raped. The sales tax and the lottery are raping you every time you wear fishnet hose and go to the Seven-Eleven. Every time you buy an article of clothing or a household device at Walmart, you are raping some young Chinese girl. She works in a factory. This is what is called statutory rape, sex with someone under the age of consent. But there is no age of consent in China. In China (or in America where The Decider is deciding) you are never old enough to decide for yourself. Yes, rape is a tricky subject. Very political.

The Poet's Eye sees that nobody who subscribes to the principles of Body Sovereignty could ever be a rapist. Not in good conscience anyway.
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

Ann Bingham

Post by Ann Bingham » February 6th, 2007, 6:03 pm

It is surprising to me that no one has read this and it's been here how long?

You touch on this subject very lightly....not your usual style. Perhaps you should touch on the more appalling aspect of rape...the unthinkable aspect of it. At any rate.

In the instances you have brought up I'm sorry but I do feel the ladies put themselves into a situation of which they lost control. Please...is it not every girls dream to have sex with someone popular and in the spot light. This angers me for the simple fact it diminishes the actual act of rape on the common female sex (and yes men as well). Kind of gives the impression that all women put themselves in that situation which is not the case. And yes women get raped by those close to them....and we're not just taking boyfriends or husbands. How bout the uncles, the brothers, the grandfathers....etc? And lets not over look the son who is raped by the mother so she can replace that long lost husband...gee I wonder why he left? Could it be that she was nuts or something.

As for the political aspect.....please feels so good to go put gas in my car, I always enjoy it up the ass....just like everyone else. and this is an election year too.

Think I've said to much. Enjoy reading you when I do come visit LRod. It may take me a while sometimes. And boy you sure know what sets me off. lol.

mnaz

Post by mnaz » February 9th, 2007, 5:35 pm

Well, that's easy.

At "no", of course.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » February 9th, 2007, 6:54 pm

mnaz wrote:Well, that's easy.

At "no", of course.
Thank you, mnaz.

Well said.

Artguy