“Lars and the Real Girl' (sex toys are people too)

Discuss books & films.
stilltrucking

“Lars and the Real Girl' (sex toys are people too)

Post by stilltrucking » June 15th, 2008, 4:01 pm

I will probably never got to see the movie but I loved the review
‘Lars’: sex toys are people, too

“Lars and the Real Girl” uses fantasy to persuade viewers to reassess reality — even if the lead is a sex doll. Director Craig Gillespie feeds the Indie viewer with quirky scenarios that perfectly compliment comedy and tragedy, making “Lars” worth the gimmick.

Lars (Ryan Gosling), a peculiar, socially stunted loner, can barely speak to the people he works with and bristles if accidentally touched. When his cubicle mate at work shows him a Web site to buy sex toys, Lars secretly orders a life-size (anatomically correct) doll. He announces to his brother (Paul Schneider) and sister-in-law (Emily Mortimer) that he has a date. Although she can’t walk (she’s “handicapped”) or speak (she’s “foreign”), Bianca will join them for dinner as Gus and Karin watch incredulously.

Gus and Karin desperately want to cure Lars’ delusion and resolve to take him to the local psychologist/doctor (Patricia Clarkson). Sweet and understanding, Dr. Dagmar explains this “delusion” will only go away when Lars wants it to, and prescribes a full-fledged acceptance of Bianca into their lives. Reluctantly, Gus and Karin accept their mission to miraculously inspire their Midwestern community to indulge in Lars’ insanity.

the rest of the review here

Jacob

Post by Jacob » June 16th, 2008, 1:29 pm

Saw the movie, and as my brother felt about the movie, the advertising for the movie was a little false, because the feel of it was more dark than light hearted, even though it was cute at times. An enjoyable movie all the same, even though watching people feel for a rubber doll was a little awkward.

gypsyjoker

Post by gypsyjoker » June 16th, 2008, 3:08 pm

I think I wrote my own movie based on the review. I don't plan on seeing it. It just seemed like a funny premise.
Free Rice
Avatar Courtesy of the Baron de Hirsch Fund

'Blessed is he who was not born, Or he, who having been born, has died. But as for us who live, woe unto us, Because we see the afflictions of Zion, And what has befallen Jerusalem." Pseudepigrapha

Jacob

Post by Jacob » June 22nd, 2008, 1:52 pm

gypsyjoker wrote:I think I wrote my own movie based on the review. I don't plan on seeing it. It just seemed like a funny premise.
Funny you should say that, because I suppose it reminds me of another story I made (am making?) as well. Very curious. :D

gypsyjoker

Post by gypsyjoker » June 22nd, 2008, 4:08 pm

I would be interested to see it. Are you a student of film? There was someone here last year who was an aspiring film maker.

http://www.studioeight.tv/phpbb/viewtop ... light=film
Free Rice

'Blessed is he who was not born, Or he, who having been born, has died. But as for us who live, woe unto us, Because we see the afflictions of Zion, And what has befallen Jerusalem." Pseudepigrapha

Jacob

Post by Jacob » July 3rd, 2008, 12:58 pm

gypsyjoker wrote:I would be interested to see it. Are you a student of film? There was someone here last year who was an aspiring film maker.

http://www.studioeight.tv/phpbb/viewtop ... light=film
Not a student, though I try to work with what I can in terms of film. :wink: Will be sure to check in on the other guy you're mentioning, because I've been wanting to work with others on film projects.

gypsyjoker

Post by gypsyjoker » July 4th, 2008, 1:00 am

Weimar and German expressionism an obsession of mine. I came out of an exhibit in Washington DC trying to hold back tears.

"Please do not belittle my camera man, he did go to college for the camera work, all eight years of it." :D

thanks for posting
Free Rice

Jacob

Post by Jacob » July 12th, 2008, 6:24 am

gypsyjoker wrote:"Please do not belittle my camera man, he did go to college for the camera work, all eight years of it." :D
You are the first person outside of friends and family to quote a line from my movie. Thank you. :D

Return to “Literature & Film”