Zuihitsu

(...)

Moderator: the mingo

the mingo

Re: Zuihitsu

Post by the mingo » March 25th, 2017, 8:37 am

Zuihitsu - best info I can find, Jack, is that Zuihitsu as a form entered Japanese literature about 1000 A.D. with Sei Shonagon's The Pillow Book - yeah, first one recognized & written as such was written by a woman - it continued to be practiced by one writer or another since then but you're right about the 17th century being a time when a whole bunch of writers decided zuihitsu was hot shit and away they went -

I agree with ya with whole heart about being a student of zuihitsu for the whatever time is left to us -

Ya know, the artlogs you and I and others too, the running columns we have been packing stuff into day after day for years here, without us realizing it, are zuihitsu.

We're veterans. Wireman too with his Go! jam - that too, zuihitsu -

I been using the emdash ( - ) ever since I read Kerouac's guidelines for spontaneous prose - he was right, it keeps things moving -

I've never held down the alt-key and typed 0151 - think I'll leave well enough alone there -

Alan Sherman - of Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah fame ?
Doll, you may have found a place of rest but I'm still on the trail.

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » March 25th, 2017, 10:02 am

I found this some weeks ago:

https://poetryschool.com/new-courses/fo ... su-poetry/

veterans reconnecting
begginner´s mind way
(if that can be titled as a life purpose... :lol: :lol: )

the mingo

Post by the mingo » March 25th, 2017, 11:59 am

Thanks, Veronica, for that - that article did not come up when I was looking for history/information on zuihitsu several months ago - interesting read too since it was a writer from outside Japan and her experience with the form. Just like me ( a gringo ! 8) )

Thank you thank you 8)

the mingo

Post by the mingo » March 25th, 2017, 12:52 pm

At the end of March winter snow turns to rain rain RAIN - godblam it ! When folks speak of winter they never include the month and a half long transition going into winter in the autumn or the month and a half transition coming out of winter on the other end - they only count the three months or so of freeze and snow ... that kind of blind thinking pisses me off. For me here on Tug Hill Plateau winter takes up most of half a year -

The only Marvel comic book character that ever excited my imagination was when Ghost Rider was released in the '60's - the two movies put out based on that character didn't cut it at all - not even close except for a moment or two here & there - no exploration of character at all, no expansion imaginative or otherwise - nothing NOTHING - nobody showed any care whatsoever for the possibilities - just a money making scheme, as if Marvel didn't have enough coin, running short, ya know - assholes - been up to me, and I'm not the world's biggest fan of Nietzsche, I would have turned that whole enterprise over to him to produce and write and direct - give that high-powered thought of his something to do besides sit around resident of insane asylums whining & bitching 'bout God - and I betcha it would have been something to see - The Devil and his demons, human trash in the form of bad guys and poor ol' Johnny B. and his righteous heart caught up in the machinations of all that - Hell yeah, tales fit for the campfires of the Mongolian Horde -

Whatever happened to the name Betty ? or Carol ? or June ? or Brenda, Joyce, Diane, Linda, Joan, Sharon, Ellen, Beverly, ??? - I used to tell myself I was getting old, don't tell myself that anymore because, hell, I'm there -

It was time
that killed the mills -
- nothing else -
time passes as we do things like putting milk in our coffee, stirring it - seconds, minutes, hours, all gone ...

I'm outta here

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » March 26th, 2017, 12:14 am

Been studying my keyboard the stuff that is not there, that I have to type code to see.
No — key, no ¢ key

Going to join the church of the good html one day
they got programs, algorithms to make us all write like Walker Percy. Don't have to sweat the small stuff like careful writing. I been a language criminal since I been on the net, 17 years to date, spent the first 15 or 16 scribbling. But finally took pity on my readers and decided to clean up my act. But sometimes I got a headache reading what I wrote.

I am falling behind you, a page behind, I been printing them out to read them on the printed page, the one about the journal i have not had a chance to read at leisure. Not much leisure sitting at this computer screen more like work except for the jams, lordy Lordy LORDY, I live
for them
for a moment or two here & there
have not read the books but like the movie a lot. I have seen it a few times, next time I watch it I will see it in a new light. Can't say I am a fan of Nitzke either but the first time I tripped I read one of his books. and his words got acid etched on my brain. Everybody was have cosmic visions but I was reading The Birth of Tragedy and the words on the page kept morphing into thick black worms, like I was the girl in the Bell Jar trying to read James Joyce when she was crazy. I persisted— I followed the words from left to right as they crawled across the page and tumbled to the floor. Yes Nitzke died for my sins. Not to beat a dead horse.

you remember Ray Nitzke, great linebacker for the Green Bay Packers.

Don't think I could survive another Yankee winter,
I can take the heat better than the cold
I think would rather rent out hell and live in Texas, no matter what that Yankee General said.

about that time to endit
oh one more thing
about them demons
I got hordes of them stalking me,
I am talking advertising here
no matter where I go except studio eight I am inundated with adds
temptations to buy all kinds of neat stuff
because of the thrill it will get me when I buy
Oh yes lucky strike means fine tobacco sold American

okay this is it this is really it I am not even going to finish typing this line>>> submit
Last edited by stilltrucking on March 26th, 2017, 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WIREMAN

Post by WIREMAN » March 26th, 2017, 2:31 pm

double fisted....iPad & a smart phone ..company gave me one now, unleashed pow-wow.....getting the phone thang....but I'll drop it in an instant for some good conversation ........been on the trail of Van Gogh forgeries today...sunflowers in Japan apparently bogus, but they want it, no matter if it's fake, Vincent's big business in Japan.....

basho's frog croaks
hail and thunderstorms
citizens need not worry

funky music at jojos today....giving the classic rock a Sunday off......golf silently on the tube.....power gettin low on iPad......gettin ready for smart phone, but that keypads awful small :lol: ......changing over to screwdrivers from bloodies....diggin homer last night, not Simpson .....hard to believe that epic was written 3,000 years ago....talkin golf with Will the bartender just now, that was in another life for me......I'm. wired now, the way I want it 8)
me I feel like I'm becoming some kinda Kung fu t.v. Priest.....

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » March 26th, 2017, 5:36 pm

Yes that is him schtick went looking for something completely mindless to overcome my blinding thoughts
There is a strong sense in zuihitsu writing that the creation of order depends on disorder. Zuihitsu demands as its starting point, juxtapositions, fragments, contradictions, random materials and pieces of varying lengths. I like this. This, it seems to me, is also how most things in life are, how people are, how thinking is, how poetry should

Under Miscellaneous she tells us ‘There is nothing in the whole world so painful as feeling one is not liked’.

https://poetryschool.com/new-courses/fo ... su-poetry/
Schtick
Jacked in, feeling wired into the flow of the cursor not as intimate as a brush I suppose but
it works for me.

With all my gizmos there is not that sensual pleasure of reading words on paper
I love my laser printer
watching a movie that I love but have never seen before "Tonto and Me" commercial came on from public space storage
a space for my stuff
was time when everything I owned would fit in the boot of an automobile, last time that was about forty years ago, and the car when if was running I called it a SAAB and when it was not it was a sob. Horse power and horses, it was horses killed Nietzsche that pushed him off the edge of his mind.

the sleep of the just tonight
just because I rode 15 miles today
if I ever get to make a movie
it will be a cowboy movie where the cowboys are riding bicycles instead of horses, and they kissed their bikes and rode off into the sunset
late afternoon sunlight half hour to sunset I ride this line into the dark side of the evening...

the mingo

Post by the mingo » March 27th, 2017, 10:32 am

Wireman & stilltrucking - a heartfelt Thx for the contributions 8)

the mingo

Post by the mingo » March 27th, 2017, 10:38 am

"The bicycle, the bicycle surely, should always be the vehicle of novelists and poets."
- Christopher Morley -

I just loves a bicycle. You're saddled up and rolling down some back road your thoughts your own and an Amish girl sitting alone in a wagon in her father's yard & seeing you coming stands up straight so you can't miss her, her arm stretched straight up as high as she can over her head you can't miss her and she waves to you every inch of her body covered by clothing except for her face and hands and that woven cap covering her head where you see a flash of blonde hair at the edge of it and the momentary full-on eroticism of that moment to be left forever after in your memory -

- - getting to the train crossing just before the train does and stopping to watch the train roll by every car covered in graffiti from all over the country - art show for free without all the pretentious talk and you free to pop the stopper on your tea and hear both wind & birds & dogs barking simultaneously as you take it all in -

- - drifting around the firehouse parking lot doing figure 8's and wheelies & tricks - getting home just as the rain lets loose in a downpour, laughing with God - traveling a city street and catching the synchronized traffic lights one after the other green-green-green go & go & go riding that wave half a mile all the way to the river -

- - having a dog rush you so fast he can't stop the collision last thing you remember, when you come back to consciousness you are face first in the dirt, cut and bleeding from a score of places, can't remember your name, find you can stand up - right your bike which has one pedal crank bent inwards from the collision - no one around, no dog in sight - don't know how long you've been passed out, think you know the way home after a while so you mount back up and off you go bent crank and all -

- - passing over a stream hearing the water talking as it makes it way among the rocks heading to the sea -

- - cursing the steep hill that finally forces you to walk pushing the damn bike & you wonder wtf but when you get to the top and see the descent ahead you mount up and away ! the spokes on your wheels beginning to sound like turbines cutting the air and you round a curve so fast canted over at an impossible angle trying to hold it all together having promised yourself not to touch the brakes and surprising a motorist by exploding into his view and him swearing and flashing you the finger and in that moment suddenly remembering why you came ...

why you sit on top of steel tubes connected to wheels & sprockets & everything round & handlebars to hold onto and why you will continue to do so until God says it's time to go home, rider, time to go home -

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » March 27th, 2017, 10:48 pm

(wow)

the mingo

Post by the mingo » March 28th, 2017, 6:03 am

Thx, judih - 8)

boy, barefoot, net in hand,
arms stretched out, finding balances,
stepping from wet rock to wet rock

the mingo

Post by the mingo » March 28th, 2017, 11:26 am

Still got snow but the last three days warmer temps have beaten it back into the woods - broke out a couple of my bikes yesterday just for some short rolling to see how everything is working - the bikes seem fine but my body needs work - no regular riding since early December -

spirit willing - flesh weak, or unused is more like it - just want to hit the road been-shitting-feathers-for-a-week over this shit - 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLPtzAIoylI

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » March 28th, 2017, 12:08 pm

February still of winter for you
Spring breaking out for me
Today like a day in paradise
if there is weather in heaven

don't know what kind of shape I am in
still can ride a couple a days a week
work almost full time sitting at a desk
and when I am off I am sitting at this desk
writing Zuihitsu maybe

spirits are low
strangers had forced him to live in his head
so got to write till I drop, ride tomorrow :D

the mingo

Post by the mingo » March 30th, 2017, 9:07 am

The president's daughter is going to become a federal employee - handed to her - sweet girl - an office in the West Wing - I'm a Vietnam vet, I have no memory of anyone at anytime handing me a federal job because of who I was or knew - my grapes ain't sour, just unnoticed - my anus must have a sign on it that says "Accommodating - Enter here" in 4 inch high letters -

Remember letters ? Those things people wrote to each other and put in envelopes and mailed to their destinations -

Destination ? somewhere down the line ...

The line, the road, the way forward - you can sing about that shit all day long -
George Corley Wallace saying, "The chickens have come home to roost" -

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » March 30th, 2017, 1:00 pm

I used to love writing letters, a lost treasure now.

U.S. War Footprint Grows, With No Endgame in Sight NYTIMES
I am a four f hippie conscientious objector
Amazing how many of our recent presidents have been unfit for military service. Strange days when draft dodgers can call John McCain a traitor :?
So much for politics, I have stopped reading the news. Now a days when I want to know what's happening I read Tacitus.
No kidding it's like reading the front page of a twenty first century news paper
One more thing, never heard Wallace say that, I went to a Wallace rally in 68 just to see what it was like. What I remember him saying is:
pussyfooting a lot of pussyfooting going on and he was going to stop it
and,
not a dimes worth of difference between the democrats and the republicans

What i remember about the chickens is Malcolm X after Diem was murdered and then a few months later JFK was gunned down. Malcolm was a good man, converted to the true Islam before his death. not trash talk that was the nation of islam.

speaking of anuses I am talking out of mine
lots of opinions not fact checked just bits and pieces from my lived experience. Trying to get my head out of my ass, do you know why truck drivers have their name written on the back of their cowboy belts?

"As for the rest of life - so--called "experience" - who among us is serious enough for, that? Or, has time enough? Ray Nitzke

want to say god dam those commas they going to be the death of me
I think about you reading this and I think he is just as good a reader as he is a writer, so I throw in a comma here and there, just to be perverse :)

Has the weather broke yet?

Return to “Mingo's Lingo”