Silence

Prose, including snippets (mini-memoirs).
mnaz

Silence

Post by mnaz » June 14th, 2007, 5:57 am

Ambrose Bierce, in his sardonic Devil's Dictionary column circa 1882, once defined philosophy as "a route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing"... akin to 140's sage wanderlust out from Winnemucca; that blessed, self-generated thread stretched into a virtual scrub universe or several, parallel to a bleached yellow dash. Indeed, I hunted philosophy there in the early days but settled on the land, which is beautifully intractable, vaguely blissful, threatening and quiet... sometimes silent.

Quiet exists even deep in the city, set to whir of appliance or rhythmic wash of nearby thoroughfare, but silence is uncompromised. On a two-track rut from a another one from a ranch road at the end of a thick, bright dust plume lies Flook Lake playa in upper nether Oregon. When I tried it, pronghorn antelope raced me out of boredom, and it was there I became aware of a noise problem. Steens Mountain and its July snow cap sat unaware some sixty miles east of ringing ears, and I was no match for silence, given past sins. Perhaps the playa would show mercy and return the wind.

I never imagined a peace so tinged in witness... better to focus on its visual: inexhaustible horizon. Dry air will be along to stir sheets of heat and drown out skull bound noise. In time. I'm not fit to hear silence, but I might catch a moment in the flow, or a still eye amidst perpetual wind scour on open rock that seems too exposed or indeterminate to entertain stillness, except by the moment, wherein open scale is more open to suggestion. Witness Death Valley from Chloride cliff; the realm's first mining camp, though obscure. Nothing is known of James McKay, whose grave lies in a fold beneath a ridge from which views are just as spectacularly unknown.

When I tried it I saw a salt streaked underworld, and the view shrank as wind ceased, which is rare in springtime. Wind's ceaseless roar might have enforced the scale of it from a naked mountaintop but wind was quiet; spared silence only by temporary roar of breathing. Each ledge fell to ten others, and I wondered why that naked mountaintop was calm. Chocolate salt flowed around dark chocolate flecks, close at hand and terminally distant, and lazy, marbled slopes fell into an indeterminate matrix of pause in a land of plenty.

view from Chloride cliff... out of range...
Last edited by mnaz on June 16th, 2007, 1:59 am, edited 8 times in total.

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » June 14th, 2007, 11:31 am

great ride, mark
thank you
I needed that this morning
some space and some silence
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » June 14th, 2007, 12:43 pm

beautiful text and photo!!

mnaz

Post by mnaz » June 14th, 2007, 1:17 pm

I think I may finally be ready to put down the pencil on this wandering memoir of mine... but then, I've thought that for quite awhile now...

Anyway, it was not a bad road to take... that one from nothing to nowhere.

Thanks L Rod and Arcadia. Appreciate.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » June 15th, 2007, 1:27 pm

as always, mnaz, a damn fine read. your words have plenty of that silence you write of between each well-placed word.

mnaz

Post by mnaz » June 16th, 2007, 10:49 pm

Thank you, Cecil.

...silence between words, if I could get to such a place, or thought.

But then, as J. Campbell noted: where am I between thoughts?

Still working the case.

Silence gets stretched out in so many directions.

joel

Post by joel » June 16th, 2007, 11:48 pm

This is fine writing, even if it leaves me (perhaps because it leaves me) trying to decide if it is the most comforting devotional writing I've ever encountered or if it is the most spirit-questioning horrow I've ever come across. There is something about silence I cannot accept as good--though I want to, because I know the whole thing is based on my own trust issues. How can there be silence in a reality where so much needs to be said and where so much is screaming unsilently for recognition and restitution? If I'm silent--or anyone else for that matter--who will or what will point out the problems? Would the problems just go away, from nothing to nowhere? I don't know...and I'm scared, but I'm also more envious than I can express...especially spending this summer lost in the Shenandoah Valley with every opportunity for silence, though it's silence I continually interupt.
"Every genuinely religious person is a heretic, and therefore a revolutionary" -- GBShaw

mnaz

Post by mnaz » June 17th, 2007, 2:28 am

Silence isn't as comfortable as it seemed... it fairly screams at times.

Another view, looking westerly...

Return to “Stories & Essays”