Hola Dali

Prose, including snippets (mini-memoirs).
sooZen

Hola Dali

Post by sooZen » October 29th, 2007, 6:24 am

a bit of fluffy stuff from my journal about my Sunday jaunt up the Rio Grande valley. You won't miss a thing if you don't look but I assure you, my aim is to entertain. It is the truth as perceived:

Took the entire day off Sunday to travel to Las Cruces and Old Mesilla, New Mexico for a few errands and to see the Sal Dali show at the Las Cruces Museum of Art. The company was great as we went with our buds B & S who are the other two members of our 4 member "Gustatory Society." A few highlights:

Beckers are great company, always a delight

weather was wonderful...I love the fall in the desert southwest and the light is amazing this time of the year, I even tried out C's camera...we'll see?

Cecil and Bob are seriously silly together which is always fun (Cecil needed that, seriously)
Shar and I are so much in tune and she makes me laugh

Day of the Dead altars and vendors on the Mesilla Plaza selling and showing dead stuff, coolie smoolie

Ate at the La Posta in Mesilla, Tacate on tap and the green enchiladas (with tomatillo sauce) are killer!
(Always eat where and what B & S suggest...you never go wrong)

Found some great bargains in harem pants for me at Del Sol and some Mexican stuff for my D of the D booth, amazing tissue paper cut-outs to hang across the booth

Hit up the co-op foods in LCNM but couldn't find the 'no smoking' stuff, found some other stuff...I hope it works.
I didn't buy any beads anywhere or make anything all day long!

Parked and walked the Las Cruces mall (not what you think...used be downtown and they banned cars and hold festivals, markets, etc all year long...great walk and great landscaping.)

Museum is at the end of the mall...Dali in Las Cruces...who would'a guessed? The small watercolors were his illustrations of Dante's great epics of heaven and hell...my impressions...boy, that Dali was a talented, tormented and twisted dude. My fave? The Fallen Angel...very detailed and the boxes coming out of her chest, abdomen, and vagina (it had a keyhole) stopped you in your tracks. Not something pleasant to look at but amazing never-the-less. I got the feeling that some he just slapped on paper because he must but others (such as the angel and some of the deadly sins) he really detailed with his unique style. They also had other artists illustrations of Dante's works, and a few lithos of R. Magritte which I really liked. Dali did have a way of portraying the horrors of war and hell that made you wince but understand that life isn't always pretty. Bones protruding from broken bodies were done with a style that burns into memory.

NOTE: Cec and I did have the opportunity to see a dealer gallery in Hilo, HA that represented Dali back in the 70's (Cec had won a trip to Hawaii!) It was before Dali's death and I have never forgot my impressions of his impressions. He hated the label "surrealist" much as heads of my generation hated "hippie." I did get to see some of his greats (including his tributes to his love Gala) and up close to those huge canvases and his paint was indelible. There were some very reasonable originals that I wish we could have afforded but we were always the scavengers and nothing there was free except the attention and talk of a great owner of the gallery, the free brochures and the opportunity to witness.

Then it was home on the back road through the pecan groves of Stallman Farms and the light flickering through the old trees that line the road, the rio valley and the Organ Mountain spires as a backdrop. A perfectly perfect day with the best of companions, ahhh... Now I am recently refreshed and inspired again.

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » October 29th, 2007, 12:26 pm

i'm happy too
i love the part about harem pants and good mexican.
a trip to hawaii! wow.
thnx, S.Z

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » October 29th, 2007, 12:55 pm

Now I am recently refreshed and inspired again.
that´s great, Soo!!!!!!
:D

sooZen

Post by sooZen » October 29th, 2007, 5:46 pm

ju...thank you dear friend...those pants are killer, a purple pair with a cream batik feather pattern and a dark blue pair with small batik fish skeletons in rainbow colors...is that cool or what? :P
Yeah...he won that trip by drawing out of a hat...I think it was a magic hat.

Arcadia...si! gracias mi amiga.

Artguy

Post by Artguy » November 11th, 2007, 3:24 pm

Dali in the desert...melting mesas...and cacti with clocks imbedded...ya I get it.....

WIREMAN

Post by WIREMAN » November 11th, 2007, 9:10 pm

great read sooz.....good to hear your writing voice again......wired

Return to “Stories & Essays”