YEAR.

Prose, including snippets (mini-memoirs).
dadio

YEAR.

Post by dadio » December 21st, 2010, 4:39 pm

It was the year John Kennedy had his head blow wide by some rogue elements of the government of the day or so your father said years later in one of his drunken stupors which became more frequent once he’d retired from the CIA and had his fill of the dirty tricks and he’d tell you never trust governments Yama they lie and kill and earlier about March your mother electrocuted herself in the asylum where she’d been for four years when her insanity got too bad for your father to cope with and she thought your brother Yaacov was one of her lovers and tried to get into bed with him on more than one occasion and he’d lay there still and scared and say nothing the sweat pouring from him as she covered him with kisses and such after which he always locked his door even when she’d been put away and years later when he married some girl from the Bronx she had to pound on the door for him to let her in and that made the marriage go out on a limb a few times when she thought he had some other broad in there with him when all he had was his pillow huddled tight to him murmuring prayers he knew from the Siddur and in the month of June some fruit in a dark suit trying to pass herself off as a guy made it with you although you knew pretty much the layout and not caring much or if you did it didn’t show and she had this thing about you being a Yid as she termed you and often she’d abuse you and take you around with her and she got you into the junk and have you laid out for days on end not knowing day or time and the bed became the island of self discovery and the nights spilled into days and when you got away from her you went to New York and when the heat got to leaning on you too much you hid low and found out your mother’d fried her brain and the memories of her early days haunted you with her nightly visits and soft words before the lucid hours darkened and her words became a mere spew of abuse and anger from her hands hit out at you until the bruises seeped into your skin like ink and she was locked away but still she haunted you at nights even after her death and the sparks had gone out and the sounds from your gramophone spilled out the voice of Lady Day that took you back to your mother singing as she laid her hand upon your brow as you drifted to sleep with her soft tones mixing with the sweet breath from her lips which later in your haunted dreams mouthed emptiness into the stark air.1
Attachments
jfk.jpg
Last edited by dadio on December 27th, 2010, 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dadio

Re: YEAR.

Post by dadio » December 22nd, 2010, 2:57 pm

What were you dong when JFK was killed? Maybe you weren't even born yet. I was working in a gas station aged 15 when I heard. sad day.

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » December 23rd, 2010, 12:44 am

ohmygod, dadio
what a write.
i have to sit back

it's easier to answer your question about jfk's assassination than to digest the tale you describe.

so - where was i on that jfk final day?
alas, i was sitting in my 6th grade classroom, when the janitor came in and made the announcement and rolled in a TV for us all to catch the news. It was unreal. A classroom of 60 kids in Toronto, Canada all speechless in front of that horrible scene.

dadio

Post by dadio » December 23rd, 2010, 3:34 am

Thank you, Judih. Yes, memorable day.

mnaz

Post by mnaz » December 23rd, 2010, 9:24 pm

I was but a wee one, but it does seem like the year things finally tilted sideways, as if two obscene world wars hadn't been enough. and now we holdin' on... tough history, tough write.

dadio

Post by dadio » December 24th, 2010, 9:25 am

Thank you mnaz.

tarbaby
Location: Oz, or someplace like Kansas, but mostly stilltrucking's vanity

Post by tarbaby » December 24th, 2010, 9:46 am

What were you dong when JFK was killed? Maybe you weren't even born yet. I was working in a gas station aged 15 when I heard. sad day.
I was two and twenty
and I was about to commit suicide by matricide

I heard it said that

"skepticism is the chastity of the intellect." Mae West

"But it's the truth even if it didn't happen" Ken Kesey
Pretty nice prose peace dadio.
Was it a tough write?
Last edited by tarbaby on December 24th, 2010, 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Where is that man who has forgotten words that I may have a word with him?”

dadio

Post by dadio » December 24th, 2010, 2:00 pm

Thank you. Not really a tough write but draining.

tarbaby

Post by tarbaby » December 24th, 2010, 2:57 pm

aged 15 when I heard. sad day
You are eighty five years old?

The bit about electrocuted mother brought Ethel Rosenberg to mind, I was 12 years old that summer.

The bit about getting into bed with her son reminded me of Allen Ginsburg.

It was draining to read.
But it was a good piece.

Thank you for the reply

tarbaby

Post by tarbaby » December 24th, 2010, 6:09 pm

Sorry I was thinking of someone else on studio eight who is 85. I was confused about the chronology of your story. I apologize if my remarks seemed insensitive. A sad story, a sad day. It was a day I cried.

dadio

Post by dadio » December 25th, 2010, 3:40 pm

I feel 85 some days. Lol. Thank you for reading & comments.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » December 26th, 2010, 2:23 pm

Thanks for writing

I never trust anybody over forty.

dadio

Post by dadio » December 26th, 2010, 3:39 pm

Thank you.

Return to “Stories & Essays”