Nap Time

Prose, including snippets (mini-memoirs).
sasha

Nap Time

Post by sasha » July 22nd, 2016, 2:30 pm

I don’t know why, but I’ve never been able to take a nap, even if I felt like I needed one. It’s like I can’t find my brain’s Off switch. Unless I’m sick and stoned out on cold medication, I just cannot sleep during daylight hours. That’s why I loathed working 3rd shift – my life consisted of only two things: Working and Trying to Sleep. Even when I was a kid. I remember an incident from kindergarten (ca 1955) that occurred during our scheduled naptime. Each of us was issued a little sleeping mat on which we were supposed to use for, oh, 15 or 20 minutes each day. Being disinclined to sleep, I found it more fun to run around pestering my classmates, at least until the teacher corralled me and banished me to the coatroom. I remember holding my mat up against the wall – not the floor – and sobbing into it in my shame. Oh, the humanity…

Today it’s hot and humid, and the combination of rising earlier than usual and being somewhat dehydrated as usual, has made me drowsy and lethargic. So I thought it might be worth the effort to lie down for a bit and try to nap. I headed into the bedroom, the dog ambling along behind me. I kicked off my shoes, lay down on the bed, and placed the extra pillow – the one I hug on cold nights for warmth – across my forehead, covering my eyes. The dog jumped up to join me, settled down against my leg, and we commenced to nap. Here’s how it went:

(lying on my back with hands clasped over my stomach) Shall I lie on my back or my side? My back, I guess – that’ll keep the pillow over my eyes. Shifting position will likely disturb the dog anyway.

My arm itches. (scratches) Goddamned deer flies.

(quiet for a bit – then) Is that one of the neighbors driving by, or an Asplundh truck? They’re supposed to start cutting this week or next, I hear.

(quiet for a bit)

I wonder how many twin primes there are less than 100? Let’s see… 3,5… 5,7… 11,13… 17,19… oops, forgot 2,3…

(A snipped of melody runs through my head) What’s that from? I know it, but can’t place it… Da-da Dee-Dee-Dee Dumm… Da-da Dee-Dee-Dee Dumm…

29,31… 37,39… wait, 39’s composite, not prime… 41,43…

I wonder whatever became of Cathy Egan? Man, she played me like a game fish. I had it baaaad for her. Took me long enough to grow a pair and walk away.

59,61… 71,73…

“The Waltons”! That’s the theme to “The Waltons”! Da-da Dee-Dee-Dee Dumm…

(quiet for a bit)

I ought to use this hot weather as an excuse to finish that video I’ve been pecking at since forever ago…

What was that asshole’s name? The 2nd shift quality inspector? What a dick. Lee Something. No, not Lee… Larry. Larry… Kelton! What a pompous little martinet.

Judy Rossman – had it bad for her, too. At least she was upfront & didn’t lead me down the path though. But it was months getting over her.. Wonder if she’s still at Bryants?

87,89… nope, 87’s composite… 89,91… I guess that’s all of ‘em. So how many is that? Dammit, forgot to count…

(quiet for a bit)

Oh, wait, Bryants closed shop years ago. I loved my old Saab. Smoked a lot of weed in that old starship. I’d love to take a cruise over into southern Vermont this weekend – 3rd dog training session doesn’t start for another week. Jimmy Merrill – he still around? First time I ever smoked dope… ‘member Dad’s old garden tractor?… whatever happened to my old walkie-talkies…?

(By now I’ve begun drifting downward into random thoughts and memories bubbling up of their own accord, at one point actually “hearing” the voice of Wade Goodwin, an NPR correspondent who used to cover Shuttle launches. But then the refrigerator clicks on, pulling me back up to the surface.)

Shit. Almost fell asleep that time. Maybe if I lie still enough, I can sink back down...

(quiet for a bit)

Shit. My arm itches again. If I move to scratch it, I’ll wake up more. If I don’t, the itch will keep me awake. Fucking deer flies.

At this point, I peeked out from under the pillow to observe that 10 minutes had elapsed since embarking on this fool’s errand. So now here I sit, drowsily and lethargically churning out the rambling stream of consciousness I’ve just kayaked down in the misbegotten belief that it’s actually worth sharing…

I’d rather have fallen asleep. But here it is.
Last edited by sasha on January 31st, 2018, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Falsehood flies, the Truth comes limping after it." - Jonathan Swift, ca. 1710

the mingo

Re: Nap Time

Post by the mingo » July 22nd, 2016, 7:54 pm

It was worth sharing - believe me 8)
Doll, you may have found a place of rest but I'm still on the trail.

sasha

Re: Nap Time

Post by sasha » July 23rd, 2016, 10:26 am

:)
"Falsehood flies, the Truth comes limping after it." - Jonathan Swift, ca. 1710

Return to “Stories & Essays”