SALUTE THE SARGE

Prose, including snippets (mini-memoirs).
sooZen

SALUTE THE SARGE

Post by sooZen » March 13th, 2017, 11:11 am

Still here... but spring has sprung and a burst of creativity has also (like making stuff again despite the effort). First of all I would like to say that I am thinking of all my family and friends that are "jumping hurdles" or climbing what seems like insurmountable mountains. I know (as I have a few myself) and am sending you love and light! Now is a good time for all of us to smudge (sage) ourselves and our places and spaces...

Spring? O yeah! The desert southwest is in the midst of an early spring, the weather is warm (and windy) and the poppies on the Franklin Mountains are bursting out all over her slopes. And the yard in Leedom is following suit. Our old Lady Banks Rose which has managed to survive countless droughts and periods of neglect is a cascade of yellow roses. The purple iris of my mother-in-law's that I transplanted are blooming and the miniature daffodils I planted last fall are almost finished with their nodding yellow blooms. The small mountain laurel tree I got from the native plant sale a few years ago has beautiful and fragrant purple blooms at each branch tip. All the trees and plants are putting on leaves or buds and that is concerning as we usually experience a late frost. This year may be different as it is getting warmer each succeeding year earlier and earlier. This summer will be a scorcher... (Hello? Did you say climate change?)

Every year since I left my "real" (paying) job working with children with cancer in 1992 and became a full time farmer/homemaker/artist/caretaker, I have kept a garden journal of everything I planted be it annual or perennial. All has been noted in that book. The reason I mention it is because of one particular tree which, despite all odds, managed to survive. I had to go back and see the record as I no longer remember stuff, especially dates!

In March of 2008, I made a donation to the Arbor Day Foundation with no expectations other than hoping it did some good for trees. As a result they sent me 5 bare root sticks about a foot long. I could have tossed them in the compost pile but instead diligently did what the planting directions suggested which was "heeling them in until they took root and then move them to a proper place." The ADF was supposedly sending me trees that were good for our area but other than growing well in our Zone (7-8), none of them were good for the desert especially our high Chihuahuan desert! I received an Eastern Redbud, a Washington Hawthorn, a Golden Raintree, a Sargent Crabapple, and a white flowering Dogwood which would have done great if we lived in the deep South. But still we planted them with good intent (and a wish and a prayer) to see what happened. Nothing...happened... except for one small stick...it refused to die like all the others. The Sargent Crabapple put on a few leaves and didn't dry up and I religiously doted on it with compost, water and all my love.

Now, since our yard is a refuge (officially a National Wildlife Foundation Backyard Habitat), I had always wanted a crabapple and envied my friends who live in Tennessee theirs. I had spent some wonderful hours in the shade of that tree next to their deck watching the birds enjoying the fruits. It was a bird magnet. We have lots of bird magnets in our yard already with the multitude of pomegranate trees but a little crabapple would sure be nice. Anyway, that little stick continued to grow in its place in the herb bed where we originally planted it (I say "we" because my mate Cecil is the designated digger. He digs where I tell him which is wonderful!) I never moved it to a "proper place" for it liked it just where it was.

Sarge, or Sargent as we call our tree has been lovingly pruned by Cec and has grown to be about 7 or 8 foot tall and it finally bloomed and had crabapples last year. Not a lot but enough to satisfy my hopes for this tough little tree. This year it is covered in the most beautiful white blooms which for all the world resemble a brides bouquet on every branch. With the winds we experience in the spring around here...all those blooms may never make many little apples but oh, the sight from my deck is absolutely glorious!

Spring always engenders hope of new life after winter's sleep. At my age the signs of life and the fact that life goes on no matter what is encouraging... I am awakened yet again. So Sarge, I salute you and what you represent...and will keep on as long as breath and bloom allows...
Freedom's just another word...

http://soozen.livejournal.com/

stilltrucking

Re: SALUTE THE SARGE

Post by stilltrucking » March 13th, 2017, 1:51 pm

been using the expression "weird as Texas weather

always a stranger in a strange land here
matching season to season with Maryland weathr
every other day feels like I am in a different season
now after many days of fine Maryland May weather
we are back to early April in Maryland
them april showers that killed grandpop
cold damp like breathing in a mist

really really enjoyed this read, going to print it out and read again during the dead time at work tonight.

another tree huger in texas
I even hug mesquite

sooZen

Post by sooZen » March 13th, 2017, 2:09 pm

Thanks Jack... I hug mesquite too. ;) Felt good to write again this morn. I don't always have it in me but today it spilled out. Appreciate the kudos and glad you enjoyed.

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » March 13th, 2017, 10:56 pm

so lucid, so evocative - looks effortless - thanks, Soo

mnaz

Post by mnaz » March 14th, 2017, 1:47 am

Very cool. I continue to be amazed at the variety and range of flora that can survive in the desert. If I make it back down there, I'd like to see this sarge...

You're a fine writer, soo..

sooZen

Post by sooZen » March 14th, 2017, 8:48 am

a few words
a long story
blooms briefly

Thank you judih...nice when it happens...!

Hi Mark
Yep, the desert is just another ancient forest in another guise. You have been here. You know. Sarge would welcome you. Thank you for the appreciation...it is appreciated. :wink:

Return to “Stories & Essays”