page number,

Prose, including snippets (mini-memoirs).
stilltrucking

page number,

Post by stilltrucking » April 1st, 2017, 12:20 am

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Re: page number,

Post by Doreen Peri » April 1st, 2017, 8:25 pm

What is this? Is this a story? Or an essay? Or what? :) Sorry, I don't understand.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » April 1st, 2017, 11:56 pm

Sorry I should have set it up better. Mnaz had a "pull my daisy" thread.] gives some idea of what I was trying or am doing, a kind of Surreal Pull my Daisy meets Burroughs cut and paste. I thought somebody might to come back with another page from another text not exactly a random juxtaposition.

here is a wicki article on "pull my daisy"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pull_My_Daisy

so that is what I am doing but I should have laid it out better. :oops:

mnaz

Post by mnaz » April 2nd, 2017, 12:02 pm

Jack's voice sounds weird in that video. What were those fools thinking? My roommate's mom took a class taught by Allen Ginsberg. I've often wondered what I would do-- er, I mean, would have done-- if he and Corso had suddenly stripped naked and started reading their poetry at some event.. "That's ok, I'll catch ya next time, Allen" ...

short timer

Post by short timer » April 5th, 2017, 2:57 pm

I could imagine them on Howard Stern Show doing that.

You know what, I have not listened to it :oops: . When I do hear Jack's voice is in an Audio Book version of The Dharma Bums, don't know who the actor reading it is but he does a good job. Sounds like the recorded voices I have heard of him here and there on the web.

RE: page number one page number 49
If i could write spontaneous footnotes to my spontaneous code
might help pull this all together.

I feel like Ignatius J. Reilly laying in bed looking at the dozens of Indian Head Tablets™ that made a rug of Indian headdresses around his bed.....very disordered but one day he would assume the task of editing the fragments into a jigsaw puzzle of grand design, *confederacy of dunces

Free Rice

http://www.landscaper.net/short.htm

mnaz

Post by mnaz » April 9th, 2017, 6:44 pm

"Confederacy of dunces" might be pretty close to the best title ever. Why haven't I read this book? I must read this book. I'd heard the title before, but I'm so ignorant of literature that I thought Twain or one of his imitators wrote it. He seems to have some of my tired old complaints hitting a printed (or pixelated) page, but I traveled a lot more, I just went out there and wallowed in it, or somewhere near at least . . . And now I have some questions that I want to ask (screen name) "Ignatius" on another site. Interesting.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » April 9th, 2017, 9:26 pm

Two
"With the breakdown of the Medieval system, the gods of Chaos, Lunacy, and Bad Taste gained ascendancy." Ignatius was writing in one of his Big Chief tablets.

After a period in which the western world had enjoyed order, tranquility, unity, and oneness with its True God and Trinity, there appeared winds of change which spelled evil days ahead. An ill wind blows no one good. The luminous years of Abelard, Thomas a Becket, and Everyman dimmed into dross; Fortuna's wheel had turned on humanity, crushing its collarbone, smashing its skull, twisting its torso, puncturing its pelvis, sorrowing its soul. Having once been so high, humanity fell so low. What had once been dedicated to the soul was now dedicated to the sale.

"That is rather fine," Ignatius said to himself and continued his hurried writing.
Merchants and charlatans gained control of Europe, calling their insidious gospel "The
Enlightenment." The day of the locust was at hand, but from the ashes of humanity there arose no Phoenix. The humble and pious peasant. Piers Plowman, went to town to sell his children to the lords of the New Order for purposes that we may call questionable at best. (See Reilly, Ignatius J., Blood on Their Hands: The Crime of It All, A study of some selected abuses in sixteenth century Europe, a Monograph, 2 pages, 1950, Rare Book Room, Left Corridor, Third Floor, Howard-Tilton Memorial Library, Tulane University, New Orleans 18, Louisiana. Note: I mailed this singular monograph to the library as a gift; however, I am not really certain that it was ever accepted. It may well have been thrown out because it was only written in pencil on tablet paper.) The gyre had widened; The Great Chain of Being had snapped like so many paper clips strung together by some drooling idiot; death, destruction, anarchy, progress, ambition,and self-improvement were to be Piers' new fate. And a vicious fate it was to be: now he was faced with the perversion of having to GO TO WORK.

Return to “Stories & Essays”