California Cantelopes

Prose, including snippets (mini-memoirs).
tinkerjack

California Cantelopes

Post by tinkerjack » July 13th, 2005, 1:41 pm

Grocery store produce section
I recognize her voice
she sounds like one of my mother's antique dealer friends.
another child who has grown old, her sweatpants are full of watermanons that roll around as she walks. I buy two cantelopue when one would have been enogh, but stalls are filled with California Produce because it's summertime. Morning glory summer the first in sixty years. back to the woman in the grocery store
I meet he about three more times until we make our way to the ice cream freezer, they got fifty five gallon drums cantainers of sugar free ice cream, sweetened with sorbitol, an alcohol sweatness that always seems to puree my liver. Deliciious though not nutritious, Her whinny voice again where is the sugar free ice cream, I show her my pint but she has her eye on that fifty five gallon drum, I mention sorbitlol and the sh*ts as delicately as possible but she goes for the whole nine yards. We meet again one more time at the cash register.

tinkerjack

Post by tinkerjack » July 13th, 2005, 1:47 pm

the other woman she reminded me of with that whine in her voice, she probably had good reason to wine. A good life she was living, a great store right in the heart of Bethesda MD. Then she got that lump on her forehead, convinced it was cancer, or may a misdiagonossis, Yeah the way I heard it they told her she had six months, she sold everything went out o business got a little apartment by the hospitol, then lived a couple of years, her life stopped. Too late to start over again.

Return to “Stories & Essays”