The day I wanted to kick Henry Ford's ass

Prose, including snippets (mini-memoirs).
stilltrucking

The day I wanted to kick Henry Ford's ass

Post by stilltrucking » August 4th, 2005, 1:09 pm

Bringing a bus load of kids back from a summer camp in Virginia. I-66, in a drizzling rain. The kind of rain that just lightly wets the road and mixes with the oily residue to make the road surface slick as snot. Air brakes on the bus. There is an emergency feature that used springs to lock down the brakes in case the air pressure is suddenly lost. The emergency valve popped out and the brakes locked up sending the bus into a skid, some how I managed to aim the bus towards the shoulder and we slid to a stop. Four wheelers had no idea how slick the road was, they just flew by us. Montgomery county sent a mechanic out and he fixed the brakes in New York minute. They knew exactly what had happened. Ford Motor Company was using some kind of plastic air lines that cracked from the vibrations of the bus. I was stunned. You mean you know about this and there was no recall? They just fixed them when ever they broke. No preventive maintenance? The banality of evil.

mousey1

Post by mousey1 » August 5th, 2005, 12:04 pm

A well writ snippet! A snappy title!

"The banality of evil." How true how true. Apparently we can always put a price on life.
I used to walk with my head in the clouds but I kept getting struck by lightning!
Now my head twitches and I drool alot. Anonymouse

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/mousey1/shhhhhh.gif[/img]

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » August 5th, 2005, 6:45 pm

I was so angry. Good thing there was one of those hard nosed Virgina state troopers there. I wanted to climb that guy's frame..
He was so nacholant about it.

Nacholant is a regestered trade mark of the General Foods, General Feuls, and fools Corporation LLC

try some tonight they are very good with velveeta cheese and a little jaloponoes and a glass of mango wine.

Return to “Stories & Essays”