Crones and the curse of virginity

Prose, including snippets (mini-memoirs).
tinkerjack

Crones and the curse of virginity

Post by tinkerjack » November 15th, 2005, 1:44 pm

She was in her late middle age. And life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone. A successful woman of property, with work she loved. But she needed another husband like a fish needs a bicycle. So she solipsized a groom for the top of her wedding cake. He cleaned her out. Took everything, the house the cars the bank accounts, the antique store. She started over again. Rose told me the story as we drove out to her new store. Lets call her Evie, just a coincidence. Evie seemed a little spaced to me that day, a little vacant in her presence. but she and Rose startied talking and Evie seemed to come out of it. I hope so.

A few years later, after Rose had her stroke I got the lame idea that it would cheer her up if I took her around to visit some of her friends. The first place we stopped was a antique shop in bethesda owned by a woman Rose admired. I remember the look of shock and fear on that woman's face when Rose and I walked into the store. She recovered from the shock and had a nice conversation but that look of hers when she saw Rose's withered body...
We went home, no more visits.

Daughters, mothers and daughters
the fortunate ones with loving relationships
just as fortunate but maybe more rare
father daughter loving relationships
One I can think of
Gloria Steinem and her father

Freida Hughes and Her father.

Spiderwoman had her middle age crazy period, and I wandered into her life like a jinx

How she loved her daughters, how well she raised them. One was in juniour high about 14 or 15, she had decided that she wanted to lose her virginity. Spiderwoman was a realist I thought, she knew just how much control she could excercise over her daughter. If she could not delay her daughter's sex life she was determined to make sure that she protected herself from unwanted pregnancy and disease. Abortion was still legal back then but it is a horrible method of birth control. Speaking of control:::::

So now it comes out that The FDA turned down the Plan B morning after pill even before they recieved the scientific peer reviews that argued for it.

This is a replacement for something I posted yester day but which turned out to be one of those slippery silicon documents that crash and burn with a keystroke.
free rice

I used to be smart

Return to “Stories & Essays”