Sunday school

Prose, including snippets (mini-memoirs).
mnaz

Sunday school

Post by mnaz » December 22nd, 2005, 3:58 pm

I love my sojourn here. Gentle, before accounts are due, favors are cashed in. Meek, before the wars of mind. Not much time left now. I miss those Sunday school sessions from 1975, donuts and weekly lessons on the coming river of blood, children swept away before the lamb sees fit to intercede.

We dove into scripture, made it our very own fire-wall, our fortified temple on the rock against slings and arrows of the peacemakers. We sang beautiful scarlet hymns, onward march, since the days were few and the prophecy nudged. We woke up Ezekiel and Isaiah. We feared supermarket bar codes of the Antichrist, O Whore of Babylon. We took communion of schism, our sins washed in the blood of Ism. Jesus at auction, rightly divided.

We meant no harm, only salvation, to destroy the enemy many times over, since all will be reborn in the image of our sacred text. House of Ism. We meant no harm, only God's alphabet.

Much has been written. In summary.... millennialism, dispensationalism, apocalypticism, adventism, Millerism, Zionism, preterism, capitalism, Protestantism, alarmism, synopticism, Rastafarianism, evangelism, futurism, moralism, Cataclysm.... I could go on. Pick one and the most holy plan becomes much more clear. If I had a nickel for every time that plan was pitched by armor-plated theologians.... I love my sojourn here.
Last edited by mnaz on December 23rd, 2005, 2:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » December 22nd, 2005, 9:40 pm

:wink:

mnaz

Post by mnaz » December 22nd, 2005, 11:04 pm

not sure where that came from....

like therapy, I guess.... get it out. I thought I'd buried those days for good.

Where's my Xmas spirit?

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » December 23rd, 2005, 1:06 am

(((still :) )))

Christmas spirit...? Still there, but taking on a new face for a far larger purpose, I'm sure...

Where are you at this day, may I ask?

mnaz

Post by mnaz » December 23rd, 2005, 2:15 am

home for the holidays, Seattle-wise....

I was clicking thru pjbuk's "what's the secret" thread and got caught in a loop of "end times" webpages, and well.... I had some nasty church flashbacks from my youth.... They used to talk about Armageddon every other Sunday and show Rapture film strips....

at least they brought donuts once in awhile....

tinkerjack

Post by tinkerjack » December 23rd, 2005, 7:43 am

floccinaucinihilipilification

I love my sojourn here too. I was such a fortunate son. No Sunday school, no Hebrew school, a crazy Jew atheist upbringing. No heaven no hell, no Israel, how I miss those hazy lazy days of summer 1945. When evil was vanquished. No Christmas spirit this year, just a trail of blood and ignorance from New York City to Baghdad. No joy to the world, no feasting, I need quiet and solitude. I need a bitter cold day in December with freezing rain. A day without sunshine, no innocent babes, no Messiah, just dirty old men with blood on their hands. This would be a good Christmas to skip. Celebrate when the next Jewish Messiah gets born. This year I just want to paint it black.

mnaz that was excellent, we might as well be from different planets, so far apart in time and culture.
free rice

I used to be smart

mnaz

Post by mnaz » December 24th, 2005, 2:08 am

Seems we have to take our joy to the world on the run these days. It's been like that for awhile now, longer than I can remember, longer than I've been aware.

That's the thing about the lazy, hazy days following all-out war; they are recorded by the victors as final history, while the seeds of the next war are sown somewhere within the unspeakable depravity of the last one. World War 2 might be the epitome of humanity's failure to recognize this great gift we've been granted, but ironically, it is also the hardest war to dispute. The Nazi creed and drive was so tunnel-visioned and so far off-course that it will never sufficiently be explained by any rational method of study. Hell, I'd like to think that no group of people will ever again be so far off-course, but I'm usually forced to concede that this is at best the purest form of wishful thinking.

There remains no widely-accepted answer to the potentially violent mechanics of a sensible and righteous world. Who the hell should see fit to lay claim to such an answer? Be immediately suspicious of those who claim the answer, and offer mere sheets of paper and carefully-orchestrated speeches to back it up. Be very suspicious. That's all I'm saying.

tinkerjack

Post by tinkerjack » December 24th, 2005, 5:21 am

Be immediately suspicious of those who claim the answer, and offer mere sheets of paper and carefully-orchestrated speeches to back it up. Be very suspicious. That's all I'm saying.
Mnaz I thought your piece was excellent, these spontaneous gibberish posts of mine are almost like automatic typing for me.

There was a bear in the old Pogo comic strip who could write but not read. I don't know what i meant with my reply above. Was I criticizing yours? I hope not, it was very good and I enjoyed reading it. Christmas is just tough for me this year. This Christian President of mine is making me sick, and all those smiley faces telling me the good news, good news for them.

I was remembering a time when all the evil in the world was over seas, in Germany and Japan, and America was the good guy. This US of A is no nazi Germany yet, but I think it is pretty got dam sick. The winter solstice is passed, the sun is returning, I am feeling better. I think I like Santa a lot better than the Christian celebration.

just a GO for me, everything is just a go.

thanks for the mind food

I used to love history, had one good teacher in high school, told it like it was in 1958-59, about the small pox and the Indian blankets, my first inkling that there was a dark side to this country that was a refuge for my poor immigrant Jewish grand parents fleeing the Pogroms in Poland before WW 1.

I still believe in the good fight. The fight of Emma Goldman, Eugene Debs, Norman Thomas, Gandhi, MLK, and I would like to believe that a Messiah will be born tomorrow, another Dalai Lama or someone like him, we need a whole generation of them.
free rice

I used to be smart

mnaz

Post by mnaz » December 24th, 2005, 1:57 pm

I was remembering a time when all the evil in the world was over seas
It's always been that way in my lifetime, according to the most powerful talking heads..... coincidentally the same talking heads with access to bigger bombs and better delivery systems.

I still believe in the good fight.
Me too. And it may or may not be handed down to me by the most powerful talking heads.

Huh. Listen to me.... I keep forgetting to balance the yin with yang...

tinkerjack

Post by tinkerjack » December 27th, 2005, 12:59 am

Dalai Lama
Religion something like medicine, when no pain no need medicine; same thing religion
KM
“Religion is an opiate of the masses”
Balance is good, right now I am perfectly balanced between anger and sorrow..
I got no religion anymore and no drugs.

Just the comfort of your words.

thank you
free rice

I used to be smart

mnaz

Post by mnaz » December 27th, 2005, 4:27 pm

I need to remind myself to try and love my neighbors, even the ones who infuriate me or scare the bejeezus out of me. Not an easy thing to do.

Return to “Stories & Essays”