Theology

Prose, including snippets (mini-memoirs).
mnaz

Theology

Post by mnaz » December 31st, 2005, 6:44 pm

I did not sleep well. I could not wash down the sermon. I thought I had buried those memories, abstracted them.... Sunday school donuts in 1975 and the weekly lessons on a coming river of blood. At a McDonald's in Boise on Fairview Avenue, as I waited for my styrofoam breakfast, I overheard a group of old farmers in John Deere caps seated nearby. A Bible study. The word 'truth' punctuated their exchange; every third or fourth word. Then I caught the subject line.... "Muslims, all they want to do is kill us. But Christ will save us. But it has to get a lot worse before it gets better. The Bible says that a third of the world's population must die in the big war before Christ returns". I remember their words, verbatim.

I did not sleep well. From there it's a little fuzzy, into streams of gray silk, fading in again as I float up familiar stairs toward the narthex, toward Pastor Paul's office. I pass through deserted architecture. A forest of seasonal flowers sprouts through the carpeting; the sum of every bouquet laid on the altar and sermonized. I push through, instinctively. I reach the Pastor's office, reeking of flowers, but he is out for the night and I am left to a shadow of soliloquy. What if the Bible ended after its first sentence? God created. Done.

Pastor Paul's eyes disabled questions, benevolently. He often spoke of the body as a temple, faith empowerment, if only briefly, before the business of the messiah. In his opinion, the messiah had gone missing for awhile. It made no sense to me, but he was sure of it. At this point I am screaming. Windows rattle, the floorboards vibrate, and I demand answers. Why so many heaven bids? I slump back into the Pastor's chair. I lack resolve. I lack prophecy. I lack wars like the tides. I am diseased by thoughts of love, jolted awake. Time for a final kingdom shakedown. Another one.

It is written.... dispensationalism, millennialism, apocalypticism, adventism, Millerism, Zionism, preterism, communism, Protestantism, synopticism, alarmism, Rastafarianism, capitalism, evangelism, futurism, moralism, cataclysm.... plenty of brochures. Pick any two or three....
Last edited by mnaz on January 3rd, 2006, 4:03 am, edited 5 times in total.

mnaz

Post by mnaz » January 1st, 2006, 2:51 am

Ok, I promise.

No more religion posts after this.

Please bear with me..

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » January 1st, 2006, 2:38 pm

ah, come on, mnaz... these are well written memories that amuse me. a few more at least, eh? i'd like to see where you are NOW. :wink:

Glorious Amok

Post by Glorious Amok » January 3rd, 2006, 4:09 pm

flowers broken through stone walls
showering new fields with seasonal aroma
victorious, unstoppable
God created.

young girls dancing in shades of blue
burst out of hidden postures
victorious, unstoppable
God created.
"YOUR way is your only way." - jack kerouac

Axanderdeath

Post by Axanderdeath » January 3rd, 2006, 5:13 pm

I liked it--seemed like a dream while you walk through the flowers? What is it limbo land of night trying to sleep or distant though distorted?
thus spoke G.A.P.

Glorious Amok

Post by Glorious Amok » January 3rd, 2006, 8:39 pm

yes, a distant foggy dream ... it comes from reading mnaz's conjurings, and from being addicted to this...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... =tap+dance
"YOUR way is your only way." - jack kerouac

mnaz

Post by mnaz » January 4th, 2006, 3:57 am

Yeah. Some more flashbacks. Where am I now? Over it.

Writing therapy.... get it out!

Too many kingdom builders spoil the faith.

Or something like that...

Loved the dance, Glorious..... Thanks!

Return to “Stories & Essays”