Nothing decadent about me.

Prose, including snippets (mini-memoirs).
stilltrucking

Nothing decadent about me.

Post by stilltrucking » March 6th, 2006, 12:25 am

Nietzsche defined decadence as when bachelors lived like married men

Nine forty three PM
On drifting off to sleep, clean sheets for the first time since I got sick back in January. In fact they are the first sheets I have had on my bed in two months. I was sleeping on a bare mattress. Elbows rubbed raw. I remembered to put some udder cream on them tonight.

So it is very comfortable and I am half asleep on my fresh clean sheet, the windows open, silence and a nice breeze coming in, and it is so beautiful, then

The blast of southern pacific air horn, and then the rumble of the cars the horn fading.
Silence again, car alarm goes off nine forty eight. Then silence again then faintly I hear Taps being played at the Taj Mahal.

Ten O five pm Union Pacific again~ -

I tell ya I would lose my mind if not for those trains.

The rumble of those rail road cars like the sound of the surf in a California beach town. And no radio, no BBC World News Overnight, no waking up with the latest cricket scores, not even music, just the silence, the breeze on a mild early spring night, and my thoughts of words I had wrote today drifting through my mind, and the occasional train to bring me back to semi consciousness. And I go again into freshly laundered bliss of sleeping on a clean sheet.

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » March 6th, 2006, 12:30 am

amen, st. jack

Artguy

Post by Artguy » March 6th, 2006, 9:54 pm

counting the passing of time and trains....a life alive..........

Return to “Stories & Essays”