More Notes from Camp...

Prose, including snippets (mini-memoirs).
mnaz

More Notes from Camp...

Post by mnaz » March 31st, 2006, 5:09 pm

March 5:
Earlier today, a swarm of dirt bikes invaded the mountainside. Even three miles out, their tortured buzz is unique-- a cacophony of raucous elephant farts and drunken mosquitos. Coming out of silence, it beats the notion of poetic slopes straight out of a man. But I won't be the one to put up fences. Let them go. Long live sport! I'll have the same mountainside tomorrow, when they have only spoke and piston dreams, and I'll be left to my devices and the mountains and their entities. No surprise, really. They enticed me to begin with. Like Jerry explained, in his cryptic style-- "use them to your advantage".

March 7:
This canyon is a maze of low mesas and gulches. The oldtimers looked for flecks of gold carried down from high peaks in ancient stream beds, buried at points unknown inside the slopes. They guessed better than I might, no doubt, but they were guessing, just the same. There had to be an intuition to it-- extrasensory skill-- a lasting romance with the hill. Some early claims here did well, but these are not mountains of instant wild wealth. Take a wider angle. Desert space, gold-bearing or otherwise, is stripped down to a few essentials. Embrace them and thrive...

What of the entities? Deacon saw faces in every third rock he picked up, in my photos of cliffs. I tend to miss those things, but I see possibility-- a stark richness. From the bottom of each draw, creosote bush crenellations stand their ground. They take on the most blistering low deserts, while sagebrush and the stinking greasewoods take on brutal high desert winters-- relentless and numb. And the coyote passes haggardly through all of the above-- the desert's eyes, anchor of the empty. But "empty" is subjective. The hillside next to me is hardly "empty", flooded with birds, home from their rounds to convene with family and friends-- the gurgle and chortle of chukar and quail. Social hour. The quail enclave must number past sixty. They gather about thirty yards from here, emit a collective staccato laugh every ten or twenty seconds, like humans subjected to calculated comedy....

March 9:

The wind surges, the air turns bitter cold. No one is on the hill but me, the latest king of solitary unrest. I brought it in my luggage. Squalls pass throught the canyon, first as flakes, then wind-crazed ice bullets, hurled by a dying season of rage. Maybe I brought it on myself-- the rage. Maybe I went to that well too often. The noise won't stop, even here. I could use a place to hear my thoughts again. But if the noise stopped, would my ringing ears defeat the point of it? As the next squall down canyon coils for a strike, gathers fury, I notice I'm no longer alone. A cobalt Ford mammoth-cab, two stories high, pulls into camp and a manic man springs out-- a long man, perhaps six-foot-six, with a ponytail and terrible teeth. His name is Jarvis, and he's pure energy. He fought in Desert Storm back in '91. That's what he's here for-- the storm.... He can't believe I'm up here alone, without a gun. Neither can I....

March 11:
The storm eased from icy rage to simple passion. The wind checks me, but no longer shuts down my will. I see a pattern today-- stasis in motion. I see a garbled cumulus cloud, in puffed, backlit bronze, hang up on the mesa-- seep into it, not across. I see a red-tailed hawk, in wind-hover, glide into fortunate resistance, scan the camp with accuity. And not a damn thing moved when the sun and wind stalled near noon, yet textbooks insist that I hurtled through space the whole time.

Jerry says there are petroglyphs on the summit, but only a few. He's big on petroglyphs-- rock etchings of lost Indian tribes. Bedrock art. Some were scribed deeply over generations by hunting parties which returned to their place of reckoning, or connection. But most petroglyphs in this stretch of desert are sequestered behind military fences; so much of this place has been locked away.... For now, petroglyphs drift overhead, left to right.... a desert bighorn.... no, a pronghorn antelope.... gray puffs fly by, shape-shift.... The wind gets stronger-- that's what it does here. Gray puffs fly faster, muddy smoke.... a cowboy on a bucking bull.... a prancing horse, for godssake.... they keep coming. It will be dead-cold tonight, but it's a dry cold, so I won't feel it.... Thirty-knot gusts, now.... Ride it out. Tomorrow looks different-- new spin, same storm....

Note: edited for typos.
Last edited by mnaz on April 4th, 2006, 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » March 31st, 2006, 7:31 pm

My face hurts, from smiling all the way through it,

Desert space, gold-bearing or otherwise, is stripped down to a few essentials. Embrace them and thrive...

Thanks for sharing your desert embrace :D :D :D

Here are a couple of typos I think?

buried a t points unknown

just thew same

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » March 31st, 2006, 8:35 pm

one more thing

be care full

please

I just heard something on the radio about a bomb test in Nevada, called STRAKE.

must be happening in with the petroglyphs,

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » March 31st, 2006, 10:12 pm

hurled by a dying season of rage. Maybe I brought it on myself-- the rage. Maybe I went to that well too often. The noise won't stop, even here. I could use a place to hear my thoughts again. But if the noise stopped, would my ringing ears defeat the point of it?

that bit just come back to haunt me, thinking about the noise, at first I could not remember where I read it.

Yeah elephant farts. I spent tje summer of 74
working behind six big elephan asses with a broom and shovel. Elephant pharts dont get me started

this one is perfect mark
thanks again

abcrystcats

Post by abcrystcats » April 1st, 2006, 3:02 am

Yeah, BE CAREFUL, but be careful you don't get lost.

Why are you trying to get lost? If LOST is your destination, then why are you communicating with US?

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » April 1st, 2006, 10:17 am

He can't believe I'm up here alone, without a gun. Neither can I....

I loved story, it seems like you got a problem with it. I can't imagine why. None of my business really. Sorry.

I am green with envy. I want to get lost myself

Give me the beat boys to free my soul
I want to get lost in your rock and roll.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » April 1st, 2006, 12:26 pm

emnaz... another great write you have here.

Your line, "And not a damn thing moved when the sun and wind stalled near noon, yet textbooks insist that I hurtled through space the whole time." especially struck a chord of humor within.

Keep up the good work, friend and keep the eye clear. :wink:

mousey1

Post by mousey1 » April 1st, 2006, 1:33 pm

mnaz, fabulous reading this. Thank-you so much for sharing it with us. You are writing so beautifully. I'm really getting a feel for the place, really sharing in the moods of the place.

You describe everything so flavorfully...what a delight.
I used to walk with my head in the clouds but I kept getting struck by lightning!
Now my head twitches and I drool alot. Anonymouse

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/mousey1/shhhhhh.gif[/img]

mnaz

Post by mnaz » April 4th, 2006, 9:35 pm

Thanks all!..... The adventure draws near to a close.... It's gratifying to hear that I'm getting the feel of the place across, at least somewhat..... I'll post more....

Return to “Stories & Essays”