Raven dance (& misc. notes)

Prose, including snippets (mini-memoirs).
mnaz

Raven dance (& misc. notes)

Post by mnaz » April 15th, 2006, 3:46 pm

March 22:
First day of leisure, start to finish. I sit on the porch, under a tattered shade canopy two or three storms from collapse, with a splendid view of Red's post-industrious playground, shirking my life's mission, watching clouds form over expired mining artifacts, as I promised. Rodentia rules this place by night, but rabbits run it by day. Jackrabbits won't let me near, but the cottontails aren't too concerned-- I haven't shot at them, yet. I'm on my third Pabst when I notice perfect sunlight on Red's 1919 Fordson crawler tractor. So I tote my camera to the spot, click the moment, and start back. Rabbits shoot from nooks as I pass.... then, Raaak.... the big raven bursts over a low mesa, wings toward his hangout by the Indian caves. Except his mate intercepts him from the other side of the hill, and aerobatics ensue-- a raven dance....

It flows-- circle and swoop, figure-eight and return, touch wings in barrel-roll flutter.... raaak.... the big raven breaks, flies straight overhead, makes a wide loop, rejoins the show.... circle and call, touch wings in a twisting dive, break and circle, reunite, fly together, loop, swoop and roll.... raaak.... So it goes for a good five minutes. I stand and watch, by the big air compressor, camera still in hand.

April 5:
In a desert known for suffocating heat, I can't get warm. I am with cloud. Surely billow and bellow shall follow me-- refreshing, dull bluster which built dismal ports up north, turned firecracker deserts sullen overnight, in my footsteps. Genetic lead-gray. Or perhaps I never protested directly....

So I climb the west mesa, articulate my concerns politely, firmly. Man versus hammered heavens. I'll wait for as long as it takes-- I brought a parka and beer. The sky is a fractured textbook, stuffed with every cloud known to science-- jam and scrape, like twenty college students in a phone booth. These are unstable times. I stand against the new Ice Age while greasewoods bend, with more common sense.

Clouds imitate all facets of land, and latent fear-- inestimable even at dead-still, let alone this aggression. They are severed, faulted, blown-up, ripped. Distended lenticular slabs run over billow. Billow runs aground-- every caste, shade, canyon and shape of it-- charcoal rocket-blobs to compound, dirty snow-scapes, the sum of which thicken straight above. The sun goes west, the cloud, east, except spontaneous wisps feed cloud, keep the sun jailed. But cracks start to form, billow breaks apart, rocket-blobs evaporate. My protest seems to be working....

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » April 15th, 2006, 9:34 pm

I don't know why the word seemless comes to me

Thans for sharing your emptiness

:D

mousey1

Post by mousey1 » April 16th, 2006, 1:20 pm

Raven dance

Mating dance

or cavorting for a lady fair

or just testing their wings

bantering back and forth their aerial aerobatics write letters only they can comprehend

Excellent visuals, thank-you very much.
I used to walk with my head in the clouds but I kept getting struck by lightning!
Now my head twitches and I drool alot. Anonymouse

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/mousey1/shhhhhh.gif[/img]

mnaz

Post by mnaz » April 18th, 2006, 2:03 pm

Thanks Truckin' and mousey....

The mine gig is over now.... a strange experience which made perfect sense to me.... plenty of reflection-- and I learned countless new "lost bonanza" legends from the locals.... I'm heading into the desert today to look for one of them, in fact....

lenny

Post by lenny » April 21st, 2006, 8:05 am

Wonderful piece of very descriptive prose. You had me right beside you the whole time. Thank you for sharing this...and yourself.

lenny
None of us ever gets anything we don't either need or deserve. Dry those liquid emotions and move on.

mnaz

Post by mnaz » April 25th, 2006, 6:44 pm

Thanks. I appreciate it, lenny. The Mojave Desert, the uncarved, silent refuge of it, continues to shrink. Its quiet places are slowly consumed by a steady advance of suburbs and war games-- military, recreational, and otherwise. Truthfully, it seems a day is coming in the not-so-distant future when I'm tempted to write off the entire place. (Complete foolishness on my part. Perish the thought!) Anyway.... check out this piece, written by someone who said it better than I could....

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/cruz/ ... -9818.html

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » April 25th, 2006, 7:35 pm

mnaz - i read this piece the other day.. came back to read it again... for some friggin reason i couldn't find it... and now here it is again.

nice piece.. me gusto.

(am i confused by a reggae piece that tripped me out, now that i think a mit more about it? hmmmm... No, this is stilla good read.. but reggae keeps poppin up... why's dat??)

mnaz

Post by mnaz » April 25th, 2006, 8:01 pm

"Reggae" is one thing. Dub is something different, though born of those roots, derived from the same original recordings. An inspired dub echo, at any volume, reverberates through basin and range, cliff and canyon. It's just something I noticed. It might be an illusion, but it's my illusion.

Totenkopf

Post by Totenkopf » September 28th, 2007, 9:29 pm

Clouds imitate all facets of land, and latent fear-- inestimable even at dead-still, let alone this aggression. They are severed, faulted, blown-up, ripped. Distended lenticular slabs run over billow. Billow runs aground-- every caste, shade, canyon and shape of it-- charcoal rocket-blobs to compound, dirty snow-scapes, the sum of which thicken straight above.

Cool. Your best nature/desert writing flows effectively: Ed Abbey- like...............deserted landscapes work for many of us (regardless of some Poundian complaints...................)

Return to “Stories & Essays”