peculiar.... "Yeni bir baslik gonder"

On-going spontaneous Word Jams.
mnaz

peculiar.... "Yeni bir baslik gonder"

Post by mnaz » September 19th, 2005, 2:57 pm

What language is that? That's what the header over this text box reads, as I type this. In fact, when I log in, all the forums show up in this odd language, which I haven't been able to identify. Plus, my avatar is gone and I am listed as "Site Admin."

Is anyone else getting this?

mousey1

Post by mousey1 » September 19th, 2005, 3:17 pm

hmmmm.....I'm not peculiar....

I wonder what it is...

Kinda funny but not I guess!

Hacker?
I used to walk with my head in the clouds but I kept getting struck by lightning!
Now my head twitches and I drool alot. Anonymouse

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/mousey1/shhhhhh.gif[/img]

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » September 19th, 2005, 3:17 pm

Uh oh.... we may have been hacked.

Oh shit.

Stilltrucking said someone posted something under his name.

I don't know what's going on.

Thanks for the heads up.

I may have to take the site offline until I figure it out .... before it gets worse.

Dammit!

PS- I don't see those strange words.

Do this for now.... go into your profile and change your password right away..... I'll see if I can find your avatar and get it back up there for you... but if we've been hacked, this might turn into a big problem

Thanks !

mnaz

Post by mnaz » September 19th, 2005, 3:21 pm

fyi, doreen....

I first noticed it late last night, circa 1AM or so, while I was responding to the Sunday Stream.

Good luck.

panta rhei

Post by panta rhei » September 21st, 2005, 3:42 am

it's turkish.
i think 'gönder' means 'submit'.

maybe you have accidentally set your board language to turkish ?

mnaz

Post by mnaz » September 21st, 2005, 4:15 pm

Thanks panta.

That must be it.... though I can't imagine how I could have done such a thing... I reset the board to English.

Since nobody else had this problem, it must be my error, and not a "hack attack".

Curious, though.... My avatar is still missing. But at least the "Site Admin." title reference has disappeared.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » September 21st, 2005, 5:34 pm

mnaz - I had to remove the Site Admin designation 2x to make it disappear. I don't think that could have happened unless there was a hack attack. It's possible the board language set in your profile was also attacked and changed to Turkish. You didn't do it, right? Stilltrucking said a post of his was altered and not by him. All of these things point to being hacked because none of them were done by me or LR or judih (the only 3 people who have permissions set to get into the Admin panel). I'm glad there haven't been any more reports of problems.... it can get a whole lot worse.... hackers can take the board down entirely and screw up the database so all the posts are not retrievable. We're running an older version of this software ...2.0.11... and the new version is 2.0.17 and has many more safeguards in to keep hackers out of the database and admin panel. I really need to take the forums off-line and go through the process of upgrading but I am not looking forward to it because it's work which I am afraid I might mess up. I wish I knew a phpBB expert personally... someone who could volunteer to help us when there are technical problems.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » September 21st, 2005, 5:35 pm

PS. I think I have a copy of your avatar. If I do, I'll put it back for you.

mnaz

Post by mnaz » September 21st, 2005, 6:30 pm

Thanks Doreen.

Yeah.... the more I think about it, we probably were hacked, to a limited extent.

As I recall, Stilltrucking and myself were the only ones active on the boards when the trouble arose, and we apparently were the only ones 'hacked'. This might be a clue, of sorts.

It was about 1am or so a couple nights ago. I had just written a fairly long response to Cecil, but when I went to post, the board was in Turkish. I couldn't remember if 'submit' was on the right or left, and I lost my message and then reposted a much abbreviated version of it.

Anyway, I hope it doesn't happen again.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » September 21st, 2005, 8:06 pm

mnaz -

I strongly suggest that you and stilltrucking both change your passwords.

I don't know how these things work or why anybody would want to hack a forum. I wish I were more knowledgeable.

Return to “~GO!”