Our first book - Submission Guidelines

S8 anthologies & member's books.
Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Our first book - Submission Guidelines

Post by Doreen Peri » September 21st, 2006, 3:11 pm

We've been talking about creating a book, publishing in print some poetry and artwork by our members.

To read the initial conversation about this, click here
http://studioeight.tv/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8160

So, let's do it! OK?

I set up an email address at AOL (even though I know a lot of people hate AOL, it's free and I use it all the time and they have unlimited storage so that's what I did ;)).

Please select up to 8 of your works and submit them to

studioeightbooks@aol.com

Submission Guidelines

1. Works may be either poetry or black & white art or a combination of the two. No more than 8 submissions per person please.

2. By submitting, you agree to allow Studio Eight dot TV to have one-time rights to publish your works. You retain the copyright to your own work, of course.

3. No simultaneous submissions allowed. This means please do not submit any material which you have submitted elsewhere for print publication. This is to save us the trouble of having to pull your work in the middle of production should some other publisher want to publish the same work.

4. Poems should be reasonably short. I'm not going to set a line length restriction but envision a book with pages that are 5.5" x 8.5" and understand that we don't want any poem to fill more than a 2-page spread. Please make sure you use spellcheck and that your punctuation is exactly as you want it to appear. You will have an opportunity to review your material prior to publication.

5. Poetry should be sent either with the text in the body of the email or an attached Word or text file.

6. Artwork should be sent as an attachment, not embedded in the email. The artwork needs to be black & white, the name of the piece should be indicated, it should be in .TIF or .JPG format at 300dpi.

7. Deadline for submissions is October 31, 2006.

8. By submitting, you agree that the books will be sold at our Cafe Press store - http://www.cafepress.com/studioeight - and any profits will go to help fund hosting, software, or events for Studio Eight dot TV. We will set a minimal profit for these books, something like $1-3 each. I will let you know what that figure is after the book is produced and sent to Cafe Press. I can't figure it out yet because I don't know how long the book will be yet. They charge a certain amount per page to print these and I want to set a reasonable and affordable price so I'm sure we cannot expect much profit from them.

9. All works submitted must be original, created by you. If the pieces have been previously published or posted on the web, that's OK. If they have been previously published in print, you have not given any other publisher exclusive rights. Our publication will be a "one-time" right.

I think that's about it. If I think of something else we need to do, I'll come back to this thread. If you want to discuss the process, do it here.

The Process
Generally, this is how it will work...

After all submissions are received and the closing date passes, I will compile the submissions into a manuscript and save it as a PDF file. I will then share it with the following people who have all volunteered to help select the material for the book...

me
Lightning Rod
judih
firsty

We could use one more person to help review and select the material. If you want to volunteer, let me know.

The reviewers will go through a process of elimination, selecting what we feel is the very best of the submissions and agreeing on a final manuscript.

After that, I will layout & typeset the book and save it as a PDF file and send it to Cafe Press for publication. This is print on demand. We will have no stock to worry about. The books will be printed one-by-one as they are purchased.

I'm also thinking of starting a thread for full color artwork to be considered for the front cover, then set up a poll to vote for which piece should be used for the front cover. What do you think of this idea?

I'm also thinking of starting a thread for ideas for the name of the book. I sort of like the name "Infinity Sideways" as that's a cool name for the number 8 but I'm sure you all have other good ideas.

We are definitely going to use the 8 in the theme and/or layout of the book. We will either have 8 sections or do something emphasizing the number 8. As the manuscript comes together, I'm sure we'll get inspired and figure it out. (figure eight? :))

Thanks all for your energy and talents! I will send out an announcement directing the entire member list to this thread so everybody will know about it.

One last comment
If you see a piece which has been posted on this site which you would like to see in the book, please email me a link to studioeightbooks@aol.com. I will then contact the author or visual artist and ask him or her to submit the piece if interested.
Last edited by Doreen Peri on April 5th, 2008, 10:12 am, edited 4 times in total.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » September 21st, 2006, 3:53 pm

Geesh.. I sent out ONE email to the group directing the members to this thread and I got 3 copies of it!

If you got more than one copy, I'm so sorry! I don't know what went wrong. Some software glitch or something.

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » September 21st, 2006, 4:08 pm

I like the idea for the title of the book "Infinity Sideways". Could I suggest this one as a possibility "Infinity 8". As in Studio 8 forever!!!! :D
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 20th, 2009, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

firsty

Post by firsty » September 21st, 2006, 4:38 pm

title ideas:

go figure

infinity up

studio 8: raising hell forever

the headless snowman

loop
and knowing i'm so eager to fight cant make letting me in any easier.

[url=http://stealthiswiki.nine9pages.com]Steal This Book Vol 2[/url]

[url=http://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?26032]Get some hosting![/url]

Axanderdeath

Post by Axanderdeath » September 21st, 2006, 6:31 pm

so if I had some poetry when do I have till to give it to you? and how many can I send?
thus spoke G.A.P.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » September 21st, 2006, 7:06 pm

Good titles, firsty! We'll do a poll later on. If anybody wants to suggest titles, you can do that right here.

Dave? I doubt very much that S8 will last forever. lol ..but thanks for the kind thought.

Geoff... as it says above, you have until Oct 31st and you can submit no more than 8. :)

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » September 21st, 2006, 11:44 pm

i love 'loop'
i think we could do a group poem named loop and use it for the dedication.

infinity sideways is okay. It's classy.
and it leads my mind to a kind of sumi-e style pen and ink drawing for a cover.

october 31st deadline! that's a gutsy decision, doreen. very clever. it'll get us moving.
i got only one e-mail and i was very happy to receive it.

next, about being previously published. This, for me, is a hmmmm situation.

ray soulard has taken quite a few poems and included them in pdf books available online but easily printed at home. What do you think? Would it be an infringement of any kind to publish them in this anthology?

Why don't people like aol, by the way?

and other than that, happy new year. Tonight is Rosh Hashana - time for a new revolution of the Jewish calendar...we're almost kickin 6000 (give or take a few hundred)

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » September 22nd, 2006, 12:11 am

I like 'loop' too. A group loop? hmm.. heh.. cool idea! an 8 is 2 loops... sorta like a mobius strip. Mobius is a cool word too.

About the deadline, judih, I thought if we pushed it to do it quicker it would be better than giving too much time because that keeps it exciting and I know me... without a close deadline, I procrastinate and lose the edge.. then when it comes time to meet the deadline, I have to start all over to get myself psyched.

Talk to Ray and ask him. If he didn't make any agreement with you that the poems he published in his pdf books would be exclusive rights, it will be OK.

I was thinking of first-time published works but now that you mention it, if someone else published your work for a one-time published right like we're doing, then why not allow those, too? I'll go change the initial post to reflect this. Thanks, judih!

Happy New Year to you! 6000 years? damn! You all celebrate it right! That calendar makes much more sense to me than 2000 years. We've been around this planet for a long time! ;)

Why do people like AOL? I donno. I like it because it's what I got used to for managing my mail.... that's definitely all I use it for. *shrug*...

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » September 22nd, 2006, 12:26 am

cool.
will be back.
i do believe that according to your wording, my personal situation is safe.

But i'll be back to report.

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » September 22nd, 2006, 2:28 am

alright. Ray has confirmed. i've got rights to anything he's used in his fabulous Cenacle magazine (yes, a shameless plug).

by the way, dor, the motorcycle banner on the site right now gave me a flash of high heeled shoes at first glance. Check out the purple bike and imagine a sleek foot inserted.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » September 22nd, 2006, 2:36 am

judih... i must have changed the banner right after you posted... I didn't see your post when i changed it... we're here at the same time.. cool!..... just stopped by and got sorta dizzy with color.. great bike photo tho.. by cheryl from AC

Great! glad it's cool and yeah, recently i've been reading Ray's work here (Cenacle... he's a fine poet!) and I'd love to shamelessly promote via linking right now but i don't have a link! Great work he's doing! I love the magazine! I hope he submits to this endeavor also.

goodnight

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » September 22nd, 2006, 2:41 am

cheryl at AC? what's her login name?
great photo.

yes, same time, zaps in the wind.
a new cenacle should be out shortly - and i'll post a link in the uniting the arts location.

night!

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » September 22nd, 2006, 11:17 am

nannabug is cheryl's AC screen name.
Looking forward to the link!
good morning! :)

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » September 24th, 2006, 3:57 pm

awesome
mercy
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

Cenacle

Post by Cenacle » September 26th, 2006, 1:58 pm

Hi Doreen, Jude, and all,

I posted a link to the new Cenacle at another forum here, it's http://www.studioeight.tv/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8194

Thanks for the compliments :) Jude long wanted me to come here, told me it's a very welcoming place, she's right :)

I wanted to offer my editorial experience toward helping this book project. I've got some background in this arena, and would be happy to share the load. It's a great idea for bringing far-flung people together in a meaningful, tangible way.

Let me know!

PS--my signature in this post links to the Scriptor Press website. Lots of our projects are there in free downloadable form (PDFs and mp3s). Please visit when you have a chance :) Sign the guestbook too!

Return to “S8 Community Books”